Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 01:12   #61

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: What can I do with 40K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
That piece was from Sterling Hayden...not me
I know that Brother, but it was you who chose to share it.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:15   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Boating is as expensive as you want it to be when starting out.

Its not about the brand, its about the quality. Its not about the price its about the individual boat. Its not about the looks unless you want to pay for it. ITs not about the newness, its about the reliability.

Now I know you are not in the UK but I want to show you a sample of what is available for little money. EVERYTHING IS OPEN TO OFFER!

All on EBAY!

USA should have a lot more choice...

$15K

Beneteau Evasion $30K or offer.

Moody 33 $24K

Prout 26 Catamaran $26K

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:22   #63

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

There's a saying Husky, maybe it's never too late to learn from it.
"Get you love and you'll never ever have to go to work again.
Can you not see the forrest Husky??
But I thank you for making me feel good about myself and with all my heart I hope that life gets a bit brighter Matey and that you find the meaning of life.
Just thought about something. Want to feel good? Come spend a year or two with me in India.
Over to you Bro.
Old 29-11-2016, 01:23   #64

Errata: get a job you love. (Was always a crappy editor.)
Old 29-11-2016, 02:25   #65

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Can you buy a $30,000 for $25,000? or even offer $20,000.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 02:27   #66

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Errata: get a job you love. (Was always a crappy editor.)
Where do I send in the application for professional beer and pizza consumer? [emoji3]

It doesn't have to be 100% either way. You could choose a lifestyle of working part time and cruising part time. It is more difficult to work overseas but there are locations close to the US where you could go surf for 6 months and then come back to work 6 months and reload the bank account.
Old 29-11-2016, 02:47   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Boating is as expensive as you want it to be when starting out.

Its not about the brand, its about the quality. Its not about the price its about the individual boat. Its not about the looks unless you want to pay for it. ITs not about the newness, its about the reliability.

Now I know you are not in the UK but I want to show you a sample of what is available for little money. EVERYTHING IS OPEN TO OFFER!

All on EBAY!

USA should have a lot more choice...

Beneteau Evasion $30K or offer.

This is a lot of boat for the money....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 03:10   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
There's a saying Husky, maybe it's never too late to learn from it.
"Get you love and you'll never ever have to go to work again.
Can you not see the forrest Husky??
But I thank you for making me feel good about myself and with all my heart I hope that life gets a bit brighter Matey and that you find the meaning of life.
Just thought about something. Want to feel good? Come spend a year or two with me in India.
Over to you Bro.
I've spent a month in India already, never again. Trying to find the CD with the India pics, I have some good shots of that crazy monkey temple with all the sexual engravings. You'll probably want proof. No problem I have it just got to find it!
No meaning of life in India, just poverty and disease, seen it first hand. Some of the beggars are horrifying compared to what we expect from the homeless in North America. Nothing like trying to turn down a horribly misfigured child who wants a few cents.
I did actually feel guilty there, felt like I was using my good fortune to exploit the people of India as if they were zoo animals on display for my pleasure. Glad you feel good about youself there, I certainly didn't.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 04:46   #69

Boat: Morgan OI 37

There is a Niagara 35 at Snead Island in that price range.reat Lakes
Fully loaded, new main and lovingly maintained.
I know, I have sailed this vessel from the Great Lakes down the outside and around Florida. Very seaworthy and comfortable to sail. Here is the YW listing
1979 Hinterhoeller Niagara classic Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 05:49   #70

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
First a partner who tells you,"it's me and you until the wheels fall off"...then the wheels fall off and you loose 1/2 or all the house with a hefty child support payment for 18 years. Then you marry the sequel (#2) and loose everything again. Now you're 50, balding and the closest you have ever come to a boat is a sailing magazine while sitting on the bathroom throne.
I am NOT balding! And some other details are not accurate. But largely...

It never occurred to me in my youth to up and travel the world with five bucks in my pocket. Instead, I got a job and did it on somebody else's dollar.

There is no right or wrong answer. Travel while young, travel after retirement. Neither promises anything. Some of the young vagabonds end up on the derelict boats in Tampa, others running companies in the South Pacific. I know both types. And of course I've lost friends who didn't make it to retirement.

For the youthful original poster: you have great dreams. It will be hard work, believe me. Find the strongest boat you can. As others said, know what you're looking at. There are "dating" boats and "marrying" boats, you will definitely need a marrying boat.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:13   #71

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
Yes I own a boat.
This perfectly describes what I'm most terrified of! No savings and a fixed income that forces you back into work after retirement, or even worse not being able to quite the rat race.
I have some savings but as you described in an earlier post, it's nothing compared to today's money. I own my home in Ca. clear and free, so to me, that's better than $$$ in the bank. I had triple digits in stocks and saw that disappear. I realized it was behind fear that got sucked into that investment.
So yes, I look at what I have and I am grateful for it. Being retired, my health Insurance premiums are very low. That may change one way or another depending on any particular regime we get every 4 years. So yes, I think we all have a fear factor of some sort. There are too many variables in life to know what will happen as we go through the gantlet called life.
I have had friends work their arses off for 40 years only to be dealt a terminal health card. Mt mother and my wife's patents are in extended care homes (God's waiting room). They're not happy or free to do as they wish. I'm fully aware this is the last card to be dealt to all of us. Chose your fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I am NOT balding! And some other details are not accurate. But largely...

It never occurred to me in my youth to up and travel the world with five bucks in my pocket. Instead, I got a job and did it on somebody else's dollar.

There is no right or wrong answer. Travel while young, travel after retirement. Neither promises anything. Some of the young vagabonds end up on the derelict boats in Tampa, others running companies in the South Pacific. I know both types. And of course I've lost friends who didn't make it to retirement.

For the youthful original poster: you have great dreams. It will be hard work, believe me. Find the strongest boat you can. As others said, know what you're looking at. There are "dating" boats and "marrying" boats, you will definitely need a marrying boat.
I was a youth that traveled with $5 in my pocket whistle "In the early morning rain" by Gordon Lightfoot. But unlike the deadbeats(not vagabonds) living on derelicts, I wanted better for myself. I chose a career as mostly a blue collar guy and set my priority at being a human being, rather than a human doing.
I have great respect for someone who has started with nothing and made his fortune in life. I have a couple of friends who have done this. I think it's important that no matter what, we find joy in our life. That might be cruising a 32ft. boat on $600@month or having a string of rentals and never having a care where the next meal is coming from. But there is a lot of space between. So let me add to this, I have a full on Machine shop at my home. When I'm home and not onboard, it gives me the opportunity to make a little extra coin. It's something I enjoy doing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:49   #72

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, I may have missed it, but since the mast base takes a great deal of stress and many are prone to water intrusion, rot and/or corrosion, whether deck-stepped or keel stepped, that is one thing I scrutinize. But it is probably in there somewhere, I just haven't seen it yet!
I guess 80 and 81 touch on it. Aluminum masts on old shoes may be corroded internally and "mushroom" at the bottom. Deck stepped masts with compression arches or support beams typically will need them rebuilt on older boats.
Were chainplates in there?
Thanks, I added your comments to my check list.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 10:32   #73

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

This has been a good, interesting thread. There are things in it that I would like to refer back to once I get to the point of buying the boat I will eventually cruise.

Is there a way to "bookmark" the thread so that I can come back to it at some later date? I can probably find it, but this old brain is getting a little softer each year.... =(
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 11:10   #74

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclancy View Post
This has been a good, interesting thread. There are things in it that I would like to refer back to once I get to the point of buying the boat I will eventually cruise.

Is there a way to "bookmark" the thread so that I can come back to it at some later date? I can probably find it, but this old brain is getting a little softer each year.... =(
Look under your "user cp" on the menu bar, under this is a list of all the threads you have responded to. If you post a lot just scroll untill you find the thread you are looking for.
Old 29-11-2016, 11:27   #75

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Can you buy a $30,000 for $25,000? or even offer $20,000.
Sure, you are always free to make whatever offer you figure you can afford, taking into account whatever work the boat may need. But if a boat has been totally refitted I wouldn't blame the owner who says no, but you never know!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote