Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 11:49   #331

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
This thread was temporarily and inadvertently closed.

As they say in the military, as you were
Old 21-09-2013, 13:08   #332
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: What can happen when you cut off a ferry

Its a simple enough situation based on what we know, other facts may emerge well see.]

based on what happened the ferry ran over the sailboat , when the ferry should have kept clear.

Dockhead is to be listened to when we talks about COLREGS, and its a red herring to say their are any significant differences in regards Inland.

The " turn and run" approach is not the sum total of avoiding collisions.

Dave
Old 21-09-2013, 13:29   #333
cruiser

There's a difference between a red herring and ignorance. So have a seat.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I need to know which COLREGS to study.

I'm also figuring out who to listen to here-- and it sounds to me like the English Channel operates on a different set of COLREGS than Puget Sound does. Based on that, if a guy is an expert in the English Channel, he may or may not be an expert in Puget Sound, depending on how many different COLREGS there are and how significant the differences are.

Then this post seems to imply there is yet another set of rules called the NAVRULES:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I love how amateur boaters think they can even begin to imagine what a professional captain of higher ratings is thinking when it comes to avoiding recreational boaters....

First of all...it's a roll of the dice to maneuver your vessel thinking that the amateur is going to follow the NAVRULEs...do they even know what the NAVRULEs are all about.?????
However, searching on "navrules" takes me right back to the COLREGS, so it appears to me that they are two names for the same system. "NAVRULES" appears to be the formal name, and COLREGS the nickname.

And finally this post seems to imply that in Europe, there is yet another set of rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
EU and the Rest of the World inland waterways rules maybe worth checking as you guys chose to be different in Navigation to the normal...
It would be okay with me to write him off-- he uses a weird font, and Americans are all about appearance.

On another topic, the idea of trying to enforce a "sterile cockpit" on a charter sloop with a crew that is all paying to be there isn't going to fly.
Old 21-09-2013, 13:43   #334
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

along with that compass (not a trivial purchase)
A very trivial purchase actually. He did not care what it did, he did not want to learn, he did not even want one but had to have one. He did not want to know about anything but it's cost. He bought a $9.95 folding army green one that is basically a toy that you would give to the kids.

Coops.
Old 21-09-2013, 13:49   #335

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

I'm also figuring out who to listen to here-- and it sounds to me like the English Channel operates on a different set of COLREGS than Puget Sound does. Based on that, if a guy is an expert in the English Channel, he may or may not be an expert in Puget Sound, depending on how many different COLREGS there are and how significant the differences are.

Then this post seems to imply there is yet another set of rules called the NAVRULES:

However, searching on "navrules" takes me right back to the COLREGS, so it appears to me that they are two names for the same system. "NAVRULES" appears to be the formal name, and COLREGS the nickname.

And finally this post seems to imply that in Europe, there is yet another set of rules:

It would be okay with me to write him off-- he uses a weird font, and Americans are all about appearance.
Colregs, Navrules, International Rules, are all just different (and not one of them official) names for the very same international set of rules adopted for the whole world in 1972. The official name is the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea. They are exactly the same all over the world. So exactly the same in San Francisco Bay, in the Sea of Cortez, in the English Channel, in the South China Sea, the Baltic, etc., etc. Maybe that's why they're called the "International" Rules

The rules in the English Channel are precisely, word for word, the same as they are in Puget Sound, until you pass the Colregs Demarcation Line.

The Colregs (or whichever other nickname you prefer) do not apply to inland waterways. There every state is free to set their own rules. So yes, in Europe there is a harmonized code of inland navigation rules called CEVNI which is uniform throughout Europe.

In the U.S., we have our own Inland Navigation Rules which are in fact almost exactly identical to the Colregs with just a few deviations for river-specific matters, and with some different signals and lights. You can read the line by line comparison in the Coast Guard link I posted earlier.

Once you pass the Colregs Demarcation Line in Puget Sound, you are under the Inland Navigation Rules, but as long as you are not navigating in a river, the differences are practically immaterial.

So differences between rules is not an issue here, or hardly ever. The rules are pretty much universal, certainly what concerns overtaking, standing on, etc.

It's not actually all that complicated.
Old 21-09-2013, 13:51   #336
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

On another topic, the idea of trying to enforce a "sterile cockpit" on a charter sloop with a crew that is all paying to be there isn't going to fly.

You are very confused about COLREGS and how they apply and the US inland regs ( which are really just a small mod of the COLREGS)

The overtaking rules are the same anyway, Dockheads and others experience of the English Channel is entirely appropriate anywhere in the world.

dave
Old 21-09-2013, 14:12   #337

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
Looks like they go about 15 knots:

WSDOT - Ferries - VesselWatch
At gross tonnage 17 knots. At lighter loads, like on a Friday in September and with a hull speed of 23 knots 20 knots would be typical. I'm not real sure whether its a mitigating factor for the ferry if they ran this guy over going slower than they might.
Old 21-09-2013, 14:47   #338

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Most of us learned way back in grade school that a compass points north. That's pretty basic information that has nothing to do with sailing.
Where did you go to school? No, a compass does not point north, as in the North Pole. It points to wherever the earth's magnetism dictates at your particular location as affected by the peculiarities of your boat.
Old 21-09-2013, 14:58   #339

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Where did you go to school? No, a compass does not point north, as in the North Pole. It points to wherever the earth's magnetism dictates at your particular location as affected by the peculiarities of your boat.
Just a question but for those of us who still use a compass (not a GPS or a chartplotter), how many enter their heading into the log as True North?

Just wondering because I enter mine as magnetic and show any deviation for that heading.
Old 21-09-2013, 15:11   #340

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Yes we were made quite aware that there was a deviation. However I think most people understand when we say a compass points north we were talking normally direction.
Old 21-09-2013, 15:19   #341

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Just a question but for those of us who still use a compass (not a GPS or a chartplotter), how many enter their heading into the log as True North?

Just wondering because I enter mine as magnetic and show any deviation for that heading.
Thread drift, but I do it like you do.

In fact, I use magnetic north for everything, and all my electronics use magnetic north, too. That's because, like you, I'm compass-oriented -- electronics, as much as I love 'em, are secondary instruments.
Old 21-09-2013, 15:25   #342
cruiser

So I only need to learn one set of COLREGS.

Now.

Moving on to bridge-to-bridge between a sail boat and a Washington State Ferry, how formal is it? Are there specific words that one uses to ask the captain what he's going to do?
Old 21-09-2013, 15:41   #343

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: What can happen when you cut off a ferry

Quote:
... Moving on to bridge-to-bridge between a sail boat and a Washington State Ferry, how formal is it? Are there specific words that one uses to ask the captain what he's going to do?
Ha ha ha. That's too easy.
Old 21-09-2013, 16:11   #344

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So I only need to learn one set of COLREGS.

Now.

Moving on to bridge-to-bridge between a sail boat and a Washington State Ferry, how formal is it? Are there specific words that one uses to ask the captain what he's going to do?
Oh, definitely. Write this down, so you don't mix anything up:

"What the f*** are you doing you crazy barsteward, don't you see you're about to run me the f*** down??!!"

Or, to save time, you could use one of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	collflare.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	67651

Click image for larger version

Name:	collflare2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	67652

Which conveys roughly the same message.
Old 21-09-2013, 18:35   #345
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What can happen when you cut off a ferry

Quote:
Oh *****... another Ferry Skipper...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
Ferry, sail, sailboat, washing, Washington