Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 11:46   #76

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: What can I do with 40K?

Buy this Ranger 33 in La Paz, Mexico (not affiliated) for $15,000
Sailboat Listings | La Paz Yachts

Spend $5k fixing the boat up and provisioning
$650/mo + $30k in the bank you'd be good for 3 years at least

any other location you listed you will burn up your cash a lot faster
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:05   #77

might help you to know that in this neckathewoods boats tend to sell for 50 to 60 percent of listing price.
TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 15:52   #78

Go basic, and go now.
Solid and simple.
Gdog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 06:33   #79

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
might help you to know that in this neckathewoods boats tend to sell for 50 to 60 percent of listing price.
TrentePieds
I'd love to know what database you're getting this statistic from because I don't believe it. A list price/sale price ratio of 50% indicates a completely dysfunctional market where sellers & brokers have literally no knowledge of what their boats are worth. Passing false statistics as truth not only harms sellers but also buyers who do not know enough to make a realistic offer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:07   #80

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'd love to know what database you're getting this statistic from because I don't believe it. A list price/sale price ratio of 50% indicates a completely dysfunctional market where sellers & brokers have literally no knowledge of what their boats are worth. Passing false statistics as truth not only harms sellers but also buyers who do not know enough to make a realistic offer.
I had problems swallowing that one also. Even in Mx. where the buyer base is much smaller than the US, boats might sell for up to 20% less. A Endurance 35 next to me was asking $44K and sold for $38K, so around 15%. The boats here that are borderline derelict and have exorbitant asking prices don't sell. They just sit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:13   #81

@ #79

Quote: "A list price/sale price ratio of 50% indicates a completely dysfunctional market where sellers & brokers have literally no knowledge of what their boats are worth."

Absolutely true! I think it is a great delusion to think that there is anything rational about the market for used boats around here. I don't know about any other place.

To ascribe "worth" to a yacht, whose "income stream" must necessarily always be negative, is therefore, IMO, a notion that might have come from Lewis Caroll. Commercial vessels are, I'm sure, a kettle of fish of a different colour.

I, being a cynic, find it difficult to believe that "making a market" for toys does not require playing the ends against the middle. That would seem to be the sine qua non for profit maximization in that “profession” :-)

As has so often been said forthrightly, or alluded to circuitously, in this forum: There is no need to buy through a broker in a market motivated by the dreams of buyers of toys, and the often tardily comprehended financial pressures the possession of such toys impose on sellers. E-bay, Kijiji, and frequent walks on the docks is sure to turn up a "motivated" seller.

Your #43 pointed to SteadyHand's invaluable work, and many other members have given ET12 sound advice and pointers. My #31 recognized 2 things that may be reasonably deduced from ET12's original posting: a) he must be assumed at this time to be in "dreaming" mode, and b) he has not yet come to understand that "horses for courses" applies to cruising boats as well as beasts. In consequence I, being a cynic but nevertheless wishing all the best for ET12, concluded that ET12 with an admittedly very, very restricted budget, is "low-hanging fruit" ripe for a broker to pick. Thus my warning to him expressed in my #31.

My #77 that amounts to two things: a) personal observation of a very limited number of transactions in this location with which I'm familiar and b) a suggestion to ET12 that if he bids on a boat listed by a broker, for heaven's sake – bid low!

TrentePieds
Old 30-11-2016, 09:09   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Then I guess I would have to tell ET12 that if he wants "expertise" on what to do with $50K, he should do so from people on CF that actually have a boat and have bought and sold in the market over the years.
There are far too many dock walking speculator on this forum for what ever reason feel they have to direct people in one way or another.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:27   #83

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Moisture Meters on Boat Hulls - Do They Produce Reliable Results?
This is a very interesting site if you are going to look for a sailboat.

Says some of the same things as above, as a video

Electrophysics Moisture Meters
I have the CT33 Moisture Meter. I have rejected a few really nice looking sailboats because of this meter. It is much quicker than tapping every few inches on the hull and top sides. Use tapping to determine extend of delaimination.

Buy a moisture meter and sell it later when done with it.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:24   #84

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@ #79

Quote: "A list price/sale price ratio of 50% indicates a completely dysfunctional market where sellers & brokers have literally no knowledge of what their boats are worth."

Absolutely true! I think it is a great delusion to think that there is anything rational about the market for used boats around here. I don't know about any other place.

To ascribe "worth" to a yacht, whose "income stream" must necessarily always be negative, is therefore, IMO, a notion that might have come from Lewis Caroll. Commercial vessels are, I'm sure, a kettle of fish of a different colour.

I, being a cynic, find it difficult to believe that "making a market" for toys does not require playing the ends against the middle. That would seem to be the sine qua non for profit maximization in that “profession” :-)

As has so often been said forthrightly, or alluded to circuitously, in this forum: There is no need to buy through a broker in a market motivated by the dreams of buyers of toys, and the often tardily comprehended financial pressures the possession of such toys impose on sellers. E-bay, Kijiji, and frequent walks on the docks is sure to turn up a "motivated" seller.

Your #43 pointed to SteadyHand's invaluable work, and many other members have given ET12 sound advice and pointers. My #31 recognized 2 things that may be reasonably deduced from ET12's original posting: a) he must be assumed at this time to be in "dreaming" mode, and b) he has not yet come to understand that "horses for courses" applies to cruising boats as well as beasts. In consequence I, being a cynic but nevertheless wishing all the best for ET12, concluded that ET12 with an admittedly very, very restricted budget, is "low-hanging fruit" ripe for a broker to pick. Thus my warning to him expressed in my #31.

My #77 that amounts to two things: a) personal observation of a very limited number of transactions in this location with which I'm familiar and b) a suggestion to ET12 that if he bids on a boat listed by a broker, for heaven's sake – bid low!

TrentePieds
So basically you're just grabbing that 50-60% list price/sale price ratio out of your ass & it has no basis in truth. Opinions are not a basis for statistics.

One thing to remember when people throw around bogus statistics is that statistics are irrelevant when it comes to an individual purchase. A list price/sale price ratio is based on a median number meaning half of the buyers paid more than 50% & half paid less. This statistic is valuable in determining a market trend &, when taken with other statistics, the overall health of a market. It does not tell you what to offer or pay for an individual boat. That depends on a whole bunch of factors including how realistic the seller is & what condition the boat is in. Buyers & sellers need to be knowledgeable, or hire someone who is, in order for a fair & equitable meeting of the minds to take place.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 13:23   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET12 View Post
Hi, I need expertise please.

I am person who once lived on a boat for a year in a Hawaii harbor, also a surfer who has traveled the world to surf.

I just inherited money, about $50,000.

I figured instead of buying property (with a location I don't want), why not just sail and surf anywhere in the world.

My destinations in mind are: California, Tahiti, Indonesia, Hawaii, Ireland, Norway, Alaska and more.

What would you recommend I buy, and is it possible to live on a boat work-free with an income of $650 a month?
My friend has a ready to go, perfect for single-handing, located in Hawaii in your budget (he is an ex circumnavigating record holder so the boat has been refitted by the best!). Pm me if you want details.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 14:10   #86

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
My friend has a ready to go, perfect for single-handing, located in Hawaii in your budget (he is an ex circumnavigating record holder so the boat has been refitted by the best!). Pm me if you want details.
Hope you followed THAT one up ET !!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:53   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Hope you followed THAT one up ET !!
Seriously, right?! $29k (firm). He may even throw in some free lessons!
Brian also does deliveries with his awesome partner, who also has an S&S 34. Below is his for sale link. I can get you guys in contact pretty quickly, just let me know.

http://m.yachthub.com/list/yachts-fo...hens-34/190721
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 16:32   #88

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

You lucky dog...agree with getting a boat that is ready to go...spend time looking for the diamond in the rough. 31' to 35' I think would be a good size.

Enjoy the $$$ to it's max.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 16:54   #89

This one seems exceptional. Go get 'er :-0)!

TrentePieds
Old 03-12-2016, 17:21   #90

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Seriously, right?! $29k (firm). He may even throw in some free lessons!
Brian also does deliveries with his awesome partner, who also has an S&S 34. Below is his for sale link. I can get you guys in contact pretty quickly, just let me know.

Used Sparkman & Stephens 34 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Just got off the phone from Brian Caldwell in Hawaii ( or nearby). It was a short conversation as he was driving (car).
I only had one question viz: the condition of the sails?
"Oh, it's got plenty of sails, two mains both in good servicable condition.
Q. Would you sail the boat to Sydney Australia with the sails on board?
A. I'd sail the boat around the world tomorrow........the suggestion being when he got back he wouln't have had to spent a penny.
At 70 years of age I like to that I can tell ******** when I hear it. If it were me, ET, I'd get on the phone, send a small holding deposit & and get myself over there pronto.
You asked questions, plenty of good answers. An S&S 34 out of the same moulds as Ted Heaths boat. Jon Sanders sailed an ss34 around the world twice NON STOP.
Hope your enquiry was genuine.
Good luck and some follow-up would be good
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote