Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:35   #76

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

Being alone out on the ocean is simply very dangerous and in fact, I'd say indicates poor judgement and seamanship. If you have no other choice, well, we all have choices.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:52   #77

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

When I was a kid I read "Gypsy Moth Circles The World" which filled me with fantastic dreams. I read all of Chichester's books. Then I began sailing (much of it single handed) and loved it. Now I prefer to, not only sail with other people, but also prefer having other boats around instead of having an anchorage to myself. I can see both sides. Different strokes for different blokes. If everyone was the same it would be one boring world.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:53   #78

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Single handing, solo sailing, solo anything is usually the ultimate challenge. Being totally self reliant and self sufficient. Most of the great documented voyages have been written by or about single handed sailors. Man or woman and yacht against the elements, amazing tales of survival. Take 'all is lost' as an example ( ok just kidding! ) Take Slocum, Mortissier, Dumas or Taberly or any of the golden globe/vendee globe sailors. Sailing solo is more difficult than sailing with a crew and most sailors have the utmost respect for any that attempt or complete prolonged voyages offshore alone. I know I do.
That said, some are just a bit crazy and don't play well with others
It would seem to be your summary!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54   #79
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Being alone out on the ocean is simply very dangerous and in fact, I'd say indicates poor judgement and seamanship. If you have no other choice, well, we all have choices.
Well, there have been some pretty silly comments posted to this thread so far, but that one's gonna be tough to beat...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:57   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Hum, driving a car is also very dangerous, yet almost everyone does it. I think its far more dangerous then sailing single handed. But then I avoid driving on highways as much as possible.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:05   #81

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

As usual I'm late to the party but I want to put my 2 cents in...

When I single hand, it's because I don't have a daughter, friend, or partner around. It's not that I'm bragging, cuz believe me there is a lot for me to learn and I need all the practice I can get.

When I comment on the forum that I single hand it is an FYI to give the reader context for my answer or opinion... size of my boat, accommodations, route taken, how the boat is rigged, etc.

Speaking of which, I sure like what I've learned about Harry Pidgeon "Around the World Single-Handed" Home Page, perhaps reading him, or about him, will provide a little insight into Single-Handers.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:19   #82

Quote:
No worries, mate!

Oh BTW, have you noticed that a lot of posters here are pilots... and seem to mention it frequently? What's the big deal... I don't get it (just kidding, despite the true observation).
Touche'

Danged if I didn't violate my own rules.....Heavy equipment operator or into high speed aluminum tubing just didn't work with the alone time thing.

Again, I know I struck a few nerves.....bad form on my part.

Two of several faux pas.... Never mention ones occupation and never comment on the significant other's appearance.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
But your tone is denigatory anyway and you should rethink your attitude.
Sailing is a different thing to different people and while I do not singlehand myself for more than a day at a time (I like to have a decent sleep) I do understand others that do so for a variety of reasons:
Love of solitude
Personal achievement
Lack of crew
The list is as long as the number of singlehanders
You're absolutely right....the thread came off as mean spirited and obnoxious....

I would like to blame it on jet lag, but that's no excuse.

Again, my apologies
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30   #84

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
A solo day sail is a great thing to clear your mind.

Anything with nobody standing watch I can't understand?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:31   #85

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Saleen. Despite the tenor of your question, I want to thank you for posting it... I enjoyed so many of the answers and feel I've gotten to know many of the posters a little better.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34   #86

In my case the relatively limited space in my boat does not accommodate more than one person comfortably for more than say the time it takes to consume a cup of coffee. Especially if they're strangers.

However, I believe married couples have managed to sail long voyages in the same type boat without ultimately splitting the sheets.

The likelyhood of a successful match increases as the level of intimacy goes up. Being close is not so much of an issue and a small space is more easily shared.

Another factor is the irrational fear most people have toward sailing on the ocean in a 27' boat. Not easy finding courageous, adventurous crew willing to do so.

In the end, buying a bigger boat as good as or better in terms of design, quality and construction as my diminuitive boat was not an option. So, faced with the choice of going or not going because I could not find crew, I decided to go anyway.

That was about 40,000 n.m. and two near global circumnavigations ago. Mostly alone, managing on rare occasions to find backpackers broke enough but still needing to get to their next gig bad enough to sign on...

Singlehanding is hard work. Period.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Yes, it's a form of braggadocio. A long passage single handed is a big accomplishment. Also berthing and unberthing and handling a larger boat single handed is a fair accomplishment. Running an ocean going boat at sea is a fairly complex job which normally requires a couple of people, better several people. To do it yourself is kind of a big deal.

Some people single hand a lot because they can't find crew or don't have any friends.

Others do it because it's different and challenging and satisfying.

I am a gregarious sort, have lots of friends, and a long list of excellent crew. I enjoy cruising in company and like to have 4 or 5 people on board (and up to 7, which is how many my boat sleeps without the saloon). Having plenty of qualified people on board makes it much less stressful and gives you more time to enjoy it, especially on long passages. I really enjoy sailing, cooking, drinking, and socializing with my friends on board, preferably a few of them. This is different from many people who don't really like to have anyone on board except their spouses.

But I also single hand, and I really enjoy that, too. I also really enjoy the looks on the faces of onlookers when I dock a 54' boat all by myself, I have to admit. But I would certainly not want to do it every day. But I do it quite a bit. I even did a North Sea transit single handed once, and in bad weather to boot. That was a real challenge, one of those things which feels really good when you stop
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:36   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
There is a fairly good argument that being alone on the ocean for a longer period of time than you can reasonably stay awake and alert is at least somewhat dangerous, and I would even agree with it.

But for less than that? A single overnight or a long day sail? Tell me you didn't mean that this would be "poor judgement and seamanship."
Old 07-06-2015, 11:38   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Saleen. Despite the tenor of your question, I want to thank you for posting it... I enjoyed so many of the answers and feel I've gotten to know many of the posters a little better.
Thank you sir.....I've enjoyed reading the responses as well...uh, well most anyway.:big grin:

Just did a bad job broaching the subject matter.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:54   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
One of my points of conflict with most folks who come sail on my boat is my desire / intent / obsession with sailing.

- constant sail trimming
- put up the spinnaker, take down the spinnaker, raise the drifter...etc
- ghosting along at 2 knots with no hope of getting where we planned to go
- pounding to weather with a double reefed main and staysail in driving rain
- changing the destination three or four times a day depending on what the wind gives me
- suddenly leaving the anchorage with little warning or planning because an unexpected wind has come up
- leaving for a 10-day cruise with no schedule, no destination, and no commitment as to when/where it will end

Few of my sailing companions thought any of the above was a good time. I thought all the above was the essence of sailing.
We were clearly separated at birth!

But I do have a number of friends who enjoy at least some of the listed items

Tags
single