Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 11:40   #1

Boat: Pearson 38'-Life's An Adventure
What are the Best Marinas at the Best Price in Rhode Island?

I'm moving my boat from NY to Rhode Island and have been doing my research but would like to hear from anyone with personal experience as to their thoughts on the Best Marinas at the Best Price in Rhode Island.
Old 16-02-2013, 12:49   #2

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: What are the Best Marinas at the Best Price in Rhode Island?

Will you be moving/living aboard or will you be coming to the boat from NY? If the latter, you'll probably want to limit your self to the West side of Narragansett Bay. We're on a mooring in Bristol so have no first hand experience of marina rates. We've heard good things about both East Greenwich and Wickford. East Greenwich is well protected. We haven't been into Wickford. Active Captain is also a useful resource for services along the Bay.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:56   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

What are you looking for in a marina? One person's Best might not be another person's. For example, I like funky, old, quiet, out of the way, and don't care much about the facilities ashore. Others want a place in the middle of the action with a restaurant/bar, and all the mod cons.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Will you be moving/living aboard or will you be coming to the boat from NY? If the latter, you'll probably want to limit your self to the West side of Narragansett Bay. We're on a mooring in Bristol so have no first hand experience of marina rates. We've heard good things about both East Greenwich and Wickford. East Greenwich is well protected. We haven't been into Wickford. Active Captain is also a useful resource for services along the Bay.
Tartan,
I already moved my boat to RI between Xmas and the New Year to Universal Marine for some repairs. I will still be living in New Jersey and traveling to Rhode Island as often as possible. I did speak with Apponaug Marina in East Greenwich that has reasonable dock rates. Also Bay Marina in Warwick. I've tried to open the interactive guide on active captain but I think because I have a Mac it won't open.

Thanks for the info.

Joe
Old 17-02-2013, 10:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What are you looking for in a marina? One person's Best might not be another person's. For example, I like funky, old, quiet, out of the way, and don't care much about the facilities ashore. Others want a place in the middle of the action with a restaurant/bar, and all the mod cons.
Kettlewell,

Fair enough. I guess in this instance I should clarify. I am looking not for frills but a facility that has floating docks with working electricity, running water with onshore bathrooms and showers that are clean. I prefer not to be in the middle of anything in particular. I do need a place that is safe, secure and protected since I will be far off in New Jersey. If you must know more I'd prefer to be the only boat in an anchorage on a remote Caribbean island.

Joe
Old 17-02-2013, 10:14   #6

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

We were with some sailing friends this weekend. Unsolicited, they started talking about how much they like Wickford. I have no direct experience, but you may want to add it to your list. One of its advantages is that it is further south than some of the other options which makes access to open water that much faster.

I access Active Captain routinely on a Mac without problems. (I just logged on from an iMac running 10.7.5 Firefox and a MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 and Chrome without problems.) You may want to contact them if you're having trouble getting on.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
We were with some sailing friends this weekend. Unsolicited, they started talking about how much they like Wickford. I have no direct experience, but you may want to add it to your list. One of its advantages is that it is further south than some of the other options which makes access to open water that much faster.

I access Active Captain routinely on a Mac without problems. (I just logged on from an iMac running 10.7.5 Firefox and a MacBook Pro running 10.8.2 and Chrome without problems.) You may want to contact them if you're having trouble getting on.
Tartan,

I was looking at Wickford but the owner of Dutch Harbor Boat Yard mentioned that that area damaged during Hurricane Sandy. The area I was mooring my boat for the past three years was very susceptible to southerly winds and many boats were damaged each year and that happened sometimes twice a year so understand my concern. Are boats kept in Wickford not susceptible to damage from strong winds?

I did contact active captain but for some reason suggested I join SEAS to help the issue. I didn't know a reason I should do that so I haven't tried again.

Joe