Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 02:02   #361
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: What can happen when you cut off a ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Cite, please.

We just heard from an employee who said the Captain ran the eastbound legs and the mate ran the westbound legs.

So if they were doing something illegal, I'd like to read the law. (Don't worry, I've been trained to do just that.)

I think you missed this part: "Owwww it REALLY hurt to pull my tongue out of my cheek!"
Old 22-09-2013, 02:39   #362

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Maybe a small shot of reality here,
I've tried to attach a photo of the MV Hyak which may or may not load, allegedly Hyak is the ferry allegedly involved in what may or may not have been a maritime incident, that may or may not have involved a small vessel of some kind sinking, this alleged incident may or may not have been witnessed and if it was the witnesses credibility may or may not be zero.
It is admitted by the authorities involved that the MV Hyak was indeed there but as this may or may not be a cross jurisdictional matter, they're saying nothing further.
Further details of this rather large, therefore easily avoidable vessel, can be found here:-
MV Hyak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rumours have started on the internet that the captain may or may not have been picking the locks of ankle chains and was distracted from the captains lawfully bound responsibility to always face forward and see what they may or may not be on a collision course with.
These rumours are to be vigorously denied by whatever authority is chosen to deny them at the appropriate time, whenever that may or may not be.
Bondage of any kind has not been permitted on these vessels for some months now, the work itself should provide enough pleasure and satisfaction, or maybe not.
It is also to be vigorously denied that any members of any witness program were involved at all, maybe.
Details of the missing yacht are hard to come by as no-one wants to dive that deep, to confirm anything.
Confirmation isn't everything and who would believe the diver anyway as it would be an eyewitness report?

Hope this clears a few things up.
Cheers,
Mac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyak_passing_Flat_Point_04a.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	67659  
Old 22-09-2013, 03:01   #363
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Bloody fantastic.

Coops.
Old 22-09-2013, 03:02   #364
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
He or she is required by law to be facing the bow at all times. The boat itself must have images of two feet painted on the floor at the captain's station. Further, the first mate is required to shackle the captain's feet together while a piece of chain must (must) attach to the housing for the steering mechanism such that the captain cannot wander away either by accident or with intent to leave those two feet painted on the deck.

This captain securement system in addition must be hooked up to siren and flashing lights, so everyone on the boat and everyone within two nautical miles of the boat will be aware that the captain has moved.

The captain is allowed one 15 minute break every four hours as well as 30 minutes for meals. So the sirens and lights won't go off, the first mate pushes the "P-button." Before leaving his or her station the captain shackles in the first mate so that he or she cannot wander away. I'm amazed that you didn't know all this!

Owwww it REALLY hurt to pull my tongue out of my cheek!
Raku, that was fantastic too, loved it.

Coops.
Old 22-09-2013, 03:39   #365

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
"Turn and run?" Who advocated that?

Is it true that these ferries only travel at about 15 knots? I can only speak for myself, but I would have no trouble determining whether or not I was on a collision course with a boat traveling that speed. It would be easy to stay out of its way, which is what I advocated -- not "turn and run." No one is the "stand on" vessel if there's no chance of a collision, and at 15 knots it would be easy to avoid. I avoid boats going at that speed all the time.
Easy to stay out of the way?

No chance of collision?

With a ferry bearing down on you from dead astern with a closing speed of 10 knots (or 15, or 20)?

Just dart out of the way, no risk of collision, easy?

Raku, I am going to be blunt again, sorry for that, but it's for your own good (and of those reading this) -- you are a menace. You have a fundamental and total failure to understand the geometry of crossings with other vessels, what constitutes a risk of collision, and the appropriate way to respond to such a risk. You have an unrealistic fantasy in your mind about how these crossings work, and you mind is stubbornly and aggressively closed to new information. I implore you to go get some instruction before you kill someone.

I apologize to everyone for being such a bore. This is my last lecture on the subject, which I'm sure will be a relief to many
Old 22-09-2013, 04:37   #366
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac View Post
Maybe a small shot of reality here,
I've tried to attach a photo of the MV Hyak which may or may not load, allegedly Hyak is the ferry allegedly involved in what may or may not have been a maritime incident, that may or may not have involved a small vessel of some kind sinking, this alleged incident may or may not have been witnessed and if it was the witnesses credibility may or may not be zero.
It is admitted by the authorities involved that the MV Hyak was indeed there but as this may or may not be a cross jurisdictional matter, they're saying nothing further.
Further details of this rather large, therefore easily avoidable vessel, can be found here:-
MV Hyak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rumours have started on the internet that the captain may or may not have been picking the locks of ankle chains and was distracted from the captains lawfully bound responsibility to always face forward and see what they may or may not be on a collision course with.
These rumours are to be vigorously denied by whatever authority is chosen to deny them at the appropriate time, whenever that may or may not be.
Bondage of any kind has not been permitted on these vessels for some months now, the work itself should provide enough pleasure and satisfaction, or maybe not.
It is also to be vigorously denied that any members of any witness program were involved at all, maybe.
Details of the missing yacht are hard to come by as no-one wants to dive that deep, to confirm anything.
Confirmation isn't everything and who would believe the diver anyway as it would be an eyewitness report?

Hope this clears a few things up.
Cheers,
Mac

Well, once again the media reports are unreliable. What the paper reported was the the bondage issue had been settled "in the captain's favor," but since the reporter failed to find out what the captain's preferences were, the information is still woefully inadequate.

Stupid reporters!
Old 22-09-2013, 06:09   #367
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Easy to stay out of the way?

No chance of collision?

With a ferry bearing down on you from dead astern with a closing speed of 10 knots (or 15, or 20)?

Just dart out of the way, no risk of collision, easy?

Raku, I am going to be blunt again, sorry for that, but it's for your own good (and of those reading this) -- you are a menace. You have a fundamental and total failure to understand the geometry of crossings with other vessels, what constitutes a risk of collision, and the appropriate way to respond to such a risk. You have an unrealistic fantasy in your mind about how these crossings work, and you mind is stubbornly and aggressively closed to new information. I implore you to go get some instruction before you kill someone.

I apologize to everyone for being such a bore. This is my last lecture on the subject, which I'm sure will be a relief to many
well said
Old 22-09-2013, 06:30   #368

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Raku and dockhead, are you sure you two aren't married. Your exchanges remind me of conversations with my wife over her......
Old 22-09-2013, 06:33   #369

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Does anyone else think this is appropriate for the "educational" COLREGs discussions????

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ats-89285.html

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein
Old 22-09-2013, 06:45   #370

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What can happen when you cut off a ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... your mind is stubbornly and aggressively closed to new information.

Not me DH, I loved it.
Old 22-09-2013, 06:47   #371
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What can happen when you cut off a ferry

Bit of Pot & Kettle and the 'B' word going on here methinks....
The reality is there's the 'Book'.... and there's free choice... but... if one chooses to exercise the latter and F's Up be prepared for the 'Book' to smack you around the earhole...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-09-2013, 06:47   #372
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Not me DH, I loved it.

Of course you did.
Old 22-09-2013, 06:52   #373

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Does anyone else think this is appropriate for the "educational" COLREGs discussions????

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ats-89285.html

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein
Deja Whooo!
I remember now, I remember now, it wasn't my mind leaving at all thankyou wise one. I'm saved....etc
Great Sig, very appropriate.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 22-09-2013, 06:56   #374
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bit of Pot & Kettle and the 'B' word going on here methinks....
The reality is there's the 'Book'.... and there's free choice... but... if one chooses to exercise the latter and F's Up be prepared for the 'Book' to smack you around the earhole...

Of course. That's why one moves out of the way sooner rather than later, so the book doesn't even apply.

I'm a chicken. I don't WANT a big ferry bearing down on me. I don't WANT to worry about which is the stand-on vessel and wet myself while I pray for that big give-way ferry to move. I won't be anywhere near it to begin with. It would be a non-event, never noticed by any SANE other boater, unremarkable in every way. I don't believe in deadlines on sailboats, so I'm in no rush. Where do I want to cross that ferry? From behind, and it's not hard to do. It happens here all the time with power boats that while smaller, are going much faster than that ferry.

When this thread first started and people started jumping up and down about how fast they were, I thought we were talking about something like the "fastboat" ferry that travels between Ft. Myers and Key West in a little less than four hours. Now THAT'S a ferry to pay attention to! It can move up to 36 knots.

This whole thing is absurd -- and nasty.
Old 22-09-2013, 07:41   #375

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55
No need to apologize. I always appreciate your contribution to this forum..

Cheers
Sindbad
Closed Thread

Tags
Ferry, sail, sailboat, washing, Washington