Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 11:47   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: What affect if the Mizzen sail is removed from a Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Maybe, or maybe not. You shouldn't make blanket statements like that, because different boats react very difference to changes in the sail

..Weather helm is a linear function of heel angle. .......

If the OP removed his mizzen, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he will sail FASTER, not slower, at least upwind, as a considerable amount of drag is eliminated, and the mizzen on a ketch generally produces usable drive only on a reach.

the laws of physics are the laws of physics.

Removing sail area aft of the existing CE by definition moves the CE forward.

Beyond that I will yield. NO BLANKET STATEMENTS WERE MADE

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 06:06   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
the laws of physics are the laws of physics.

Removing sail area aft of the existing CE by definition moves the CE forward.

Beyond that I will yield. NO BLANKET STATEMENTS WERE MADE

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
No question about that - but you went on to say that this would result in lee helm and slowing the boat down due to rudder angle.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 20:35   #33

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

No one has mentioned the fact that the mizzen mast makes a great place to put the radar, wind generator and TV antenna - not to mention the nice LED spreader lights to light up the aft cockpit of your 33.
I have a 1983 36' Nauticat and I use the mizzen a lot. As many other posters have pointed out, jib and jigger is very handy.
I LOVE my Nauticat!!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 29-08-2015, 03:32   #34

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

G'day,

I had a 33ft Tahiti ketch thirty years ago which I cruised extensively. What most of the replies say is true, but in all fairness it will make little difference to the performance of the boat if you remove it. I found that once the wind came aft of the mast the mizzen had to come down otherwise I had so much weather helm it was difficult to steer and it also blanketed the main. If you are intending to go cruising and follow the trades, then you will be spending possibly ninety percent or more time down wind and the mizzen will be useless. Far better to remove it and make your cockpit more comfortable and dry. One of the main reasons for multi masted boats way back then, was the lack of decent strong mast material, rigging, chainplates etc. The rig design tended to go out rather than up. Bowsprits, extended booms etc.

I can assure you you won't regret removing it, to have the extra comfort and space.

James

James
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 00:43   #35
cruiser

I know this is an old thread but im just about to look at a Nauticat 44 to buy right now. It's a Sloop rig (with jib tacked to a bowsprit) from factory i.e. the mast hadn't been removed it was never fitted! but as we are well aware its just a Ketch rig with the Mizzen mast omitted.
The dealer has told me that Nauticat supplied the 44 Motor sailor in Ketch (with or without staysail cutter rig,) Schooner or Sloop. The Schooner was a proper rig change with fore mast moved to fore deck & main mast to pilot house deck. Im a bit disappointed in Nauticat for not doing a true Sloop rig change which would of entailed taller mast stepped further aft with longer boom and possibly no bow spirit for the gib tack, they seemed to have gone the easier route if someone ordered a sloop was to just not fitting a mizzen mast! in my eyes that's not a sloop, that's a cop out!
My last yacht was a ketch so i do favor them, i would even consider fitting a mizzen mast to this 44 if i felt the need, depends how she sails.
But to answer the posted question, i would never remove a mizzen mast if fitted.
mal_l is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail