Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 08:53   #31
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: What a dump marina

Quote:
Someone fun with things to say? Key West.
please spare me. you can smell key west from 10 miles out. fun things to say like watch me puke beer on the street? or look how i can live in a derelict boat and not have to wash my clothes or body for weeks at a time? right.
Old 15-03-2015, 09:11   #32

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
What you are proposing is still a government based solution. And will result in political cronies getting their hands on the program and steering the funds to their own or muscling out the little guy.

IMO the more workable solution would be a huge tax on new boats and a huge tax break on refurbing/selling and using old ones. And old economic maxim states - "We want to tax what we want to have less of and we don't want to tax what we want to have more of". Sure the glossy baot magazines and new boat dealers would hate it but the environment and the next few generations will thank us for that.

Or require that all new construction be made with X% of recyclable old fiberglass. This technology is here already but is being killed by cheap Chinese mat and resin which is heavily subsidized in China by artificially cheap labor and their total disregard for the environment.
Why pass it on to new owners and not bill the current owners or last on registration. With a tax lean you can't do any thing I don't think you can even renew your drivers license with a tax lien on your credit but that im not 100 percent sure. And I have no interest in refurbishing a boat but give major props to those that can and do it right. not to mention boat companies are struggling as it is let's not put more out of work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:15   #33

With a little luck I won't live long enough to see the Keys become a 'Sanibel' or 'Marco Island' or other 'sanitized' nirvana. Sanibel and Marco are great places but they are not in the same category as the Keys. There a few unique places in this World and the Keys are in that category still. I enjoy the Keys for several short visits a year. To be critical of how they live seems a little bit intrusive. They are what they are, enjoy what you can and stay away from the things/places you don't.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 16:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
Makes me sad to see neglected boats that deserve a little more TLC.
Unfortunately, it does not take a whole lot of neglect before the required TLC exceeds the value of the cleaned up boat. Even if they were giving a lot of those boats away for free--people with boat experience would be running the other way from most of them. But I agree; the number of neglected boats in many (most?) marinas is really sad. People go on paying slip fees for years and years while their unused boats get more and more decrepit. I guess by the time they realize they really don't need a boat they've gotten behind on the maintenance and figure they will wait to sell until they get caught up. And they never do get caught up.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:19   #35

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

There were a lot of junk boats in Key West... a few here in Marathon... not many. However, this law will do nothing about them that can't already be done.

This law is all about NIMBY.

The only revenge we will get is that suburban Naples will eventually be littered with oil rigs, once the price of oil goes back up or the next president authorizes exporting oil.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 11:51   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
We were just in the keys, we go regularly but man there seem to be a massive amount of junk sail boats up and down the keys on this trip. We pulled over to see anchor resort , there was a huge ship just sitting on the bottom call queen Ann's revenge and at least 5 boats with no masts and lot of junk. I talked to the bartender and he said he could not wait till the new law is passed in fl and they can remove all those boats. The hole bay looked like a junk pit. And this was in every place we stopped.

You don't have to go to the Keys to see this. Just downstream of my marina is a fleet of seven derelict boats. As of yesterday, five were floating and two were stuck in the marsh. One of the floating ones (a sailboat with no mast or anchor light) disappeared for a week or so (it floated upstream to a different marsh) but it's back now.

Another (a homemade shed on floats) overturned and drifted downstream but the owner borrowed a boat, brought it to the boat ramp, tied lines between it and a truck, righted it and put it back where it was. This guy comes to the marina every few weeks and steals water.

Anchoring is one thing (I do it, of course), but storing your junk on public property (the water) until it breaks apart and becomes a hazard is another.
Old 16-03-2015, 12:13   #37

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Dont like how the keys look or smell, Great, dont come here... enjoy pretending to ignore the homeless living on public land in whatever city looks or smells better than Key west,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:24   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sad thing is this law will pass, because many will believe it is what is needed to clean up the mess.

Then a year after it passes, there will be just as many junk boats, just they won't be within 200' of any developed land.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:30   #39

Unfortunately you're view is few and this was about boats that are left In the water to rot away or look like the pics above. Key west just happens to be where we were this week and as I said seemed worse this time. I have friends that live in key west and we all love the island flavor but don't like people trashing there tiny bit of paradise any more than any one else living in there city or town. And if your sugesting it's a homeless issue well that's a hole different problem. if the guys and girls sitting on the docks in the morning seem to be able to keep there boats in decent shape and they're not new, even they seem irrated at the people that let there boats turn to junk. Done see why some would be ok with that except they must not be you're neighboor or you own one of the issues.

Old 16-03-2015, 12:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sad thing is this law will pass, because many will believe it is what is needed to clean up the mess.

Then a year after it passes, there will be just as many junk boats, just they won't be within 200' of any developed land.

The problem is a lack of enforcement of existing laws, funding, or perhaps a definition that works for "derelict".

The current anchoring provisions may pass, mostly because someone wants more value added to their property.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
The problem is a lack of enforcement of existing laws, funding, or perhaps a definition that works for "derelict".

The current anchoring provisions may pass, mostly because someone wants more value added to their property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Exactly. The only difference is that there won't be any boats, nice, or derelict, within sight of anybody with any political pull.

This would have to be your first political rodeo to think that the reason behind this legislation is derelict boats.

And, they could get rid of the derelict boats now, with existing laws. But, as we all know, that's a smokescreen for the real problem that they can't admit to without being laughed at. Which is boats spoiling the view they think they bought and own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Unfortunately you're view is few and this was about boats that are left In the water to rot away or look like the pics above. Key west just happens to be where we were this week and as I said seemed worse this time. I have friends that live in key west and we all love the island flavor but don't like people trashing there tiny bit of paradise any more than any one else living in there city or town. And if your sugesting it's a homeless issue well that's a hole different problem. if the guys and girls sitting on the docks in the morning seem to be able to keep there boats in decent shape and they're not new, even they seem irrated at the people that let there boats turn to junk. Done see why some would be ok with that except they must not be you're neighboor or you own one of the issues.

Well, it is a homeless problem for the most part (especially if you classify all liveaboards as homeless which I'm sure the condo commandos do). But, wealthy landowners know that complaining about homeless people is going to expose them for what they really are. These people are ruthless, not stupid.

Don't you even wonder why, if derelict boats are the problem, that they didn't just make it easier to seize and tow away derelict boats in this new legislation? The authorities don't seem to have any problem doing that with derelict boats in the state I live in and they didn't pass any laws against anchoring. How naive can someone be? Or is your job real estate broker and you just don't want to admit it?
Old 16-03-2015, 13:20   #42

no not a realtor, but there in lies the problem there are more wealthy out there than us living aboard and there using the junk to sell this to those that don't really care but can see there point, the way there selling it and theres not enough our there on our side to sell it correctly, So the pass it by making the majority believe it will clean this up when all it will do is move us out and leave the junk. The state wont move it but they know eventual it will sink or wash away. Because we didn't control our own we are going to lose and they will win. All there doing is going up to the decision makers and saying would you be ok I'd park a pos rv in front of your house and left it. Vote done.

Old 16-03-2015, 13:35   #43

Derelicts issue aside is it a cultural divide working here? I just can't imagine a New England waterfront home owner complaining too much about a few sailboats in front of his house. That's what sells these houses to begin with. In SE MA in the Elizabeth Islands, still privately owned by the Forbes family, anchoring in front of their mansions is actually encouraged to keep the owners' water views authentically New England-like.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 13:35   #44

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
............ which I'm sure the condo commandos do). ........
The fact that you choose to use that term takes away any credibility your post might otherwise have.
Old 16-03-2015, 13:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The fact that you choose to use that term takes away any credibility your post might otherwise have.
Quite the opposite actually. Those who are afraid to tell it like it is (or at least like they themselves see it) lose all credibility.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote