Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 18:59   #31
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: What ever happen to the REAL cruisers?

I find it interesting that there are hundreds of millions of dollars worth of boats being trusted to guys that made 10 bucks a day assembling the electronics

Just saying..........
Old 30-05-2016, 19:17   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

We absolutely need those rich cruisers to buy the new boats so people like me can buy them used a few years later. I sure as hell am not going to be the one to step up to the counter and write a quarter of a million dollar check for a new boat.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 22:43   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
LOL, another myth. Cheap and stinkers help cheap and stinkers for free. Good mechanics always charge.
Your myth does not gybe with my experience, Tellie. We've given and accepted help in the cruising community for thirty years, have never asked for any payment nor been offered any. This freely given advice and help has ranged from electronic through mechanical and rigging and shipwrighting right up to medical and dental aid.

Perhaps in your view we are all cheap and stinky... lets see, I remember one chap who was an ophthalmologist surgeon who also had a PHD in Physics. He was doing eye surgery in Mexico... for free. There was another boffin who offered help around the cruising fleet... he was awarded the Nobel in Physics a couple of years ago. And on a different scale, there have been a number of folks who did professional quality hair dressing for fellow sailors. And a fellow named Lowell North who would give advice and help relative to sail plans and shapes as he cruised through the South pacific. And a friendly Naval Architect who would advise on all things in his expertise... and so on.

I do remember one pro diesel mechanic who would consult freely with the fleet. He was pretty upfront, though, and said advice was free, but if he had to pick up a wrench, he would expect compensation. Fair enough...

This sharing of skills is one of the reasons that we've continued cruising so long. It is a good way to live in a fluid community!

Jim
Old 30-05-2016, 23:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripps View Post
I'm sitting here in Wendy's Bar in Luperon and a guy here is complaining because he can't find someone to change his engine oil!

Damn. I started cruising, thirty years ago, because I longed to be self-sufficient.

What happened?

I'll tell you: GPS!

Bry
At least he was trying to help the local community by employing someone to do a simple job.

He (if he can find someone) will be helping the locals more than the cruiser who sits in a bar slowly drinking one beer over an hour and then lingering on for another whilst they use the free internet and complain about the cruisers who want to inject money into the community.

Old 30-05-2016, 23:17   #35
Marine Service Provider

Yes, Chichime is packed, mostly because its orientation it makes a good place for coming storms from the E, it can blow very hard, I have seen more thatn 60 knots there and total chaos at the anchorage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Yes, GPS changed a lot about cruising. So did watermakers that are actually reliable, good sailhandling gear, reliable electric windlasses, sailmail, easily accessed weather forecasting, good renewable charging... The list goes on and on.

While I'm not as old as some here (44 actually), I did do my first long distance cruise with my dad in the 80's. Magellan was just about to come out with the 3000, the first GPS on the recreational market. It cost 3 grand in '80's dollars too.

We didn't have one. We had a sat-nav that might produce an unreliable fix once or twice a day. No radar, either. We used a sextant, and a lot of DR. Most of the time, we didn't REALLY know where we were. This was fine most places, around reefs, it was not fun. Remember, even when the numbers of boats crossing the pacific were quite small, there were an awful lot of them going aground in places like the Tuamotus.

Yes, it was cool to be out there when there were far fewer boats. (Maybe these are the 'real cruisers' you speak of. In the San Blas, we saw 3-4 other boats there in a month, and the locals were delighted to see us. The whole village would turn out when we anchored. Last time we were there, we couldn't even find a place to anchor in Chichime, it was so stuffed with boats in there.

For my part, I'm thrilled for the cruising community that all these innovations have made the lifestyle more accessible/enjoyable for more people. Sure, some of them don't know as much as they should about looking after their boats, but they'll either stay close to services, or they'll learn to be more self sufficient. Or they'll realize they're in over their head and stick closer to home and boatyards.

But, are they any more or less 'real' as cruisers than those who are doing it more the old fashioned way? No, not really. Just different. There are still plenty of birds of the other feather out there too. They're just more often found off of the main tradewind cruising routes these days.

Maybe sail down to someplace like Ushuaia. You will find self-sufficiency in spades down there!

TJ
Old 31-05-2016, 07:27   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the real cruisers are still watching the boats of noobs drag, and are reanchoring em without anyone knowing, or so it seems.
funny how that works.
the noobs are in the bars swilling hooch and are oblivious of their predicament, as they have alll the latest fail anchor alarm stuff. funny how that works.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:37   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think "whatever happened to English?" when I read online forum postings.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:43   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

I do my oil changes daily and I always send half the daily batch for lab test. It always comes 'clean' as I do not care to start the donkey. Now this is what we should aim at with maintenance.

I also catch my marlin by hand, skin it and slice it, then throw it overboard (real cruisers are eco-friendly). The last one was some 30ft long and over 2 tonnes displacement. It talked hebrew and sensed the True North by some ancient Maori methods.

I have mylar sails that are resistant to UV as much as dacron sails.

Real cruisers and their half real stories.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:55   #39

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

And you know for certain that there isn't a physical or medical reason he cannot perform an oil change? Some engine and/or boat designers have obviously never actually had to change the oil on their designs.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:00   #40

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

So often I've paid someone to do a job and ended up correcting it. The last marina mechanic, just 6 years ago, wanted to actually pull the plug and drain the oil into my customers bilge, I was the captain of that boat thinking I was going to escape the dirtier tasks. WOW! Just dumb luck I was there when he arrived.

" Old sailors never die, they just get a little dinghy "

I tried posting the picture but don't get how to do it on this forum.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:11   #41

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
I'm sitting here in Wendy's Bar in Luperon and a guy here is complaining because he can't find someone to change his engine oil!

Damn. I started cruising, thirty years ago, because I longed to be self-sufficient.

What happened?

I'll tell you: GPS! Bry
Ah... the well monied. We had a half million dollar sled pull into the fuel dock here yesterday. All aboard had matching polo shirts with the boat name and logo. Looked to be a family. Very spiffy indeed. Twenty something kid hops pff and I hear him tell dad he would top up the "gas". He did. Junior pumped almost 100 gallons of gas into his daddies' high end turbo diesel fuel tank. I just walked away grinning.

I change my own oil. And all else. Why? Not because I can't afford to pay someone, I can, but so I could learn all the boat systems aboard and how they work.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:19   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

What happened?

I'll tell you: GPS!

Bry
Maybe a lot of others in the bar were snickering under their breath at his complaint.

I can't make the connection between motor oil and GPS?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:26   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Ah... the well monied. We had a half million dollar sled pull into the fuel dock here yesterday. All aboard had matching polo shirts with the boat name and logo. Looked to be a family. Very spiffy indeed. Twenty something kid hops pff and I hear him tell dad he would top up the "gas". He did. Junior pumped almost 100 gallons of gas into his daddies' high end turbo diesel fuel tank. I just walked away grinning.

I change my own oil. And all else. Why? Not because I can't afford to pay someone, I can, but so I could learn all the boat systems aboard and how they work.
Did you at least mention this gas-in-the-diesel-tank to someone on the "half million dollar sled"?

I'm serious.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 08:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Did you at least mention this gas-in-the-diesel-tank to someone on the "half million dollar sled"?

I'm serious.
Nothing worse than someones who's jealousy, envy and hatred of people who are doing better than themselves lets it get in the way of doing the right thing
Old 31-05-2016, 08:46   #45

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post

I'm serious.
Yes... I did. I told the fuel dock attendant and also the kid pumping. He just looked at me like I was an idiot and never said a word. So... that's when I just walked away shaking my head.

The boat was an Amel 54.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser