Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 18:06   #1

What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

Please enlighten me. Many here LOVE to mention that they "single hand" Well good for you.

Why do people say this all the time? Is it a form of braggadocio or what?

From what little I know, many if not most competent sailors can single hand....so what?

To me, boating, cruising, sailing is something to be shared and enjoyed with friends, family and loved ones. Personally, life is too short to spend alone....esp sleeping alone. IMHO, sailing is OK fun....not super exciting...but is a COMPLETELY different experience with my gal.....makes all the difference in the world. So again...why all the bravado about single handling?

Not to be insulting...but I REALLY don't get this.
Old 06-06-2015, 18:26   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

Single handing, solo sailing, solo anything is usually the ultimate challenge. Being totally self reliant and self sufficient. Most of the great documented voyages have been written by or about single handed sailors. Man or woman and yacht against the elements, amazing tales of survival. Take 'all is lost' as an example ( ok just kidding! ) Take Slocum, Mortissier, Dumas or Taberly or any of the golden globe/vendee globe sailors. Sailing solo is more difficult than sailing with a crew and most sailors have the utmost respect for any that attempt or complete prolonged voyages offshore alone. I know I do.
That said, some are just a bit crazy and don't play well with others
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 18:36   #3

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

Some people want peace and quiet and they dwell on solitude. I have a few questions for you...

Do you not feel comfortable with yourself?

Why do you need to have someone with you?

Are you scared to be alone?
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 18:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Some people want peace and quiet and they dwell on solitude. I have a few questions for you...

Do you not feel comfortable with yourself?

Why do you need to have someone with you?

Are you scared to be alone?
Since I started this thread, I will answer you....

I'm an airline pilot....going on 37 years. I've spent a MAJORITY of my adult "working life" alone on a layover somewhere. ( Drinking beer with crew doesn't count)

No....I'm not afraid of being alone and I'm VERY comfortable with myself. lol

No....I don't HAVE to have someone with me......but I sure as hell enjoy life A LOT more with my smoking hot lady than I would "boating" alone of all things.

Are you a "single handler"?
Old 06-06-2015, 18:56   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

That said, [most] are just a bit crazy and don't play well with others [/QUOTE]

There, fixed it for you.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 18:57   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

Being alone on a layover is not the same as solitude. Some of us "Single handers" are just old curmudgeons prefer our own company to the incessant chatter of the unthinking. Some of us find a spiritual connection with the interaction of the sea, wind, and the vessel that is experienced by solo interaction. Some of us just don't have the patience to wait around for someone else to show up for us to enjoy our vessels or time at sea. I do not propose to be speaker for all who "Single hand" this is just some of the thoughts of one "Single hander", I have never done it for bragging rights or to gain some kind of following. I go to sea for my own reasons and could care less if someone else likes or dislikes my reasoning.
Old 06-06-2015, 18:57   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Saleen,

This is all about opinion, right? And we all have them and we don't HAVE to agree.

That said, I think people mention singlehanding because it makes life more difficult: without crew, there's no backup if you're tired or could use a hand, or feel lonely. Mentioning it also tells us that they have had to figure out how to do *whatever* on their boat, have worked out idiosyncratic ways that work for them, and may not "fit" for others of us. Some may mention it because they are proud of it. Others may not be able to help themselves and are suffering from "singlehanders' disease:" excessive garrulousness.

Ann
Old 06-06-2015, 18:57   #8
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
No....I don't HAVE to have someone with me......but I sure as hell enjoy life A LOT more with my smoking hot lady than I would "boating" alone of all things.
Some of us aren't blessed with smoking hot ladies (or even plain old ladies) and have no choice but to sail alone.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:01   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

It's freedom to come and go at ones leisure.
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:02   #10

Does your junk function? If so, that smoking hot lady may produce a mini airline pilot.

So, while she's taking care of maverick or iceman, who's going to be sailing your boat? Momma goose, maverick or iceman? None of the above- it's going to be you.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:07   #11

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I think you got a lotta great answers so I'll just say it reminds me of a saying motorcyclists have... If you have to ask you'll never understand
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:07   #12

Saleen, I think the tone of your OP is the part that is insulting.

If you ask a question, you might want to consider doing it in at least a respectful manner.

Many folks like to "hang" with people. Others like the challenge of accomplishment and responsibility that comes from an individual pursuit.

Just like there is no "best" boat, there is no "right" answer.

You are entitled to your opinion and to do the things you enjoy in the manner you see fit.

Others choose to do it differently.

And most of us can do it with equal respect to both.

PS - I do BOTH.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 19:16   #13

Quote:
Some may mention it because they are proud of it.
Hi Ann,

This is what I'm getting...that this is some point of pride issue.

I'm just not sure why it's mentioned SOOO often, which is why I started this thread. If it's germain to the topic, I understand it...Like..." I wear this or do this because I'm a single handler"

But what I'm reading is ....."I'm a single handler no matter what and I want everybody to know it"

I know this sounds a bit harsh.....I don't mean to be and I don't wanna piss on the guys and gals that enjoy their solitude or those that take pride in the challenges that come from being totally self reliant. Good for them. To each their own.

I knew I was probably gonna get flamed for this....which is ok though never pleasant. Just figured that learning from another's perspective is a good thing. I'm sure there are some interesting stories as to WHY people choose to sail alone.
Old 06-06-2015, 19:19   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

Funny, I haven't run into that mentality here.
Old 06-06-2015, 19:26   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, I'll have a go at it, Saleen,

You are a pilot... I bet that you normally fly with a co-pilot, and that you value his presence every time you need to go to the head, stretch out a charley-horse, grab a snack, or attend to any chore that takes you away from your seat in the cockpit. CAn you fly the plane alone? Of course you can. Can most competent sailors sail the boat alone? For a while, and u nder decent conditions, of course they can. But extending that thought to extended cruising, dealing with heavy conditions, doing the many chores on board where a second set of hands are useful, maintaining adequate watchkeeping... all of those things are a hell of a lot more difficult solo. And that's why folks often mention the fact that they will be single handing in their posts. It's not bragging, it is letting respondents know the situation, for an answer appropriate to a solo sailor is often different from that for a crewed vessel.

Now, as to why one would choose to sail alone, that's a different question. The fact that you prefer company is fine, but has little bearing on other's choices, and certainly does not mean that that choice is somehow wrong in an absolute sense. I can't speak for others but here are some of the reasons I chose to race single-handed many years ago: it was a challenge to my seamanship, it forced me to learn new skills, I liked the other skippers in the fleet better than those in the crewed racing arena, and I didn't have the issues of attracting and maintaining a competent crew for a busy off-shoreracing schedule. I competed in four full years of OYRA racing out of San Francisco, learned a hell of a lot, enjoyed the competition and the camaraderie after the races and had no regrets about it. OH... I was also racing with a crew in the Bay all the while, and doing local cruising with my lady friend. I dunno if she was "smoking hot" by your definition, but she has been my cruising mate for nearly thirty y ears now, and I reckon that's a pretty good credential.

So, perhaps you didn't mean to be insulting, but your dismissal of single handing as something trivial that you "just don't get" is a bit demeaning to those folks who do get it and enjoy the practice.

Cheers,

Jim (ex single-hander)

Tags
single