Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: The biggest waves you're experienced at sea?
1 to 4 feet 2 1.55%
5 to 9 feet 20 15.50%
10 to 14 feet 29 22.48%
15 -19 feet 21 16.28%
20 - 24 feet 17 13.18%
Above 25 feet 40 31.01%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-05-2008, 11:40   #46
cruiser

An interesting thing about rogue waves:

They don't seem to ever make it ashore. A 50 ft wave would likely destroy the SC beaches. Because of this, are we to assume they are merely cases of constructive interference between various waves and wave trains?

Just a little thought I had.

Old 31-05-2008, 11:46   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Many times its not the size of the wave as it is the type of wave, In the San Francisco Bay there is an odd occurance that happens during a flod tid when the in comming water from the ocean hits the out going water from the bay.. it creates a chop in the range of 4 to 5 feet between Alcatraze and the golden gate bridge. and thats with NO wind.. If you get caught out there without wind to get you through, you get thrashed around like being in a washing machine.

Old 31-05-2008, 13:37   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I was aboard the USS Blue Ridge, USN Seventh Fleet's Flagship "somewhere near" the Sea of Okhotsk in February. We had a lot of ice on the superstructure and did a 45 degree roll in what looked to me to be a wave level with the Admiral's Bridge, 60 feet above the water. I was an Aviator, and therefore fair game with all the Blackshoe sailors around, but they said that was pretty bad. I sure as hell don't want to go back and measure it!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:03   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
The sailing was some of the best I've ever experienced. It's so rare to have flat water and huge winds blasting you along at 7 knots.
Sully, pull that drogue in and let her fly :-)
Quote:
Um.... WOW!

I hope I never see anything like this.
You probably won't. Note that the wave is very short on base and width for it's hight. They don't last long. They are created by a collapsing transition of energy. Usually two waves either side collapse and the energy is imparted to create a "standing wave". We see the same thing happen in sound.
Also remember that a small boat goes up and over these things. As I said earlier, it is when one of these things get tall enough to break and fall over themselves that they can be extremely dangerous. A ship the size of that one won't go up and over. A wave like that simply slams into the bow and can create a lot of damage.
They are the shape of the things we went through. And if it wasn't for such a large ship in the picture, I would swear they are the similar size.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:17   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Sully, pull that drogue in and let her fly :-)

I was going to post more details, but didn't.

The reading was against a substantial current. 7 knots over land was FLYING for that section of the Sound.
Old 01-06-2008, 17:29   #51

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Many times its not the size of the wave as it is the type of wave, In the San Francisco Bay there is an odd occurance that happens during a flod tid when the in comming water from the ocean hits the out going water from the bay.. it creates a chop in the range of 4 to 5 feet between Alcatraze and the golden gate bridge. and thats with NO wind.. If you get caught out there without wind to get you through, you get thrashed around like being in a washing machine.
Those are conditions that surfers like at the beach, as the outgoing water causes the waves to get tall and hollow...making for fast tubular waves.
Old 01-06-2008, 19:32   #52

Boat: Pearson 31-2
biggest waves... late 80s I was in steady 30' seas for more than 2 days on a cuba to norfolk run off Charleston. Of course, I was on a 270' cg cutter so it wasn't deadly, but it was pretty crazy. The bridge is like 60' above sea level and we were taking green water up there every time we buried our nose in.

worst/most dangerous ... 4 or 5 years ago I took my 21' bow rider up the intercoastal to Jupiter, FL and there was 20+' swells rolling in from the NE. So I took my boat and unhappy passenger out for a closer look. When we were about close enough I turned my head to see where the jetty was and saw it behind me and fading fast. I hadn't realized the tide was ripping out of the inlet and when I whipped my head back around it was too late. We were in it. I thought we were gonna die and I suspect all the people on the jetty did too. By some miracle we made it out of the fray and had to ride all the way back down to Palm Beach inlet in 20+' rollers, which compared to the mouth of the inlet was a walk in the park. There were times in the inlet when it felt like my boat was almost vertical and I had to stop myself from toppling over the windshield. It was tough even holding myself off the wheel so I could steer the boat.

live and learn.
Old 02-06-2008, 21:47   #53
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
How Big!!

They were so Big....... we had to lower a line to the rescue helicopter.....
Old 02-06-2008, 22:32   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
200 miles north of North cape , NZ in June. The sun went below the crest. We rolled.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:06   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
That was very funny Pelagic. Well done.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:52   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Aquah0lic,

I would truly be surprised if the bridge height-of-eye in a 270' cutter was more than 35 feet. Still sounds like it was quite a ride.

Kevin
Old 03-06-2008, 08:20   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
An interesting thing about rogue waves:

They don't seem to ever make it ashore. A 50 ft wave would likely destroy the SC beaches. Because of this, are we to assume they are merely cases of constructive interference between various waves and wave trains?

Just a little thought I had.
I think you were busy working on the new boat in March when one came ashore in Spain:

cbs4.com - Rogue Wave Washes Over Seawall In Spain
Old 03-06-2008, 09:32   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
200 miles north of North cape , NZ in June. The sun went below the crest. We rolled.
Care to elaborate? We all love a good sea story. Sometimes we even learn something from it.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
A couple of weeks ago, Fredia and I were on our first mini cruise and ran into some nasty stuff. Right in the middle of the mouth of the San Juan de Fuca, headed from San Juan to Port Townsend, we ran into a clear air Gale that was blowing against a strong ebb. The big boat we were chasing came about after the first 10 minutes and beat feet back North. The waves quickly built to 6-8' on the beam so I bore off and had Fredia take the helm while I furled the Genny and rigged the Solent stay and Staysail. Fredia wasn't happy surfing since she couldn't see where she was going while sitting down and the forces were too high to stand up and drive. After spending part of the time pointing where she should steer while rigging and bending on the sail, I finally took the helm and pointed back up to a beam reach.

To say it was a wild ride would be an understatement. While heeled 35* we would catch the wave, heel to 45 or so and surf along the face for 20-40 seconds until the wave finally passed. This progressed to 10-12 footers with the occasional 14+ when two waves would collide and join. The closer we got to Wilson Point, the worse it got with confused waves from 2-3 different directions that were only as wide as they were tall. We spent four hours pounding through these beam seas and saw speeds of 10+ AGAINST the ebb while surfing on a boat with a 6.9 knots hull speed. This was Fredia's first encounter with any real seas and she wasn't happy. She spent the four hours perched on the companionway ladder, too scared to come out and too subject to Mal de Mar to stay below. She's still quite the trooper though and went forward to douse once we finally ducked around Point Wilson and reached flat water.

What did I learn?
Reef early, I still had the full main up throughout.
Maintain speed in beam seas, the boat handled the seas better with a turn of speed. The boat won't trip on her keel in beam (non-breaking) seas, at least up to 1/3 her LOA.
Don't sail in beam seas unless ya have to. We didn't have to but I wanted the experience and the seas were manageable at the time.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:43   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Charlie,
I know that area well. Even with NO wind it can be ugly.

Steve B.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: