Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 10:43   #1

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
What a dump marina

We were just in the keys, we go regularly but man there seem to be a massive amount of junk sail boats up and down the keys on this trip. We pulled over to see anchor resort , there was a huge ship just sitting on the bottom call queen Ann's revenge and at least 5 boats with no masts and lot of junk. I talked to the bartender and he said he could not wait till the new law is passed in fl and they can remove all those boats. The hole bay looked like a junk pit. And this was in every place we stopped.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 11:59   #2
Eternal Member

Re: What a dump marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
We were just in the keys, we go regularly but man there seem to be a massive amount of junk sail boats up and down the keys on this trip. We pulled over to see anchor resort , there was a huge ship just sitting on the bottom call queen Ann's revenge and at least 5 boats with no masts and lot of junk. I talked to the bartender and he said he could not wait till the new law is passed in fl and they can remove all those boats. The hole bay looked like a junk pit. And this was in every place we stopped.

You should have asked that bartender what, specifically, in the pending legislation gives "them" the authority to remove 'unsightly' or derelict boats from an anchorage that "they" don't already have, under existing Florida law... Unless the said vessels are anchored within 200' of shore, that is...

Anyone who's cruised the Keys, it should certainly come as no surprise it has come to this... Only surprise to me, frankly, is that it's taken this long...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 13:08   #3
cruiser

Jeepers, "junk boats," those be fighting words for many here on the forum.

But I couldn't agree with you more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	98866  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 15:21   #4

Expect to be labeled as elitist shortly.

(I agree with you)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 15:41   #5

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Really, darn.

scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 18:57   #6

Elitists
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 19:30   #7

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Just because the Keys are not as squeaky clean and white as Hoity Toity Naples, doesn't mean it doesn't have more flavor, and it's certainly a lot more interesting to see characters, both people and boats...heheh. Wanna see a rich old white man? Naples. Someone fun with things to say? Key West.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 19:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Many people have the dream of doing what some of us do every day. But don't really have enough money and just do the best they can.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:47   #9

Re: What a dump marinaaving visited Sanibel Island last year for the first time and h

Somebody's "dump" is someone else's "funky". What is it with this always present desire to make every place, every taste, everyone look, taste and be the same? I call it the urge to "mcdonaldize" and "walmartize" the country.

Having visited Sannibel Island last year for the first time and having gone to KW dozens of times in the past 20 years I now know why I'll continue to visit KW and probably not return to Sanibel. The keyword to my decision is "boring". And guess to which place it applies.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 20:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Just because the Keys are not as squeaky clean and white as Hoity Toity Naples, doesn't mean it doesn't have more flavor, and it's certainly a lot more interesting to see characters, both people and boats...heheh. Wanna see a rich old white man? Naples. Someone fun with things to say? Key West.

Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 14-03-2015, 21:11   #11

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My old boss lives in Naples. I hate Naples. Full of crap boat captains that can't steer in fog.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:13   #12
cruiser

Re: What a dump marinaaving visited Sanibel Island last year for the first time and h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Somebody's "dump" is someone else's "funky". What is it with this always present desire to make every place, every taste, everyone look, taste and be the same? I call it the urge to "mcdonaldize" and "walmartize" the country.

Having visited Sannibel Island last year for the first time and having gone to KW dozens of times in the past 20 years I now know why I'll continue to visit KW and probably not return to Sanibel. The keyword to my decision is "boring". And guess to which place it applies.
So..... I suppose your ideal land-based vacation nirvana would be Detroit? Awesome.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:17   #13

Boat: csy 37

And if you think the Keys are junky now, you should have seen them back in the 70's. Now they have reliable electricity and running water, septic tanks and even sewers in some places, air conditioning, proper roads and bridges, mooring fields and marinas, and upscale hotels and restaraunts.

Please bring back the Keys of the 70's....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:31   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Wow I haven't been there since 06, they were cleaning boats out of Sannibel then. But I never thought the keys were junky just funky. I guess I would not be welcome in Naples today, as well as Venice....
What is it like off Miami?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 21:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So..... I suppose your ideal land-based vacation nirvana would be Detroit? Awesome.
What a strange comparison inserting Detroit into the conversation. If given a choice between a land vacation in Sanibel or KW I'll take KW anytime.

I guess I'm just a Delta House guy at heart. And you're an Omega house.