Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 17:06   #1

What is a "refit"

I see many ads for sailboats that say something like:

"1985 Sailboat X, completely refit in 2008."

Aside from changing seat covers, is there a standard number of items done with a "refit."
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:27   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: What is a "refit"

Simple. No.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:31   #3

Boat: Sabre 38

Maybe I should expand slightly. Don't pay attention to the word. See what they actually changed and if it matters to you and your budget.

For example - Does refit include changing items that are meant to wear out every 5 to 10 years. I don't think so, but define "refit" as you wish.

New engine is a refit. New bilge pump? Naw.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 17:41   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's all ship shape again? That is a pretty broad statement. They spent a bunch of money on the boat and fixed a bunch of stuff that had been put off?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 18:06   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not think there is a standard number.

I think it is a vocabulary thing and I call it a refit when either many things go or else fewer things get a major facelift.

A short boatyard stint I will call a haulout. Say half a year at the dock with her rigging replaced, engine overhauled and topsides sprayed could then be a refit. Etc.

If you go over the top, you end up with a re-build, btw.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 18:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

On the sales side it's a marketing term.

On the person doing it's side it's a cool nautical word that makes spending money more tolerable. Fixing old **** just doesn't sound as Yachty as "I'm doing a Refit"...that makes it sound so much more cool.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 20:15   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If you can't go sailing for six months due to works in progress its a refit...... and it would have to include new rigging.......

If you can't go sailing for twelve months its a rebuild...

If you can't go sailing for two years its a lost cause.......
Old 27-07-2016, 20:46   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
If you can't go sailing for six months due to works in progress its a refit...... and it would have to include new rigging.......

If you can't go sailing for twelve months its a rebuild...

If you can't go sailing for two years its a lost cause.......
I just got a good giggle thinking about an ad in Yachtworld:

This classic SuperSailerBoat is designed and built to cruise the globe in comfort with safety and ease of handling for short handed crews.Dbl cabins fwd with ensuites, crew cabin, day head, large galley, navigation table and large saloon. Sleeps 8 adults. This yacht was a total lost cause in 2012.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 20:47   #9

Boat: 1978 Rafiki 35

For example: My refit includes -all new paint inside and out
-new thru-hulls and seacocks
-new hoses and plumbing
-new standing rigging, running rigging and lifelines
-new mast lights, antenna and wiring
-rebuild windlass, winches and pumps
-new anchor locker hatch, chain and rode
-rebed deck hardware and new headliner
-new suncover for furling jib
-new shaft log and cutlass bearing

That seems like what was prudent after 38 years of sailing to help keep her fit for the next decade or so. Others might do less or more based on neglect, budget or time.
JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 21:00   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I see many ads for sailboats that say something like:

"1985 Sailboat X, completely refit in 2008."

Aside from changing seat covers, is there a standard number of items done with a "refit."
A refit is a generic term for replacement of obsolete, worn out or failed components.

There is no standard for refit. In sales speak it implies that the vessel is somewhat modernized from its original build configuration. It's also an opportunity for the broker to include a more recent date in the bio.

A survey will usually list and describe systems, components and things that have been refitted.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 21:23   #11

Nothing but a marketing term with no clear definition.

Like:
- Turn key
- Bristol condition (current use in marketing not the traditional meaning)
- Blue water
- Like New
- Rebuilt motor
- etc...

Ignore the marketing terms and look at what was actually done. If they really did a refit, they will list out all the stuff they did. If they don't list it out, they probably did the bottom paint and gave her a wash and wax...and not much more.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 08:31   #12

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

As a former yard owner I can say what we meant and the other yards around us were on a par with. Included inspection of and if needed repair or replacement of all critical operational components. This included anything that was essential to the safe operation of the boat at sea, from the hull on down to the bilge pumps. On sail boats that would include all rigging and the inspection of the sails.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 08:42   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Sorry but the answer is NO. Refit is one of those terms that means whatever the speaker wants it to mean. Treat it like another advertising claim-- false until proven true.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 08:48   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Linda - "refit" is relative, just like "middle aged" can mean absolutely anything, very subjective word.

Miriam Webster Dictionary: to make (something, such as a boat) ready for use again especially by adding new parts

Pinguino - 2 year/no sailing date coming up, 2 more jobs to do. I refuse to be a lost cause, just like a griffin we will rise!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 09:02   #15

TrentePieds was "refitted" a coupla years before she came to us. 35 grand was spent on a completely new standing rigging with all mod cons like mast furling main.

Furling didn't work right when she came to us - which is a separate argument from my innate detestation of mast furling in small boats. The stripper bars of 3 outta 4 winches pointed the wrong way and the fourt was only right - more or less - by accident. Wonder if there is a connexion? Did the "professional rigger" see the PO coming? After all, a forty-year-old "permanently reefed" boat (SA/Disp = 12.5) in the Salish Sea might have needed a new suit of sails and a few new strings, but that woulda been all. That shoulda cost maybe 10 grand.

So look not only at the extent (and cost) of the "refit" - look also at whether what was done meets the fundamental performance requirements for the water where you are going to operate the boat, and look at whether what was "refitted" suits your personal style of boat handling and your personal (your body's) requirements for comfort below.

There are many reasons why one might want to hire a "professional" to perform a given job. But it is NEVER fiscally prudent to do so UNLESS you know MORE about the job at hand than does the hiree. If you do not, you cannot monitor and supervise the "professional" adequately, and it is a given that anyone "making a living" will "jump where the fence is lowest" - using the cheapest materials he can get a way with and hurrying the job - not to mention using the cheapest labour available.

So when you get a whiff of "marketing" as you inevitably will do from boat brokers because the field is so competitive, ALWAYS assume that what the marketer claims was done was either superfluous to requirements or not done right by your lights.

Remember also that expenditures incurred by "refit" are NOT recoverable at resale time. They are simply "sunk costs" - as TrentePied's previous owner had to learn the hard way :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit