Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 23:46   #136

Re: What a dump marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Does your 49% statistic include the military, LE, local, state and Fed gov't bureaucrats, employees of local, state and Fed gov'ts' subcontractors and vendors? Because with all of the above included it's most likely 90% these days, making your picking and choosing which recipients of gov't largess to criticize quite amusing.

Sure. If you are willing to ignore a minor little detail like one group actually WORKS for a paycheck, and the other group is literally taking a handout at taxpayer expense.

But let's not quibble over minor details.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 00:02   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The military is doing alright now, except for the poor sods who are getting shafted after they get out: horrible health carer, hypocrisy by the politicians who send them to serve and then ignore them when they return, all the while shouting "Honor our Heroes," and making their families use food stamps and then trimming the food stamp budget!

We're getting altogether too close to "arm ourselves..." and the education system is a wreck. They stop arts, but even more important they stopped civics, both governmental and personal.

Many folks I know of have kids who have graduated college and HAVE no marketable skills, from courses/majors that would have had jobs a decade ago.

And we think derelict boats are a problem?

Where do we think the people ON those boats came from?
Liberal arts colleges, obviously. But who else are they going to blame for deciding to get a PhD in comparative literature? Seriously? Yes, him and 500,000 other cabbies in the Bronx.

Ever wonder why auto mechanics and boat engine mechanics charge so much? To me it appears to be payback for having dropped out of high school or college, going to a trade school and getting the last laugh at everyone who used to look down on them by charging $100/hr for labor and marking the parts up 30%. Nothing spells revenge like sending your 2 rugrats to Harvard at the expense of people who snubbed you.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 01:38   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Sure. If you are willing to ignore a minor little detail like one group actually WORKS for a paycheck, and the other group is literally taking a handout at taxpayer expense.

But let's not quibble over minor details.
No matter how you put it a gov't check is still a gov't check. What I mean by that and what you're conveniently skirting over is that the dependence on the gov't for one's source of income had become the norm rather than the exception. And as a result we have fewer people truly questioning what our gov't is doing simply because doing so would upset their own financial applecart. And if you do not see a direct correlation between much lower levels of general public's questioning of gov't motives, goals and methods and that same public's reliance on gov't checks (whether earned or not) too bad.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 04:43   #139

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
No matter how you put it a gov't check is still a gov't check. What I mean by that and what you're conveniently skirting over is that the dependence on the gov't for one's source of income had become the norm rather than the exception. And as a result we have fewer people truly questioning what our gov't is doing simply because doing so would upset their own financial applecart. And if you do not see a direct correlation between much lower levels of general public's questioning of gov't motives, goals and methods and that same public's reliance on gov't checks (whether earned or not) too bad.
I think you are very determined to ignore a huge distinction in order to lump all those who receive a government check into one big group. Why you want to do that, I don't know? I do think you make a good point that many of those who are receiving a government check for doing nothing certainly don't want to question anything government does for fear of rocking the boat. After all, they know they have done nothing to earn what they get so any change is bound to be bad from their perspective. But then we have all those who HAVE earned their government check by actually working for 20+ years or by paying hundreds of thousands of dollars into social security over their lifetimes or by suffering a legitimate, serious disability, and these people, in stark contrast with those who are collecting a government check for nothing, are VERY concerned about what the government does and why. They know they have EARNED their benefits and are concerned that if similar benefits are given out to millions who haven't earned them, eventually the money will run out and everyone's benefits will be cut, including their EARNED benefits. Two distinctly different groups.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 04:49   #140

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
No matter how you put it a gov't check is still a gov't check. ................
Some people work hard for that check, some just sit on their ass and wait for it. Big difference.

The work has to be done, would you privatize it? What's the difference?
Old 31-03-2015, 05:21   #141

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Some people work hard for that check, some just sit on their ass and wait for it. Big difference.

Privitization allows competition.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 06:26   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Privitization allows competition.
But you have to hire people to supervise the contractors. And you lose a level of control. My boss used to hand me a ticket and say "go take care of this first thing this morning". You can't do that with a contractor. And remember, the contractor has to make a profit,

You plan on privatizing the armed forces? The police and fire departments? Building inspectors? Tax collectors?
Old 31-03-2015, 06:48   #143

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Marc,

Where exactly are you talking about in STA? Just south of the bridge? You know they pay $5 a pumpout right?

Unless someone can point out to me an area where long term anchorages are being flooded by sewage I'm not buying it. If you know where that is, please call the CG, they will inspect and do something about it.

I think you should look towards DisneyWorld for pumping tons of waste in the local system and where it ends up:

Now Endangered, Florida's Silver Springs Once Lured Tourists : NPR

or maybe cruise ships Florida loves so much:

EPA Delays Action as Ship Sewage Flows into U.S. Waters | Earthjustice

or maybe the waste from your waterfront homes:

Sources of Water Pollution
The best post in this thread. Too many boaters have drunk the Kool-Aid. Human waste is no more pollution that waste from birds or any other type of animal unless it's concentrated in mass amounts. Waste from a few sailboats would have no measureable effect. Fertilizer & pesticide run off are much bigger threats to the water but it's a lot easier to regulate boaters, especially when they're dumb enough to believe it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 06:59   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The best post in this thread. Too many boaters have drunk the Kool-Aid. Human waste is no more pollution that waste from birds or any other type of animal unless it's concentrated in mass amounts. Waste from a few sailboats would have no measureable effect. Fertilizer & pesticide run off are much bigger threats to the water but it's a lot easier to regulate boaters, especially when they're dumb enough to believe it.
Old 31-03-2015, 07:11   #145

Quote:

I will argue with that. Only some work has to be done. Most other is just an overreach by the gov't which started about 100 years ago and has been growing at fast pace ever since. There is no need for the gov't in Washington DC to tell a middle school in Okie Fenokie what to teach their kids. Just as there is no need for the gov't to control private property by calling occasional springtime puddles a "wetland". Nor is there a need for the gov't to spend ANY taxpayers money for builidng bridges and roads in far away foreign places until EVERY bridge and road is fixed right here in US. Etc, etc.

It's funny how the pro-gov't types are quick to defend something that should not be within a perview of the gov't yet the very few things for which the gov't should be responsible - roads, bridges, etc and which are falling apart and are in dire need of fixing and which the gov't utterly fails at, these same people seem oblivious to that.

It's the same with licensing requirements for boaters. Most channels haven't been dredged since the Carter administration yet we want the gov't to have more involvement in deciding who get to go boating?
Old 31-03-2015, 07:14   #146

This thread is about marinas. If you have an issue with the government, why not start an original thread on it?
Old 31-03-2015, 07:29   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
IMHO, you are absolutely right here. With someone anchored for an extended period of time, how do they get rid of the sewage i the holding tank(s)? Where's that pump out vessel? Not there so the poop is hitting the water, literally, and that stinks.

In the long run, debating the merits of something like this is a healthy mental exercise. Getting off the sofa and casting a vote for politicians who are open to listening to your thoughts is the way to go. Laws are laws until people work to change them.

I live in TX, but I own property in St Augustine just off the intracoastal and have fired off letters and emails (yes even snail mail) to everyone the that I could hoping that just one more voice might, MIGHT, make someone look at it again. It may well not, but I tried. Everyone should try even if you aren't a property owner - you could well be someone who brings your $$ to the state via vacations, cruising, etc.
You maybe should write a letter to the sewage people in St Augustine. They just dumped 61,000 gallons of raw, untreated sewage, into the San Sabastion river. Power outage leads to 60,750-gallon raw sewage spill in San Sebastian River | StAugustine.com
Even if every boat that came thru town dumped their sewage into the iver at 60 gallons each, that would be 1000 boats. According to the FDEP sewage levels were below the threshold to take action. 61,000 gallons dumped in one day.... what do you believe the fleet of boats south of the bridge are doing to hurt the ecology?
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 07:34   #148

Quote:
This thread is about marinas. If you have an issue with the government, why not start an original thread on it?
Since it is the gov't (state and local) which wants to throw some people out of the marinas or anchorages I believe it is a very related issue. If this was a thread about which size bolt to use for a winch installation I'd agree with you.

And no I don't have the issue with the gov't in general only with some aspects of it.
Old 31-03-2015, 09:40   #149

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
But you have to hire people to supervise the contractors. And you lose a level of control. My boss used to hand me a ticket and say "go take care of this first thing this morning". You can't do that with a contractor. And remember, the contractor has to make a profit,

You plan on privatizing the armed forces? The police and fire departments? Building inspectors? Tax collectors?
Eliminate all but the Navy. Police fire and BI will exist privately if necessary.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:56   #150
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

like a boat that has broken free this thread has really drifted