Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2005, 13:12   #46
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Yeah, I have a Fortress 55 packed away under the cockpit for 'cane use..And it is convenient.

For an everyday anchor however, I sure would prefer an one-piece construction...And voted with my valet.

Have used CQRs in the past, but like the Delta better.
Also owned a Bruce 66 on previous boat, but never got it wet.
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:04   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CSY Man says he “voted with my valet”, so I suppose he just got what his man brought back.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 15:13   #48

Seems like the neverending topic...

This is probably a case where I should quit reading and researching and just go sailing but here goes.

We have a Jeanneau 40 that weighs about 17000 lbs. We cruise the gulf coast of Florida so that means shallow anchorages, minimal tidal currents, and sand, grass, or mud bottoms.

The boat came with a 33lb Bruce style (simpson lawrence) and 200' of 3/8" chain. When we bought the boat, I initially thought that the anchor was too small and was unconvinced about the Bruce. I was broke, though, because I had just bought a boat, so I figured I'd try it out.

In actual usage, the combination of the Bruce and a lot of chain rode has worked very well. We've weathered sustained winds of over 50 knots several times and, in fact, just rode out hurricane Dennis (40 miles from the eye) with no issues.

We are VERY careful when we anchor, we go slow, always use at least 6:1 scope, set the anchor with the engine, use a snubber, and pay attention.

So, should I adopt the "If it ain't broke..." mindset, or, have I just been living on luck?

P.S. Isn't voting with your valet illegal?
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 16:23   #49

Quote:
CSY Man says he “voted with my valet”, so I suppose he just got what his man brought back.
Uh, there should have been a W? as in wallet?

Quote:
P.S. Isn't voting with your valet illegal?
Yeah, yeah.

Well gentlemen, English is my second language and sometimes it shows in my spelling and grammar.

I can do better in other languages, so lets switch anytime.
Old 28-07-2005, 20:59   #50

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Lightbulb ANCHOR

ON MY CAL 35 I KEEP A BRUCE 35LB ON THE BOWROLLER AND A BRUCE 35LB ON THE STERN. IN ADDITION I KEEP A DELTA BREAKDOWN ANCHOR IN THE STERN LAZ FOR A BACK UP. TO MY UNDERSTANDING THE TYPE OF ANCHOR IS SOMETIMES DEPENDENT ON WHERE YOU SAIL/ANCHOR. TO CONFIRM A PREVIOUS STATEMENT ONE POUND FOR EVERY FOOT OF BOAT IS A GENERAL RULE OF THUMB.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 21:21   #51

Quote:
IN ADDITION I KEEP A DELTA BREAKDOWN ANCHOR IN THE STERN
Huh, Delta breakdown..?

Did ya use a chainsaw and cut it in half?

As for a pound @ foot..That would be minimum for fair weather anchoring.

If ya love yer boat and like sleeping good, I'd go up a size or 2.

After having meet numerous people on boats in storm and hurricanes while anchored, I have NEVER heard anybody complain about an anchor that was too big...Never ever.

Old 29-07-2005, 01:25   #52
Eternal Member

Quote:
[i]CSY Man i]
Hmm, all good and nifty, but what about that little pesky bolt and that little nut that could come loose and separate all the hell-holding from the boat...?Did ya ever consider welding the pieces together?

Maybe rubber-dinghy sailors care about taking their anchors apart to store 'em with the rolled up dinghy for minimum space in the garage, but normal boaters leave their anchors up on the bow, or in the water, year around.

No need for taking the anchor apart...? Cheaper production?Cheaper transportaion and shipping?

As always it is a question of compromise..

It would be both more simple and cheaper to manufacture a “one piece” anchor.
Some people will only buy a single piece anchor but some prefer a dismountable one..

This is the case with me, as a “normal” boater (and absolutely not rubber-dinghy sailor, except to go from the anchorage to the shore) I leave my main anchor on the bow roller, but I also have a bigger “storm” anchor stored dismounted in the bilge..

But if this feature would be interesting, it doesn’t introduce a weak link in a strong anchor..

In 10 years and thousand anchors sold, and sold mostly to people who care about anchoring, only one problem.. Yes I agree, one is already too much, but this case was very strange and we never had the proof that the problem was really due to the “little pesky bolt and that little nut”..
Alain d'HYLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 16:59   #53

If different anchor designs result in different holding power (I think we'd agree to that)

If different anchor designs yield different tip weight for digging in (this is at least logically sensible on its face)

If one heavy-displacement 35-footer has tons of freeboard and windage, and the sleek 35-foot J-boat bobs and dances like a cork at anchor (I think we'd all agree these two boats would create very different challenges for your ground tackle),

Then the old saw of "use 1 pound of anchor weight for every foot of boat length" has very little relation to the actual dynamics involved, beyond initial digging in force (but this is affected by tip angle, so even it is relative).

It simply serves as a blind "rule of thumb" that provides psychological security for me & makes me an authority at the dock.
Old 01-08-2005, 19:23   #54

BREAKDOWN DELTA

CONSIDERING THE OTHER TWO BRUCE ANCHORS ON WINDTHIEF. I SHOULD HOPE TO NEVER HAVE TO PUT TOGETHER THE DELTA. HOW MANY ANCHORS WOULD YOU SUGGEST I CARRY(OF THE NON-BREAKDOWN STYLE)?
IN RESPONSE TO THE 35# ON MY BRUCE ANCHORS: THE BOAT IS TRULY A CAL 2-30. A FEW YEARS AGO THE TRANSOM WAS EXTENDED AT A BOATYARD IN MEXICO. A THREE FOOT LAZ. AND TWO FOOT SUGAR SCOOP. RADAR TOWER AND SELF STEERING VANE WERE ALSO ADDED TO THIS STERN TRANSPLANT. A HARD THING TO ESTIMATE THE ADDITIONAL WEIGHT FOR THE APPROPRIATE ANCHOR, ANY IDEAS TO IMPROVE MY CHOICE OF 35#'S.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:11   #55
cruiser

It worked so far...

We are half way back on the delivery right now... and the 45lb CQR with 200' of 3/8" chain has worked well. We only had 35kt winds with a thunderstorm, but it held no problem. We watched 3 other boats (out of 5 in the anchorage) drag at Washington Island in northern Wisconsin. We held well.

As always... I'm a bit of a scope freak, but this 45 seems to hold our 26,000lb Hirsh in place in a good blow. I still want to get another type (we have 2 CQRs of different sizes), and one monster for living on the hook in whatever nature throws at us.

Thanks for all the posts to this thread.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:14   #56

Brakdown Delta?

Quote:
I SHOULD HOPE TO NEVER HAVE TO PUT TOGETHER THE DELTA.
I am stil curious as to how you break down the Delta and then put it back together...?

(Have tried that with my Delta, but it won't budge.. )
Old 08-08-2005, 11:20   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I suspect Bradley's confusing the Delta with a Fortress (or somesuch):
DELTA Anchor: http://www.lewmar.com/webcat/features/anchors.html
FORTRESS Anchor: http://www.fortressanchors.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 17:06   #58

VERY GOOD, L.O.L.

IN MY HASTE TO GET THE REPLY OUT I DID NOT MEAN DELTA AND SHOULD HAVE LISTED FORTRESS. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE CORRECTION.

THANKS AGAIN,

BRADLEY
Old 09-08-2005, 19:15   #59

Nice boat, but no anchor....?..
Old 11-08-2005, 15:24   #60

Talking

FOR SECURITY PURPOSES I HAVE TO OMIT IT OUT OF THE PICTURE.

Tags
anchor