Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2008, 01:40   #1

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
What a shame about the Americas Cup

I'm feeling like I've had my head buried in the sand - as I'd obviously not kept up to speed on what's resulted on this event whilst we've been away cruising.

Having filled a small role in the Fremantle Cup defense and seeing not only how much pleasure this traditionally monohull event has given - but then also witnessing the loss of credibility first the Kiwis and then the Americans got with the big boat v cat fiasco - I really had hoped all that kind of nonsense had gone. In my mind, salors are too big for that kind of rubbish.

Obviously not so. To see something similar being repeated is IMHO, a disgrace.

It is the only way I can protest, but I for one will not be buying anything from any firm that sponsors the challengers this time round. They probably will not care, but it makes me feel better and if more did the same, it just might influence these people into growing up.

What a shame its got to this position. A shame for the event, its followers, its workers, the sport, and definately for the sadsters who use their wealth in such a destructive way.

Rant over.

JOHN
Old 24-03-2008, 04:21   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
What a shame its got to this position. A shame for the event, its followers, its workers, the sport, and definately for the sadsters who use their wealth in such a destructive way.

Rant over.

JOHN
Wonderfully well said!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 04:25   #3

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I don't see why there is an objection to using the fastest structure available, rather than spending enormous effort on an out dated structure. This should hopefully develop fast boats in general.
RObert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 04:26   #4

I don't really follow the America's cup. What's going on?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 05:09   #5

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I don't really follow the America's cup. What's going on?
America's Cup update: Oracle offering Swiss defender Alinghi a chance to race | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Personally, I love the America's Cup, but I won't be watching this time. It won't be the same with cats/tris. IMO they have ruined a wonderful tradition. Typical American strategy.....use the courts to gain an advantage, instead of settling it on the water.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 05:13   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The America's Cup has come so far from it's roots as to be unrecognizable. I prefer the old way.
Old 24-03-2008, 05:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A bunch of spoiled prima donnas.

New York Supreme Court judge Herman Cahn has denied a request by Société Nautique de Genève, representing the America’s Cup defender Alinghi, to reargue his November decision in favour of the Golden Gate Yacht Club, which represents Larry’s Ellison’s America’s Cup challenger BMW Oracle. The judge also refused a request to invalidate BMW Oracle's Deed of Gift challenge.
Alinghi said immediately that they would not appeal, and looked forward to racing with BMW Oracle in July 2009; but BMW Oracle said that the competition would be held in October 2008.
Bertarelli, the owner of the Swiss Alinghi team that holds the America’s Cup, told the American Oracle team that “it is simply impossible for us to construct a boat to defend the cup in a seven month time frame.” The Oracle team, is already building a 90-foot multihull, believed to be a trimaran, for a match next October.

The Deed of Gift says that the defender gets to pick where the race will be sailed.

But when it comes to when, the deed states: “The Challenging Club shall give ten months’ notice, in writing, naming the days for the proposed races; but no race shall be sailed in the days intervening between November 1st and May 1st if the races are to conducted in the Northern Hemisphere; and no race shall be sailed in the days intervening between May 1st and November 1st if the races are to be conducted in the Southern Hemisphere.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 05:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Part of the fascination, in my mind, was to see how the rules could be stretched without being broken. Having parameters to work within helps drive innovations in materials, design, etc. that might not be there if you explode the box.

Even if cheetahs are faster than horses, you don't enter a cheetah in a horse race.

At its heart, it is a monohull race and it should stay that way. Make another race for multis and I will be just as excited to watch!
Old 24-03-2008, 05:53   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
I'd like to see the multis put into their own class. Then give both classes a LOA limit. Barring that, a separate set of races. If the judges really, really love handicapping they can work on adjusting course or boat lengths for approximately equal finish times.

Other than that, go for it. That should preserve the push towards high tech innovations and still keep an emphasis on skill and tactics.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t help emphasize sportsmanship a bit.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 07:54   #10

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I must say all the rule bending and court action seems pretty lame to me but... I really am happy that multihulls will be sailing in the next AC. Personally I have always found the AC dull. Putting the fastest most exciting boats out there will help the sport and create more interest.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 08:07   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Sorry guys, I am going to be the fly in the ointment here.

What has the present multi billion dollar racing industry and the history of the Americas Cup got to do with “sportsmanship”?.....Absolutely Nothing!

From its very inception there have been back-room manoeuvres and strategies at the highest level, to “win at all costs” and as the stakes got higher and higher, the strategies within the “Deed of Gift” have become more inventive and cut-throat.

Just as on the water, there is no mercy in pre-start tactics…. this pinnacle of professional racing is designed to push every aspect to the limit in order to win.

For the primary investors, putting 100’s of millions into a particular campaign is a major commitment and there is no second place and no excuse to ignore any advantage you might find.

Bertarelli has been every bit as cut-throat in some of his tactics to control the next venue and it has backfired.

Ellison did not inherit his Billions as did Eernesto so to criticise this level of aggression is pointless and remember…. we are only spectators in the sport of these Kings of Multinational Corporations.

I recommend you just sit back and enjoy the free ride.

It will be fun to watch!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 08:27   #12

Why don't they just obey the rules. They seem very clear to me. Why do people take everything to court? It's such a frivolous use of the judicial system.
Old 24-03-2008, 08:34   #13

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Motivation. . . .

Pushing the envelope in racing has produced many technological advances from inovative keel shapes in monohull boat design to traction control in automobiles. It seems to me when the motivation is to win at any cost (rather than to test the limits of technology) the result is less-than steller e.g., does anyone remember the six-wheeled F-1 car? Like Hud, I too like the old way, but I would love to see the multi hulls race in their own class; they're fast. To me, that would be much more honorable.
Old 24-03-2008, 08:34   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Tacking duels are the most exciting part of the race. With multis that could get pretty boring.
Old 24-03-2008, 08:46   #15

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Tacking duels are the most exciting part of the race. With multis that could get pretty boring.
Why do you think it will be boring? I think a tacking battle with boats doing 20-30 kts should produce some very exciting scenes personally. (And great crashes!)

I
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote