Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 17:26   #91

Re: What can I do with 40K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Just got off the phone from Brian Caldwell in Hawaii ( or nearby). It was a short conversation as he was driving (car).
I only had one question viz: the condition of the sails?
"Oh, it's got plenty of sails, two mains both in good servicable condition.
Q. Would you sail the boat to Sydney Australia with the sails on board?
A. I'd sail the boat around the world tomorrow........the suggestion being when he got back he wouln't have had to spent a penny.
At 70 years of age I like to that I can tell ******** when I hear it. If it were me, ET, I'd get on the phone, send a small holding deposit & and get myself over there pronto.
You asked questions, plenty of good answers. An S&S 34 out of the same moulds as Ted Heaths boat. Jon Sanders sailed an ss34 around the world twice NON STOP.
Hope your enquiry was genuine.
Good luck and some follow-up would be good
As I mentioned we know Brian personally and were boat neighbors too. I can validate his boat ia in very good condition.
Everything you quoted is accurate.
This is a rare find, particularly at this price. I'm shocked she hasn't sold yet. Someone here needs to buy Gitano!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 17:49   #92

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLegged View Post
You can buy and refit a boat for $40,000 For that money, it won't have to be a tiny boat.

But once you start using it, stuff will break. Some of it will be big stuff.

The more you use it, the more stuff will break.

I would suggest that if you do, this, then spend no more than $20,000 on buying and refitting the boat, and keep the rest for ongoing maintenance and repairs.

And above all, keep the boat small. Costs spiral as boats get bigger, and the smaller your boat the better the chances that you can afford the upkeep.

Most cruisers these days want a boat 35 feet long, or more. But the bills on such a boat are big, and if you have a boat under 30 feet, you'll slash the costs.

So consider something like an Albin Vega. 27ft long, but plenty of them have done huge journeys.
ET12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:12   #93

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Seriously, right?! $29k (firm). He may even throw in some free lessons!
Brian also does deliveries with his awesome partner, who also has an S&S 34. Below is his for sale link. I can get you guys in contact pretty quickly, just let me know.

Used Sparkman & Stephens 34 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Ad says $25K firm. Did he come down? Damn... it is actually physically painful to see great boats offered at great prices! Good thing I'm not rich. I'd have a whole marina full! I'm going to Hawaii in 2 weeks. Good thing I'm not going to Oahu!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:21   #94

Boat: Scout 30

The S & S 34 maybe in good condition but that is a pretty old Volvo diesel. I see a repower in it's future & that alone will run $10,000 +/-. For someone on a limited budget I'd be looking for a boat that's already been repowered.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:22   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ad says $25K firm. Did he come down? Damn... it is actually physically painful to see great boats offered at great prices! Good thing I'm not rich. I'd have a whole marina full! I'm going to Hawaii in 2 weeks. Good thing I'm not going to Oahu!
Yes, he did!
In the same boat, slashed price by 30%!
43' Peterson bluewater performance cruiser
https://youtu.be/P7-NJ5KeMn4
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:38   #96

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The S & S 34 maybe in good condition but that is a pretty old Volvo diesel. I see a repower in it's future & that alone will run $10,000 +/-. For someone on a limited budget I'd be looking for a boat that's already been repowered.
As MARK, you know, the Aussie "living on board in US" would say. ******** !!!
Fella, I'm an old old mechanic. I looked at that Volvo picture too. How do you know that only 500 hrs ago that motor wasn't totally overhauled, new crank, new pistons & liners, new t/chain and valves, all done properly...by an expert who for whatever reason didn't paint it ?? Could be like new inside.
By your reckoning if the rocker covers were Volvo Green and gleaming you say..."gee, the motor looks new" ....
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 19:20   #97

Thanks!
👍🏻 🙏🏻
Thank you for taking the time to write!
Old 03-12-2016, 19:22   #98

Boat: a sailing boat

I think a basic but reasonable man&board (OK, make it two boards) boat can be had at less than 5k (an IF, an Albin, etc.). Another 5k may see you to make this boat ready to sail to all good surfing spots in micro comfort and relative safety.

This leaves 40k (plus whatever you make along the road) to your sailing and surfing budget.

I cannot tell you how much surfing costs, but I can tell you one can have a decent (and very basic) lifestyle in a small boat with 500 USD a month. Give and take, as some destinations are cheaper but others are more expensive.

When you have 40k and you are humble and willing to work where there is work, one could sail and surf for like 10 years. You will get bored well before that. Believe me. You will either long for a bigger life or for a bigger lifestyle.

Deduct 400 USD for a decent short board (new) where we are, 800 for a long one. Waves are free.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 19:32   #99

If I was single and had 40K I would buy an alban vega and sail around south America.
Not many boats make that trip, and even if you mess up and lose the boat, you would have $33,000 left to do another one. Seriously, I have always want to go up the paraguay river.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 19:34   #100

My plan is to buy a boat under 30ft.

Are old boats of proven models better then buying a much newer boat such as the Mac Gregor, or Catalina?

Enough to allow me to cruise, live aboard, and not break my budget.

As a Surfer I have ambitions to cruise to exotic destinations at least 2,500 miles away.

What's the longest distance I can cruise at a time?

What's the shortest size under 30ft for cruising the Pacific Ocean?

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2016, 19:35   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET12 View Post
My plan is to buy a boat under 30ft.

Are old boats of proven models better then buying a much newer boat such as the Mac Gregor, or Catalina?

Enough to allow me to cruise, live aboard, and not break my budget.

As a Surfer I have ambitions to cruise to exotic destinations at least 2,500 miles away.

What's the longest distance I can cruise at a time?

What's the shortest size under 30ft for cruising the Pacific Ocean?

Thank you!
Dana 24, buts it over your budget.
Stick with the albin vega, the smallest you can have in your budget that is sea worthy in most conditions.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 20:28   #102

Wow, all this talk of Albin Vega, you'd think it was the ultimate little cruiser! Here is another very good choice that seems to be in good condition, a solid and proven little boat, at a very good price, if you are in Southern Cal.
Yes, you can get more for your money if you get a well refit and maintained older boat IMO. I own one!
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/5864779681.html
The Columbia 29 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
COLUMBIA 29 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...9-a-75004.html
If you want more info on these boats, PM me. I'd buy this one if I didn't already have one!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-12-2016, 23:20   #103

Boat: PDQ 36

You can probably buy it for quite a bit less than asking...I'd start with an offer at half that.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 23:30   #104

Boat: PDQ 36

I have to agree with TrentePieds. I got my information sitting in the broker's office and seeing the listing price and then the actual selling price of the recently sold boats. The monohulls went for about 50% of asking price.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 23:36   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
You can probably buy it for quite a bit less than asking...I'd start with an offer at half that.
Possibly, and a Columbia 29 in that condition at $4K or 5K would be a great bargain IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37