Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 12:43   #226
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 17,099
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

senormechanico may have a good idea there. How about, "PRIVATELY OWNED, info on use at 0408 xxx xxx". That is, if you are allowed to let others use your private mooring. Can't do it in NSW and be within the rules, but Qld may be different. At least if they called you, you could tell them you'd be using it, or not, and you'd have their number.

Dave, my Mom used to say, "Man proposes; God disposes." Best laid plans gang aft agley, and so on. Hope you get it all worked out to your satisfaction.

Now we know sort of where it is, I do see the problem, and it is likely it was either run over, or chafed through.

How aggravating!

Ann
__________________

__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 14:12   #227
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 55
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Raft up next to it? if you intend to leave it there, adjust the ground tackle so that they are rafted up to you with their ground tackle on their foredeck and yours on your ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I have applied for a private mooring and wondered what I would do if I found another boat on it with no one on board. Or someone anchored next to it.

We have to mark the bouy "private" and the name of the boat registered to it on the bouy.

Or is there a cleaver way to lock them off.
__________________

OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 15:20   #228
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 7,139
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Sucks to hear about the loss/sinking of your mooring.
When you get it back in operation, how about marking it PRIVATELY OWNED !!
I believe that in Canada it is a legal requirement for private moorings to be marked with PRIV, along with the name, address and telephone number of its owner.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...35/page-1.html

In my experierience NO ONE follows this law. But it is required, and a damn good idea.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 15:40   #229
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 8,106
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I believe that in Canada it is a legal requirement for private moorings to be marked with PRIV, along with the name, address and telephone number of its owner.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...35/page-1.html

In my experierience NO ONE follows this law. But it is required, and a damn good idea.
It is. Unfortunately in the US it seems like there is no such thing since it appears to be local and derelict boats have left a bad taste in the mouths of municipalities.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 15:52   #230
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 1,504
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Arrived yesterday and it's gone, no buoy no line, nothing.
Dave, hi and sorry to hear of your dilemma. A similar thing happened to a woman I met who returned to her mooring in Sydney Harbour after a trip to find it missing, she organised a diver only to find no block or anything so was up for an entirely new mooring. If that is the same as your situation I would definitely look at the resort neighbour and ask some questions. However more than likely some idiot has run over it and cut the line, a diver should be able to find it and attach a new line.


BTW, how is the fire situation there, are you smoked out or have the wind gods been kind and blown it down the coast to us. (LOL)
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 21:13   #231
Registered User
 
Simi 60's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Posts: 2,206
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

A possibly silly idea.

The main mooring buoy several feet under with a heavy , weighted snubber attached and to that, crab pot rope and float with your details on it.

To anyone who doesn't know its a crab pot, not a mooring.
To you, pull in crab pot and look at that......a mooring.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 21:23   #232
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,879
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Covered in barnacles....unless you cover it with antifouling paint.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 21:33   #233
Senior Cruiser
 
Dave_S's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Posts: 1,279
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Dave, hi and sorry to hear of your dilemma. A similar thing happened to a woman I met who returned to her mooring in Sydney Harbour after a trip to find it missing, she organised a diver only to find no block or anything so was up for an entirely new mooring. If that is the same as your situation I would definitely look at the resort neighbour and ask some questions. However more than likely some idiot has run over it and cut the line, a diver should be able to find it and attach a new line.


BTW, how is the fire situation there, are you smoked out or have the wind gods been kind and blown it down the coast to us. (LOL)
I haven't been down yet, it's about 8m at low tide, I hope the chain will still be there.

Fires were a bit of a worry, friends at Cowan had it at their fence but lots of firies came over from the mainland (48 they said), 4 trucks and the chopper sorted it out. Here we just had smoke and ash. Lots of smoke yesterday with the Northerly so I guess north coast and Fraser were still going. Last night the rain bought that wet fire smell so hopefully it put it out completely. There was a fire behind us, apparently it crossed Middle Road but it's out now and I haven't been for a look.
__________________
Regards
Dave
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35   #234
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 7,139
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It is. Unfortunately in the US it seems like there is no such thing since it appears to be local and derelict boats have left a bad taste in the mouths of municipalities.
I'm surprised it isn't part of most US State mooring laws. My understanding is that many of your jurisdictions actually have much more stringent regulations and requirements compared to Canada.

But as I say, even though it is a clear part of our law, I bet I've seen "PRIV" marked on private moorings perhaps a 1/2 dozen times in my two decades of boating. And I can't ever recall seeing a name and contact info.

Almost no one follows the law here.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11   #235
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 856
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm surprised it isn't part of most US State mooring laws. My understanding is that many of your jurisdictions actually have much more stringent regulations and requirements compared to Canada.

But as I say, even though it is a clear part of our law, I bet I've seen "PRIV" marked on private moorings perhaps a 1/2 dozen times in my two decades of boating. And I can't ever recall seeing a name and contact info.

Almost no one follows the law here ON THE EAST COAST.
Actually the Canadian PNW is fair to middlin' on compliance. Personally I attribute that to the rapid increase in buoys in the last little while which means most of them are following the laws. It also means a lot of great anchorage are getting #$%$# full with boats and even worse, empty moorings. It also has to do, I believe with the increased vigilance and powers of harbour patrols.

As for the OP's dilemma, maybe we need to look into some sort of special key or ring. If the mooring ball has nothing to tie to squatters will move on. The owner can then insert a "key" with a ring into the top and voila! There...my million$ idea for the week.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14   #236
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 8,106
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm surprised it isn't part of most US State mooring laws. My understanding is that many of your jurisdictions actually have much more stringent regulations and requirements compared to Canada.

But as I say, even though it is a clear part of our law, I bet I've seen "PRIV" marked on private moorings perhaps a 1/2 dozen times in my two decades of boating. And I can't ever recall seeing a name and contact info.

Almost no one follows the law here.
Mike, it appears many municipalities have limited mooring fields to those operated by marinas. I, in some respects, can understand it since the cost of disposing of derelict boats falls on them.
I grew up with boats on a mooring. Name of boat well displayed on the mooring but, even then, it was a rarity.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 16:42   #237
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 6,879
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Actually the Canadian PNW is fair to middlin' on compliance. Personally I attribute that to the rapid increase in buoys in the last little while which means most of them are following the laws. It also means a lot of great anchorage are getting #$%$# full with boats and even worse, empty moorings. It also has to do, I believe with the increased vigilance and powers of harbour patrols.

As for the OP's dilemma, maybe we need to look into some sort of special key or ring. If the mooring ball has nothing to tie to squatters will move on. The owner can then insert a "key" with a ring into the top and voila! There...my million$ idea for the week.

Add a small lithium battery, solar panel, small two way motor release / retract to pop up an attachment ring, and bluetooth connectivity for ease of attachment on the mooring and you will have a real winner !



senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 18:45   #238
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 7,139
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Actually the Canadian PNW is fair to middlin' on compliance. Personally I attribute that to the rapid increase in buoys in the last little while which means most of them are following the laws. It also means a lot of great anchorage are getting #$%$# full with boats and even worse, empty moorings. It also has to do, I believe with the increased vigilance and powers of harbour patrols.
I stand corrected. I guess it's an eastern problem (or lack of compliance).

And don't get me started about all the g-d damn moorings clogging up anchorages. I understand the desire to drop a private mooring, but to my view it's tantamount to blocking out a private parking space on a public road.

I'm not totally opposed to private moorings, but I just wish people dropping them would place them in areas that are not good for anchoring. Put them on the edge of the anchorage; too close to shore or in water too deep to anchor. Too often you find moorings dropped right in the middle of an anchorage, thereby blocking everyone else from using the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Mike, it appears many municipalities have limited mooring fields to those operated by marinas. I, in some respects, can understand it since the cost of disposing of derelict boats falls on them.
I grew up with boats on a mooring. Name of boat well displayed on the mooring but, even then, it was a rarity.
Yes, I can appreciate this limitation. I've never lived or cruised in an area where derelict boats are a problem. I guess this is one of the benefits of cruising in more northern climes -- winter takes care of any abandoned boats.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:18   #239
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 291
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

I haven't read all of the posts above but in addition to "Private" and the "Rating" there is a lot to be said by putting your own phone number on the mooring.

1. Free loaders will assume there will be a fee for using the mooring. They will have no excuse for being there and not paying when they are discovered.

2. The genuine visitors will call you. Make a new cruising friend and ensure your mooring is free when you return.

3. The emergency tie ups will call with a reason. You may even be able to help them out.

Better to establish a rapport than start an argument.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 14:46   #240
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Whitby, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 3,962
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm surprised it isn't part of most US State mooring laws. My understanding is that many of your jurisdictions actually have much more stringent regulations and requirements compared to Canada.

But as I say, even though it is a clear part of our law, I bet I've seen "PRIV" marked on private moorings perhaps a 1/2 dozen times in my two decades of boating. And I can't ever recall seeing a name and contact info.

Almost no one follows the law here.
It is poorly regulated in many states and/or municipalities. One of my favourite towns is Beaufort NC. The terrific anchorage is flooded with many unregulated private mooring balls. Many locals just throw down an old v-8 and add a chain. Most look like they have not been used for many years. some of these are for profit with no share going to the state .... capitalism at it's finest. They have destroyed a great anchorage. Neither state, USCG nor municipality seems to have any interest. The same can be said of several areas of Florida altho' Matthew cleared some of them out.
__________________

__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mooring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
keeping boat tied up on mooring bouy Bosun Bill Boat Ownership & Making a Living 4 15-07-2013 13:46
Fit to be Tied - Or Know your Knots sea_goin_dude Seamanship & Boat Handling 7 11-06-2011 16:03
Challenge: Has Your To-Do List Got You Tied to the Dock ? daddle Challenges 71 05-06-2011 19:50
YEarning for the Sea - Tied to the land sailinggeorge Meets & Greets 4 25-04-2008 11:46
CUT THE DOCK LINES OR LEAVE IT TIED UP? Green BUT Adventurous Navigation 21 23-09-2006 09:44

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.