Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 15:14   #106

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

I fall into the above category. My wife does not like sailing and has no interest in learning. As far as she's concerned sailing is my hobby and I'm welcome to it, as long as she doesn't have to pull on any ropes or navigate, however she will occasionally steer which I encourage, and proved to be quite useful recently when I had battery issues and couldn't run my auto pilot.

My wife does however like boat rides, she likes tanning on the foredeck, swimming, visiting nice places and mingling at the yacht club. I'm not saying she doesn't help out- she does, she likes to do the cooking and cleaning taking care of the boy, but as far as she's concerned the actual sailing is boy stuff.

This is a great compromise that works 90% of the time. When it doesn't work- is when it's windy or rough, she doesn't do windy or rough unless it's a transit. As mentioned above, I like sailing. I like my over built bomb proof sailing machine, which needs significant wind and seas to make the experience very much fun.

The result? I either find one of my brothers who both have careers and one of whom has his own cruising boat he is trying to find time to sail, one of my friends who are generally employed, or more often then not I single hand.

I only singlehand in over 20 knots, because below that my wife is happy to join me. When it's over 20, she is more then happy to snack and mingle at the club house. It's my love (for actual sailing) that causes me to single hand.

Before I met my wife, I was full time living aboard on my (then smaller) boat. I liked living alone on my boat she was very much a sailing boat first and a comfortable boat last. During this time frame, I was on an extended leave of absence from the Coast Guard and had all the time in the world to sail around the great lakes at my leisure. Now, as mentioned, my friends work, so the only way to accomplish this was single handed. Otherwise- I would have wasted my valuable leave of absence sitting at the dock.

Now- for me maneuvering the boat in crowded marinas is a non issue. I was formerly a professional captain, who amongst other vessels was a ferry captain- and would make upwards of 1000 docks a year, with 100's of passengers on board in busy harbours, so maneuvering a 35' sailboat is a total non issue for me. I'm also a very good navigator. What I'm not- is a great sailor, so sail handling, especially in high winds provides a great deal of challenge for me, that challenge is exciting. As far as the bravado? I guess I enjoy watching the old guys at the club grinning and shaking there heads when I come in after single handing for the day in high winds and seas- sure I get a kick out of that.

Long rant- but that's why I singlehand. Much of the time it's the only way to participate in the sport that is sailing vs the activity of cruising.

Coincidentally, my wife and I both work in the airline industry, but I fail to see the relevance of the link between flying and the very corporate commercial airline industry. That may just because I used to be a mariner, which skills I find much more relevant to sailing.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:16   #107

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Tell that to Robin Lee Graham, Tania Aebi, J Slocum, Jessica Watson, Zac Sunderland, etc.....

Oh, look. My Avatar picture looks familiar all of a sudden.............

It appears sometimes people believe they will live forever. I have found out recently that it isn't always the case.

You can be safe and sail the pond, lake, or have 5 crewmen on your boat and maybe things will workout.

But you are a dead man either way. Now or later. Been to a nursing home lately? I take chances all the time and that will increase when I retire or lose my job...............

We all need to enjoy life every minute. I was taught this lesson very recently...........
I have found out recently that it isn't always the case.

Sorry, such is life. I would prefer not to know. If I read between the lines correctly,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:52   #108

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote from Saleem: "From what little I know,"....huff' said.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:59   #109

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I think it really takes a special kind of person to even want to single hand for long distances. I've know Ronnie Simpson since before he bought, and lost, his first boat. I was so doubtful that he'd ever get back on the horse after the rescue....but here he is today -

Open Blue Horizon - Home

Pretty amazing kid in my opinion, considering how his first solo offshore passage went - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-20095.html

Ralph
Wow! I've followed Ronnie S. off & on for awhile too but somehow missed this video. Pretty much answers the OP's question & then some. I hope Ronnie fulfills his dream of participating in the Glove Vendeč, and I certainly wouldn't bet against him!

Thanks for posting this, RTB. I'm off to his blogsite now to catch up on this remarkable & inspiring story.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:11   #110

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Being alone out on the ocean is simply very dangerous and in fact, I'd say indicates poor judgement and seamanship. If you have no other choice, well, we all have choices.
I've only discovered this thread this morning. I'm reading through all of them as I'm very interested in the topic. Some people have been offended at what the 'tone' of the OP's post was as it seemed offensive. Other's havnt realised that he's apologised twice for that supposed 'offence' and have to continue to have a go.

But this post, is without doubt the most offensive. So clearly aimed at causing offence, I'm guessing it's been posted by someone intending on trolling. not helpful at all.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:14   #111

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum, driving a car is also very dangerous, yet almost everyone does it. I think its far more dangerous then sailing single handed. But then I avoid driving on highways as much as possible.
But you don't go to sleep and let the car continue
on down the road...or do you?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:14   #112

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I remember bragging to someone I met about bringing a Southern Cross 39 back into Victoria in Force 12 against a 6 knot current by myself. He listened attentively then told me how his crab boat went down in the Bering where he was the sole survivor and was picked up a few days later floating in his survival suit. Can't say I brag less but possibly learned a bit of humility.
Maybe learning humility is what blue water solo sailing is all about.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:43   #113

To the OP

Thank you for the best read I've had for quite some time. I'm a Pilot ( and I brag as much as I can about it), though I'm only flying the little planes, I take great pride that I can do it.

My interest in your post is that I'm itching to sail solo. I've come to sailing late in life at 50. So far I love it and I'm preparing my 36 foot ketch for retirement. Like Family Van, my wife likes the calm weather and ports but hates (dispises) anything that makes the boat Rock (e,g anything over 5 knots of wind). My wife likes to travel by plane, so she's happy to meet me in places and spend four or five days 'motoring' around. So the plan is, she will fly and I'll meet her places in my home away from home.

So far, in the past almost four years, I've not had the balls to try it alone. I planned on my first solo last summer but before I could leave the river head I had an engine problem followed by a PSP seal problem. By the time I rectified them I'd lost my window to enter the port at my destination (just four hours away). But, the odd thing is, when ever I sail with the family, I'm basically doing everything anyway, so I don't know what I'm worried about.

The other thing is, I have lots of people who say they would love to come sailing with me, but when the time comes they don't have the time. I personally don't know any solo sailors in my area. But we have the biggest majority of boats per population across Australia that never get used.

But this summer I definately am going to get out for four or five days, alone to begin with.

That's my practical reason. I also have a spiritual reason or emotional reason I want to try it. When I've been out on an extended journey (max 4 weeks), and my crew are then sleeping and I'm alone on deck with the sails up, the wind is right, the waves are hypnotic, the sunsets beautiful, well, there's something magical about the solitude that I want to experience.

And I have a smoking hot wife too who I've been with for almost 35 years, and she's still smoken hot. I don't expect that to diminish at all.
Old 07-06-2015, 16:50   #114

Boat: Oyster 55

well it didn't go so well for Donald Crowhurst
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:58   #115

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

You must have also offended Rustic Charm...

Is it good judgement to purposely put yourself in this situation?

Like sailing into a storm because you are so good, you can handle it.
Or is it better to avoid it or not leave at all.

Having no watch, no way to call for help when you get injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
hmmmm . . . . no one else seems to have said it straight out . . .. but distance single-handing is in fact significantly more challenging, difficult and also risky.
Old 07-06-2015, 17:00   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
well it didn't go so well for Donald Crowhurst
That's true, but how much of it was due to the anxiety of being solo and how much to the gilt of deceiving the the entire sailing world and getting caught on a world stage. very sad.
Old 07-06-2015, 17:04   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
You must have also offended Rustic Charm...

Is it good judgement to purposely put yourself in this situation?

Like sailing into a storm because you are so good, you can handle it.
Or is it better to avoid it or not leave at all.

Having no watch, no way to call for help when you get injured.
That's not the question of the thread though.

You seem intent on changing the topic why don't 'you' start a new thread rather than hijack this one to get your rise your after.
Old 07-06-2015, 17:04   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
But you don't go to sleep and let the car continue
on down the road...or do you?

I don't even own a car so it's a non issue. However in the middle of the ocean, I personally see nothing wrong with a singlehander taking a nap. It's done all the time and so far, I've not heard any issues with that from single handers.

Surely you don't think the cargo ships of the world stand a watch 24/7.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 17:09   #119

Boat: Oyster 55

yes sort of a Shakespearean Tragedy.
however sometimes I also think his boat was a POS which didn't help matters.
ironically his mental stability sort of matched the quality of the boat he sailed.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 17:09   #120
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Surely you don't think the cargo ships of the world stand a watch 24/7.
I surely surely do hope so !!!!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single