Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 18:14   #151

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: What ever happen to the REAL cruisers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You forgot the silly Captains hat. If you want to look truly stupid...always wear a Captains hat.

Truer words were never spoken.
And don't forget to call yourself "Capt ...", especially on internet forums.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 18:42   #152
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
What are the characteristics of a real cruiser anyway.
This is a very Ironic question, because once you become a "real cruiser" you no longer care about being called one because the label itself becomes something you chuckle at, realizing in your status as a real cruiser just how stupid the very title is...

Ponder that over a Teak Deck rip off....it makes much more sense then..
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 18:50   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
This is a very Ironic question, because once you become a "real cruiser" you no longer care about being called one because the label itself becomes something you chuckle at, realizing in your status as a real cruiser just how stupid the very title is...

Ponder that over a Teak Deck rip off....it makes much more sense then..
I do not envy you with your teak deck removal. Least it's somewhat cooler in morro bay.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 21:05   #154
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rich--we gonna do the galley ripout and modify this visit to mazatlan so i can actually keep food cold. glad i put so many miles on this boat before diesel ranaway.
more repairs in pair a dice coming as well... as long as this exchange rate lasts i am on this repair stuff...
also is a good thing cruising is defined as repairing boats in exotic locales or we would forget what it is we are actually doing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:49   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

These ideas of the significance of hats or using the term "captain" have been discussed on previous threads. There was an important outcome of this topic that likely needs repeating and reed1v has already brought this to our attention.

Hats and titles do not mean the same thing in every part of the world. Their use would be best judged by your location. In my present location few people take notice of hats and the term captain is often a casual address to anyone of any skill level operating a boat.

It's wise to be able to adapt to what is expected in your surroundings.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:56   #156

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
These ideas of the significance of hats or using the term "captain" have been discussed on previous threads. There was an important outcome of this topic that likely needs repeating and reed1v has already brought this to our attention.

Hats and titles do not mean the same thing in every part of the world. Their use would be best judged by your location. In my present location few people take notice of hats and the term captain is often a casual address to anyone of any skill level operating a boat.

too true
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:13   #157

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I've met some Mariners and many more Boaters. Many of those boaters have little pieces of paper that they got from some course' some of those papers are USCG licenses that proclaim them " captains". I've only met two or three that openly have these pieces of paper that actually know what they are doing on the water. The majority that proclaim their status as Captains, don't have a clue. And it seems that that piece of paper has closed their minds to actually becoming a competent mariner. Titles are just words, licenses' are just pieces of paper that attest to their ability to own a boat and pass a written test. The knowledge needed to pass that test is good to have, but means nothing if said Captain isn't willing to "learn" how to put that knowledge into action. Ability, expressed, through action and experience is what makes a Captain.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:41   #158

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
I've met some Mariners and many more Boaters. Many of those boaters have little pieces of paper that they got from some course' some of those papers are USCG licenses that proclaim them " captains". I've only met two or three that openly have these pieces of paper that actually know what they are doing on the water. The majority that proclaim their status as Captains, don't have a clue. And it seems that that piece of paper has closed their minds to actually becoming a competent mariner. Titles are just words, licenses' are just pieces of paper that attest to their ability to own a boat and pass a written test. The knowledge needed to pass that test is good to have, but means nothing if said Captain isn't willing to "learn" how to put that knowledge into action. Ability, expressed, through action and experience is what makes a Captain.
You are probably talking about a six pack having Captain on it. The hrs. required are self attested to and I'm not sure the test hasn't become a do it yourself?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07   #159

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Crewed on a delivery ...51ft Formosa...Captain had 100 ton endorsement, ordered abandon ship after the mainsail ripped in the middle. Before we left he declined to take on fuel. we left with ten gallons. the sail ripped in a squal, because he didn't want to reef. I mutinied and sailed back to port on the head sails and was arested at the interance. Long story short I was released and no legal actions were taken, against him or me. I later was hired to deliver the boat from Isla Mujeras to St Augastine. with a new main and topped off fuel tanks of course. I was 23 years old at the time.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:38   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
Crewed on a delivery ...51ft Formosa...Captain had 100 ton endorsement, ordered abandon ship after the mainsail ripped in the middle. Before we left he declined to take on fuel. we left with ten gallons. the sail ripped in a squal, because he didn't want to reef. I mutinied and sailed back to port on the head sails and was arested at the interance. Long story short I was released and no legal actions were taken, against him or me. I later was hired to deliver the boat from Isla Mujeras to St Augastine. with a new main and topped off fuel tanks of course. I was 23 years old at the time.
that must have given you a lot of personal satisfaction when they hired you to deliver the boat well done.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:12   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

A hat is important
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	195
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	125378  
Old 02-06-2016, 11:59   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
A hat is important
Especially if it's made out of cardboard
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:16   #163

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
No, no, no: You change the oil in your GPS. That is why the guy is lost. Low oil.
Right! Right! No wonder my ancient Garmin thinks so slowly...I will give it a good shot of WD40 down that antenea plug thingy.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:21   #164

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rich--we gonna do the galley ripout and modify this visit to mazatlan so i can actually keep food cold. glad i put so many miles on this boat before diesel ranaway.
more repairs in pair a dice coming as well... as long as this exchange rate lasts i am on this repair stuff...
also is a good thing cruising is defined as repairing boats in exotic locales or we would forget what it is we are actually doing.
You go girl, proper home for Boat Kat, more storage for black lace bras.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:25   #165

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
A hat is important
Only if you're a Fat Cat...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser