Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 10:13   #241

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

I love hearing or reading about any & all sailing passage stories, but somehow the ones accomplished via singlehanding are usually the most interesting & inspiring. While I usually enjoy having crew on my own passages, the ones that I've solo'd are likewise that much more gratifying.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08   #242

Sailing alone, single handing, going solo. Like Janice Joplin says, "It's all the same damned thing!"

The hard part of doing whatever you want to call it is the fatigue. So yes, the longer the passage sailing alone is hard.

I'm amused by the condension displayed by some in this forum toward people like me who have been sailing from the get go - 25 years ago - entirely alone. And during that time, completed the better part of two global circumnavigations.

Never felt alone or lonely. And when I arrived at my destinations thouroughly enjoyed the company of people, no matter their color, religion, level of education or political stripe. I never needed anyone to help manage the boat 'cause she's set up for sailing alone.

Was I ever concerned? Sure. Afraid? No. Close calls? A couple, but in broad daylight while I was awake. Same stuff that can happen to crewed boats.

Lots of talk here about the danger sailing alone presents to others on account of no one on watch... Well, if you need examples, take mine. 40,000 plus miles sailing the South Pacific, Indian Ocean, Atlantic and Gulf pf Mexico with nary a mishap. Nobody was injured or killed on my account.

And, if illness didn't prevent it I'd go again.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:23   #243

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Sailing alone, single handing, going solo. Like Janice Joplin says, "It's all the same damned thing!"

The hard part of doing whatever you want to call it is the fatigue. So yes, the longer the passage sailing alone is hard.

I'm amused by the condension displayed by some in this forum toward people like me who have been sailing from the get go - 25 years ago - entirely alone. And during that time, completed the better part of two global circumnavigations.

Never felt alone or lonely. And when I arrived at my destinations thouroughly enjoyed the company of people, no matter their color, religion, level of education or political stripe. I never needed anyone to help manage the boat 'cause she's set up for sailing alone.

Was I ever concerned? Sure. Afraid? No. Close calls? A couple, but in broad daylight while I was awake. Same stuff that can happen to crewed boats.

Lots of talk here about the danger sailing alone presents to others on account of no one on watch... Well, if you need examples, take mine. 40,000 plus miles sailing the South Pacific, Indian Ocean, Atlantic and Gulf pf Mexico with nary a mishap. Nobody was injured or killed on my account.

And, if illness didn't prevent it I'd go again.
Best post of the entire thread as far as I'm concerned!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:36   #244

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

Lots of talk here about the danger sailing alone presents to others on account of no one on watch...
Come to think of it... a Sailboat with no one on watch is probably speeding along at about 6 knots. Unless the potential victim is anchored, moored, or on shore, what fully crewed boat/ship can't avoid getting hit by that?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think a more knowledgeable crew fir day trios is fine but NOT for longer passages. Thats the time to settle back, relax, and put into practise what you have been taught, and to figure out the rest of it yourself.

As for tired and exhausted: just do things slowly. Do the fewest things you can and sleep a lot. Take your naps before you start to get tired

Mark
Since I'm not a liveaboard yet my sail trips are usually with either my g/f (which is actually pretty close to singlehanding) or sailing buddies. And since I'm still working I don't want my sailing experience to feel like an extension of my work. Not that my job is so hard physically but mentally can be unnerving at times. Anyway I hear what you're saying and will most likely do exactly just that, once I'm established on board permanently. Perhaps then I will even look forward to a challenge that single hand sailing will present just to break up the monotony of being stuck in one place.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:53   #246
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Take your naps before you start to get tired

Mark
Like a cat, take a nap to rest up for sleeping later
Old 09-06-2015, 12:56   #247
CLOD

Boat: none

BTW - best to single hand a BIG boat, better survival chance if you hit one of th0se little old brick shithouse boats that can't get out of your way!
Old 09-06-2015, 12:59   #248

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

What I've said, sailing solo is taking more risk than those with crew.
Voluntarily taking more risk == Less seamanship.
Has nothing to do with how much skill, friends, or lovers you have.

A delivery captain not having crew is a better seaman than one who takes crew? I don't think so.

The 'gatekeepers' as markj calls it, are not the opinions on a forum, but the insurance companies, who get paid to keep score on this issue.

Quote:
There are very few, if any, insurance companies that will write single hand, ocean crossing policies.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-14167.html
Old 09-06-2015, 13:01   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Come to think of it... a Sailboat with no one on watch is probably speeding along at about 6 knots.
Shaky assumption to say the least. Anyone sailing alone will judge whether they should heave-to or continue sailing. If continuing to sail is the choice, which sail plan should be deployed? You can continue down the dtk under a triple reefed main and no foresail, slowing the boat considerably. Some will favor flying a foresail and no main. This has NEVER been my choice because absent a mainsail there'll be no heaving to. What is your level of confidence no other traffic is in your area? How distant are you from any type of hazard or land? Is current an important consideration? What do those senses you've developed over the years tell you? Just how fatigued are you and what's more important, rest and holding your relative position or making way? It's called making decisions based on your best judgement.

Quote:
Unless the potential victim is anchored, moored, or on shore, what fully crewed boat/ship can't avoid getting hit by that?
Not sure of what your asking here.
Old 09-06-2015, 13:12   #250

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I can't believe I am quoting Taylor Swift: "Haters gotta hate".

My years of single-handing have been punctuated by folks with the arrogance to tell me that I shouldn't be doing it, shouldn't be allowed to be doing it. Oh, and I really love the insinuation that single-handers are somehow "damaged" people. Yet it is OK for someone with deep pockets and no experience to buy a gold-plater and take family and friends to sea. Utter nonsense.

Just having crew does not assure a safer passage. I have had crew fall asleep on watch in the middle of the San Juan de Fuca TSS, another (an Alaskan crab fisherman no less) become incapacitated and hug a bucket in heavy going, another (who was finishing a Yachtmaster) go on the wrong side of a lit buoy - the keel just clearing the reef, and a couple who repeatedly ignored my standing orders on wearing harnesses and tethers (and relieving themselves overboard at sea). I have learned to trust myself, my skills and experience, my boat, and my various aids: wind vane, autopilot, AIS, radar, depth sounder, etc. I don't brag about it, and haven't met any single-handers who do, but I am guilty of being proud of my self-sufficiency. The truth is there is seldom anything to brag about: my passages tend to be rather uneventful affairs - I avoid situations where heroic efforts would ever be called for.

I got started because a crew left me stranded in the middle of nowhere (Neah Bay in November) due to a combination of weather, illness, and that greatest of evils: schedules. So I had no choice but to bring her home alone, down the coast and over the Columbia River bar - with an engine that failed soon after departing. I learned that I could do it. After a truly miserable experience with a couple in Central America I learned that it might actually be preferable. I still take on crew, on occasion, but now because I enjoy their company, not because I feel I need them. It is a very good place to be.

Those who rail about solo sailors being unsafe merely expose their own lack of experience. Merchant ships frequently don't respond to VHF hails, and don't "see" small boats on radar because they have turned down the sensitivity to prevent false collision alarms. They can't visually detect anything but another ship due to all of the bright lights aboard. Is that an adequate watch? And I have a special place in my heart for the many fishermen who operate without lights, (all) asleep overnight near their nets/pots, and return to port on autopilot with everyone on the mid/afterdeck cleaning fish and stowing gear. Solo sailors are mere amateurs in the business of creating hazards.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 13:15   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What I've said, sailing solo is taking more risk than those with crew.

Voluntarily taking more risk == Less seamanship.
So, you're saying taking risk on a crewed boat is good seamanship only because there's less risk than that assumed by anyone sailing alone? Your logic suggests anyone who takes risks while sailing is exercising poor seamanship. More or less.

Quote:
Has nothing to do with how much skill, friends, or lovers you have.
Lovers and or friends don't matter. But, skill?

Quote:
A delivery captain not having crew is a better seaman than one who takes crew? I don't think so.
Who suggested such a thing?

Quote:
The 'gatekeepers' as markj calls it, are not the opinions on a forum, but the insurance companies, who get paid to keep score on this issue.
It'd be interesting to see the 'scores'. I'd guess most cruisers, let alone people sailing alone don't carry the types of insurance required anyway.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-14167.html[/quote]
Old 09-06-2015, 13:23   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

My years of single-handing have been punctuated by folks with the arrogance to tell me that I shouldn't be doing it, shouldn't be allowed to be doing it. Oh, and I really love the insinuation that single-handers are somehow "damaged" people. Yet it is OK for someone with deep pockets and no experience to buy a gold-plater and take family and friends to sea. Utter nonsense.

Just having crew does not assure a safer passage. I have had crew fall asleep on watch in the middle of the San Juan de Fuca TSS, another (an Alaskan crab fisherman no less) become incapacitated and hug a bucket in heavy going, another (who was finishing a Yachtmaster) go on the wrong side of a lit buoy - the keel just clearing the reef, and a couple who repeatedly ignored my standing orders on wearing harnesses and tethers (and relieving themselves overboard at sea). I have learned to trust myself, my skills and experience, my boat, and my various aids: wind vane, autopilot, AIS, radar, depth sounder, etc. I don't brag about it, and haven't met any single-handers who do, but I am guilty of being proud of my self-sufficiency. The truth is there is seldom anything to brag about: my passages tend to be rather uneventful affairs - I avoid situations where heroic efforts would ever be called for.

I got started because a crew left me stranded in the middle of nowhere (Neah Bay in November) due to a combination of weather, illness, and that greatest of evils: schedules. So I had no choice but to bring her home alone, down the coast and over the Columbia River bar - with an engine that failed soon after departing. I learned that I could do it. After a truly miserable experience with a couple in Central America I learned that it might actually be preferable. I still take on crew, on occasion, but now because I enjoy their company, not because I feel I need them. It is a very good place to be.

Those who rail about solo sailors being unsafe merely expose their own lack of experience. Merchant ships frequently don't respond to VHF hails, and don't "see" small boats on radar because they have turned down the sensitivity to prevent false collision alarms. They can't visually detect anything but another ship due to all of the bright lights aboard. Is that an adequate watch? And I have a special place in my heart for the many fishermen who operate without lights, (all) asleep overnight near their nets/pots, and return to port on autopilot with everyone on the mid/afterdeck cleaning fish and stowing gear. Solo sailors are mere amateurs in the business of creating hazards.

Greg
Your post takes me back to the Malacca Straits, reminds me of those occasions when ship's navigation lights were obscured by a brightly lit deck, ships ignored my effort to contact via V.H.F. to determine intentions and lots more. Comforting to know others like you confirm for me it was not all but a dream...

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2015, 13:34   #253
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I got started because a crew left me stranded in the middle of nowhere (Neah Bay in November) due to a combination of weather, illness, and that greatest of evils: schedules. So I had no choice but to bring her home alone, down the coast and over the Columbia River bar - with an engine that failed soon after departing. I learned that I could do it.
Greg
Greg- I have had exactly the same thing happen at Neah bay! How do you do the stretch between Astoria and Neah single handed? Where do you feel comfortable enough to rest?
Seems like I am always seeing something new in this section....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:12   #254
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
I think a more knowledgeable crew fir day trios is fine but NOT for longer passages. Thats the time to settle back, relax, and put into practise what you have been taught, and to figure out the rest of it yourself.Mark
It looks like you enjoy yourself while single-handing, Mark? I was hoping for another video from you on your crossing to NY.

What I see in MarkJ's video is confidence in himself and his boat. I've observed quite a few single-handers sneak quietly into an anchorage, or up to a mooring. More often than not, it's done very skillfully.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:13   #255

Boat: Bristol 27

There's no big deal about solo sailing. Most here just want to be like this guy but with crew. Too risky singlehanded!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solo.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	103475  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single