Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 13:41   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: What a dump marina

If all people did was anchor a decent looking boat for a couple of days and then move on, there wouldn't be any anchoring controversy in Florida or anywhere else. What is causing the pressure to pass these laws are the people who store boats at anchor without using them and let them deteriorate and the otherwise homeless people who take up residence on anchored boats and let them deteriorate or dump their garbage and sewage into the water when nobody is looking.
Old 16-03-2015, 14:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If all people did was anchor a decent looking boat for a couple of days and then move on, there wouldn't be any anchoring controversy in Florida or anywhere else. What is causing the pressure to pass these laws are the people who store boats at anchor without using them and let them deteriorate and the otherwise homeless people who take up residence on anchored boats and let them deteriorate or dump their garbage and sewage into the water when nobody is looking.
But the solution to this problem is not to throw the baby with the bath water. There is nothing currently on the books that stops the marine LE from cleaning up water ways from the derelicts you describe. And the fact that they are unwilling to do it is not a reason to enact more laws. This is no different than the situation with all the illegal aliens etc. If the existing laws were enforced we would not need the constant and futile additions of new rules and regs or any amnesties for that matter.

We as a country have traveled a long way toward becoming a 3rd world hell hole we are all discussing and dissing in SA thread. When the very few rich can dictate otherwise law abiding population who can and cannot anchor in front of their mansions ON A PUBLIC WATERWAY we are not as free as a society as we would like to imagine ourselves. This is a typical "banana republic" behavior on the part of both the waterfront mansion owners and the state reps licking their behinds and not a representative democracy of 1 person 1 vote that it's supposed to be.

And back to the topic. If the waterfront home owners purchased their homes with already a boat or two or many in the water outside the homes how in the world can they claim any right or privilege to kick those boats out? It's like a guy buying a home next to the airport and then demanding that the airport move somewhere else or mitigate the noise.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:09   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Hum, So I would be otherwise homeless as my boat is pretty much my only asset. Why I may stay someplace for a week or two or longer. Of course there is a question of what a decent looking boat is. Pretty sure my gel coat has not shined in 20 years.

Much of the Florida controversy is NIMBY. Yes there are derelict boats, but the Florida laws will not get rid of the derelicts, not many anyway.

Folks that live in condo's on the beach or in gated communities paying high association dues, think that any boat anchored next to their property is taking away from their rights, even if its a shiney late model boat. To the condo commando's, every boat is a derelict. Why else, as to them, normal folks live in condo's. Those boat people are all just boozer loosers.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:27   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum, So I would be otherwise homeless as my boat is pretty much my only asset. .....
Hum, well you're the one who said it.

If your boat looks decent and moves on every week or two, you are a full time cruiser. If it stays in one place for weeks or months, is covered in bird poop, has a dozen or more various fuel cans and spare parts on deck and if you haven't made provisions to legally get rid of your garbage and sewage, you are a hobo. It's just that your tent is a boat.

You can argue on a cruising forum all you want, it's the voters and legislators in Florida you need to be talking to.
Old 16-03-2015, 14:30   #50

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Hum, well you're the one who said it.

If your boat looks decent and moves on every week or two, you are a full time cruiser. If it stays in one place for weeks or months, is covered in bird poop, has a dozen or more various fuel cans and spare parts on deck and if you haven't made provisions to legally get rid of your garbage and sewage, you are a hobo. It's just that your tent is a boat.

You can argue on a cruising forum all you want, it's the voters and legislators in Florida you need to be talking to.
The voters in Florida don't even know this debate is going on. The legislators are bought & paid for.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:33   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
But the solution to this problem is not to throw the baby with the bath water. There is nothing currently on the books that stops the marine LE from cleaning up water ways from the derelicts you describe. .................
I agree that there are better ways of getting rid of the derelict boats than the currently proposed anchoring law but I'm not a Florida lawmaker or even a resident so I have no say in the issue.
Old 16-03-2015, 14:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The voters in Florida don't even know this debate is going on. The legislators are bought & paid for.
I would ask you to prove that but I know you can't.
Old 16-03-2015, 14:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

This is true. These are legislators voting, not voters. Most people aren't even aware of it.

Representative government is about organizing influence on legislators, not about giving each voter a say.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:39   #54

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I would bet it's only a few even bring this up but they seem to be winning the over all argument, let's hope we can get active and the people ibn our side can show the real law as it's written and it not pass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:40   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It's like a guy buying a home next to the airport and then demanding that the airport move somewhere else or mitigate the noise.
Sssh! That's actually been done.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:44   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
no not a realtor, but there in lies the problem there are more wealthy out there than us living aboard and there using the junk to sell this to those that don't really care but can see there point, the way there selling it and theres not enough our there on our side to sell it correctly, So the pass it by making the majority believe it will clean this up when all it will do is move us out and leave the junk. The state wont move it but they know eventual it will sink or wash away. Because we didn't control our own we are going to lose and they will win. All there doing is going up to the decision makers and saying would you be ok I'd park a pos rv in front of your house and left it. Vote done.

Your example doesn't make sense. So, the answer to someone parking an RV in front of my house is to ban parking, instead of just enforcing the existing parking laws?

Plus, your argument may make sense to a layman, but you can't pretend Admiralty Laws that pre-date the formation of our country don't come into play here, just because you don't like them or understand them.
Old 16-03-2015, 14:54   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Your example doesn't make sense. So, the answer to someone parking an RV in front of my house is to ban parking, instead of just enforcing the existing parking laws?

Plus, your argument may make sense to a layman, but you can't pretend Admiralty Laws that pre-date the formation of our country don't come into play here, just because you don't like them or understand them.
Yep and no one care about you're admirality laws that there trying to get this passed. They're trying to get the average Joe to understand the reasons they want the boats removed. We are a small group compared to those that don't own boats and they see pictures like what was at the beginning of this post and they wouldn't want that in their backyard so they all are saying yeah sure pass the law. No they're not being told the truth no kidding. You're being reasonable assuming other people who don't own boat care about people that do they don't care because it doesn't directly affect them. As I said I'm sure if you took the same people and explain to them the real law there trying to pass they would say no but they're not doing that and the group that is on our side is small.

Old 16-03-2015, 14:57   #58

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

What stops the derelict boats from being removed under current laws?
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:58   #59

nothing but the states not going to waste their money to do it.

Old 16-03-2015, 15:04   #60

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
nothing but the states not going to waste their money to do it.

So how is this law any different? Someone has to pay for enforcement.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote