Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 06:38   #16

Re: What Do You Think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
However, it seems to me that the rub is that we were too successful which allowed for "what has changed is the sheer amount doing this sea gypsy thing" This may be just a function of population increase coupled with western affluence but it is the large numbers of yacht owners that has put pressure on for more facilities and much more regulation.
I would say that the increase in boats/boaters isn't only due to western affluence and pop increase, but, importantly, due to cheaper manufacturing technologies that allowed production boat companies to flourish. And also to the fact that fiberglass hulls don't detoriate easily, so now we have on the market fiberglass boats all the way from the start of fb...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 07:01   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

I think adding to your comment regarding fibreglass hulls is the point that they allowed mass production, it is impossible to build timber, metal or ferro-cement as quick so there was a huge and sudden acessability for the masses.

With this came pressure on the resource of quiet previously inaccessable anchorages, no different to GPS's effect on fish stocks.
Old 30-08-2012, 07:23   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
I would say that the increase in boats/boaters isn't only due to western affluence and pop increase, but, importantly, due to cheaper manufacturing technologies that allowed production boat companies to flourish. And also to the fact that fiberglass hulls don't detoriate easily, so now we have on the market fiberglass boats all the way from the start of fb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I think adding to your comment regarding fibreglass hulls is the point that they allowed mass production, it is impossible to build timber, metal or ferro-cement as quick so there was a huge and sudden acessability for the masses.

With this came pressure on the resource of quiet previously inaccessable anchorages, no different to GPS's effect on fish stocks.
Both very relevant points and both allows for cruising to become "mainstream" rather than the preserve of the "Sea Gypsy"

As a side point, being that I have only had steel and wooden boats, can I claim to still be a "Sea Gypsy" like I once may have been - not that I feel like one anymore - somehow I ended up middle class(ish)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 07:34   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

not being one to conform into non conformist groups, i enjoyed and was drawn to the ocean from babyhood. learning to sail when young helped also--i never thought to do this because it was n0n conformist, but because i wanted to be at sea.
the advent of mass produced fg hulled boats was a turn for many--butt he mass produced fg boats didnt turn me on--i liked the style of these formosa clipper bow traditional classics. i prefer gaff rigging, but this marconi set will do fine. ketch is better than sloop, i found personally--others may feel otherwise--is their business and preference.
there are many folks in many places who sail there and then do not sail again... sell boats and become landlubbers yet again.... fg doesnt sit well--it grows ugly without care--wood sinks, so does steel, but fg keeps on going until thru hulls give out then sink...
is a sea gypsy still a sea gypsy-- there are such---do we name ourselves or keep on keeping on--i prefer to not be classified into any group.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:05   #20

I just had a beach party last night with two other families, one of which is also from our hometown and happens to have three kids (we have one daughter). The other family met us here and is camping nearby.

Had our music on, had a bonfire on the beach, and a beautiful moonlit night. Talked to one of the dads about his dream to open a brewery in Costa Rica. I've had a lot of great nights, but that one was pretty epic. The dinghies beached on the sand, everyone happy, the arsonist dads cooking over three logs someone left nearby.

It's a little played out to think that the best days are behind us and we'll never get back to some golden era. Don't look for the 70's in 2012, anymore than people should have been trying to pretend like it was the 40's in the 70's. Different times, and not to knock the generally older cruising crowd, but the whole "oh man it's not what it used to be!" is really lame.

I'm glad it isn't what it used to be. I have a job that lets me sail around and still work, thanks to cellular and satellite coverage. 2012 is working just fine for me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:13   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It's a little played out to think that the best days are behind us and we'll never get back to some golden era. Don't look for the 70's in 2012, anymore than people should have been trying to pretend like it was the 40's in the 70's. Different times, and not to knock the generally older cruising crowd, but the whole "oh man it's not what it used to be!" is really lame.
Happiness is where you find it we believe, in Australia all liveaboards WERE called 'Grotty yachty's' then it became popular
Old 30-08-2012, 08:14   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

I'm glad it isn't what it used to be. I have a job that lets me sail around and still work, thanks to cellular and satellite coverage. 2012 is working just fine for me.
Let's never forget that one day in the future, what is happening to us today (good or bad) will be part of the "good old days".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:21   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Nostalgia - it ain't what it used to be

Ok, am not "out there" on a boat - and indeed been a few years now since I was out anywhere .....but one of the things I found on dryland was that folks do tend to like to follow a beaten - including when getting away from it all . Tough luck if you were one of those doing the initial beating and haven't moved on. My advice is to pick up a guide book or several (or internet version) - see where is popular (it's the stuff they write about the most)........and then go somewhere else In practice likely find you don't have to go that far. On land it can be a few streets.

One thing that won't ever change is that most people like conveniance (it is addictive!), it just a question of degrees. "What the best Marina to get away from it all?" .......but most places have some degree of modern life that were unheard of 20, let alone 30 years ago. Plusses and Minuses to that of course, how much of each and whether worth the aggro depends on what "you" want.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:22   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We live in the golden age of cruising IMHO.

There are still plenty of deserted beautiful places where you won't see a soul.
Life is much easier on the water than it ever has been with items like GPS,watermakers and solar panels.
We can stay in touch like never before with Internet and Skype.
Our boats are much safer than ever before with liferafts and EPIRBS

Many fortunate people have the income to retire early, those that cannot, sometimes can work fom the boat in far away places.

Enjoy it before someone in government learns what a great life it is and puts a great tax on it.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:28   #25

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Our boats are much safer than ever before with liferafts and EPIRBS
Erm.....I think there's an incongruity here somewhere......
Old 02-09-2012, 21:10   #26

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro

I love the mountains and the sea. The only difference is the elevation and solidness under your feet. Its all wild, vast and deadly to the untrained. Mountaineering has taken a deadly turn as novice climbers are able to access great and cheap technology and willing guides and then ascend with absolute confidence until an orange helicopter comes to the rescue. Your mega stores such as REI have significantly boosted this over-confidence of the average camper.

Same with cruising. However, there is a strong fear factor that rolls in from the sea that still holds alot of sailors back and there are many still who embrace their fears and venture off only to face the storms and never go out again. Human nature will win over technology every time. Personally, I like the advent of technology for boats but I choose to sail simply, using only what I need. Freedom comes from your ability to do what you want and when you want, my simple sailing methods give me great freedom but at the same time my underpowered engine holds me back when i am faced with strong current areas. If I didn't have radar I wouldnt sail the NW at night or move in the fog. I feel as free as I have allowed myself...now laws and regulations are a different story.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote