Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2014, 02:39   #61

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: What is the Nicest, Most Elegant, Most Posh Marina You've Been To?

Depending on your definitions, I would have to say that San Diego Yacht Club is one of the nicest yacht clubs that I'm aware of. Take a look at their reciprocal policies towards yachtsmen from other clubs: Three free nights berthing, on a space available basis - that's pretty nice. Tennis courts, swimming pool, large sail wash area, laundry facilities - I wouldn't call those things posh but they're pretty nice, too. The club recently completed a $13M sailing center that's primarily focused on teaching young people how to sail.

The club house facilities are elegant but maybe not as impressive as St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco or New York Yacht Club. My family and I have had many a memorable meal at the SDYC dining room and some great times at the club's bar. For all of you skeptics who insist that it's sailing skills that are often missing at yacht clubs, keep in mind that the San Diego Yacht Club has won the America's Cup twice (by an SDYC member, Dennis Conner) and there are more Olympic gold medal winners from SDYC than any other American yacht club.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 16:29   #62

Boat: Catalina 270
Re: What is the Nicest, Most Elegant, Most Posh Marina You've Been To?

By far, my tow favorite are Peter Island Yacht Club, on Peter Island (BVIs) and the Bitter End Yacht Club, North Sound, Virgin Gorda (also in the BVIs).

But the main Harbour marina in St-Barth has got the "hyper poshness" to impress. Mega yachts galore!
Tommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote