Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 18:39   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
What do you think about Uma's new interior layout?

What do you think about Uma's new interior layout?

Most monohulls have pretty similar layouts, center around a settee and benches.

Sailing Uma reworked their interior in a way I've not seen before.

Seems more open, and more flexible, and provides more storage.

But sitting cross-legged all the time might get old.

What do people think?

https://youtu.be/bbIGfznlUk4
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 19:37   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: What do you think about Uma's new interior layout?

I'm old-ish and sitting crosslegged is just not on as the Brits say.

They're happy with it. Suits them.

I would never give up pilot berths if I was contemplating offshore passages like they indicate they are.

I haven't been able to figure out what make and model boat they have. Anybody know?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 19:57   #3

Boat: Baba 35

They have a Pearson 36. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/pearson-36
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:22   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

The original layout for the Pearson 36 is really nice for long-haul sailing. Lots of headroom even in the v-berth forward, along with lots of storage in drawers, under berths and in cubbies. Pilot berths P&S, along with settee berths and a reasonable galley space and nav station.
Uma's "open" plan is not as well suited for ocean passages. The large open spaces below can be dangerous if one is thrown - a long way - without anything to hold on to or brace ones' self against. The "nook" with the extra storage space and sliding table may be very cozy in a marina, but in a bouncy anchorage, what will happen if you grab hold of the sliding table to steady yourself? You do not want to grab onto something and have it move or detach from it's wall mount. On rainy days the blackboard painted bulkhead could be fun to draw sunny pictures on. It looks like the arrangement suits them, and in a marina, it does. It is not for everyone.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:13   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

1+

Even thru the Caribbean it’s probably fine. Beyond that, well, they’ll learn.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:11   #6

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I would like to see a video when they are beating up in 12´waves and listing 20 degrees to starboard. That would be funny to see.

This is probably the most unfunctional interior I have seen. Will work reasonably good at anchor of course. But that is the modern trend. As people sail less and spend more time at anchor or in marinas, the functionality of the interior in a seaway comes in second place. But kudos to them for trying a new idea.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:01   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter

Looks like a Home Depot interior.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34   #8

Boat: J/42

One reason I’ve resisted moving up to a 35ish boat from my 29 is that designers just seem to use the extra space for a) a useless dinette and b) a larger head. Otherwise the only things you get are tankage and a little speed and more expensive rigging. (What I want would with extra space would be a workshop area.) In the alternative pilot berth arrangement, the settees can become very wide and hard to sit on - small people like those two might end up sitting cross-legged on the front of the settee anyway. (Speculation and some experience.)
Did they actually remove a pilot berth? I suspect that, like on my smaller boat, the horizontal planes of those settees are structural stringers that you can’t really mess with. Sometimes I wonder if they are destroying that boat with a thousand little cuts. But I haven’t seen it in person and I agonize over every little cut I make on mine. As far as removing the table, I did too - it wastes a lot of space if you’re not feeding a crowd every day. I use a Lagun mount that parks over the settee, where it is quite handy. Hand-holds are on the overhead.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have never figured out what a pilot berth is good for except to stow things in/on, They are so difficult to get into in the harbor and can't imagine how much fun access would be at sea. Of course have never had to sleep more than my wife and I or just me. Current boat, pilot berth is permanently given over to storage in covered containers. Tremendous amount of stowage and it's easy to get at. We still have one sea berth on each tack and if both of us rack out at the same time, I use a camping pad and sleep on the sole. The forward area is our cabin at anchor.

The no footwell area table area on the port side is a non starter for me. Even when I was younger could not sit cross legged and would be an impossibility now despite all my boat Yoga. Putting in a footwell would decrease storage but it would have to happen. The sliding, storable and removable is a neat idea that I'm not sure will work in the long run. At sea looks like it would be easy to move/slide/disconnect when you need a place to brace yourself and move about. Hope they've included overhead hand holds.

I'm not fond of catamaran all white interiors but am also not a fan of the dark caves of the traditional sailboat. Have gone with Herreshoff style of painted flat surfaces and varnished wood trim on our boats. Makes a nice contrast and brightens up the place.

They are a very creative couple and have put way more time and effort into their boat than any sane person would. It's been almost all their labor and minimal cost and they have to live with it, however. Interesting to see what they'll do after living with the new design.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00   #10

Don’t follow Uma ever since they dumped their poop in the harbor and then laughed about it. Not my kind of sailors
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:57   #11

Boat: Union cutter 33

No interior hand holds I’ve just purchased a 32ft union cutter and below it has hand holds ever 2ft even my catalina34 has hand holds in ceiling their boat is void of them
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 14:11   #12

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsoff View Post
Don’t follow Uma ever since they dumped their poop in the harbor and then laughed about it. Not my kind of sailors
Get over it. They dumped some organic matter in the water. Im sure you dump every day WAY more harmful stuff than that in your garbage (including the recylcables) and feel "good about yourself" because you put the plastic in the blue bin. Guess where most of that **** ends up? Whitewashing ... jeez.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 00:24   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsoff View Post
They gave a carefully reasoned explanation of why this was the least bad option. Apart from that, they laugh all the time, which is part of their attraction.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 00:33   #14

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by beirutsailor View Post
They gave a carefully reasoned explanation of why this was the least bad option. Apart from that, they laugh all the time, which is part of their attraction.
Reason would say that they should get rid of all of their unnecessary stuff, then they might have a boat that would work. There is plenty of well planned storage in the stock boat. If you have more stuff than fits there, dump it in the nearest container.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 00:44   #15

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
I would like to see a video when they are beating up in 12´waves and listing 20 degrees to starboard. That would be funny to see.

This is probably the most unfunctional interior I have seen. Will work reasonably good at anchor of course. But that is the modern trend. As people sail less and spend more time at anchor or in marinas, the functionality of the interior in a seaway comes in second place. But kudos to them for trying a new idea.
Pretty much every modern Oceanis and Sense is more open plan. Yet plenty take them around the World.

Their boat is quite small, with a narrow beam. Looks to be like there is something to hold within an arms length most places on the boat.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior