Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 19:54   #16

Boat: Oyster 43 - 2 mast ketch
Whale is well ?
Old 20-07-2010, 20:01   #17

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Holy Mackerel! What a photo op! I can't even get the birds around here to cooperate for a good shot!
Old 20-07-2010, 20:31   #18

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Whales jumping on boats are improbable, but are a worry when travelling in an area where the whales are migrating. When we sailed up the great barrier reef, we saw lots of humpbacks breaching all around our yacht. On two or three occasions, we saw them swim right up to the stern and then dive under the yacht. It always made me uncomfortable.

When we were in the Med, there was a mom and baby whale frolicking off to starboard and we motored over to watch them, approaching within about 10 feet. No problem. Then we noticed the male whale about 100 meters away turning in our direction and heading straight for Exit Only. That was a bit of a worry. He came up beside our yacht and surfaced under the bridgedeck making sqeaking and squealing noises echoing between the hulls. That was also a worry. After he finished checking us out, he swam away without doing anything to our catamaran. That was a relief.

http://maxingout.com/Whales.wmv

This is a bit of a hokey video, but it gives you the idea.

They may have been pilot whales, but I don't know much about whales, so I am not sure what they were.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 21:35   #19

Boat: '92' 2006' Custom build oak/teak 25mt loa ketch - NOVA
In 2007 or 2008 a rare adult white sperm whale took offence at a 30 - 35ft GRP bare boat charter sloop out of Cairns on the Grest Barrier Reef and threw itself on the vessel. Simular result to earlier posting, stauntions, mast, rigging all cactus, the French couple slightly injured were'nt at all impressed with Australia idea of sea food delivery, managed to get back to port and very soon after France. Probably keen caravaners now.
The whale was filmed later same day by AirSea rescue in the area leaking blood and promptly fined by Australian authorities for reef polution. First bit is true anyway, second bit who knows, Aussie watchdogs are pedantic
watchkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 23:22   #20

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
D**n punk rockers!
Old 21-07-2010, 03:34   #21

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Amazing photo!

Whale of a story I can envision the 'federal investigation' and 'new regulations' that would take place if it happened here....Knowing the recent history, they'll probably outlaw sailing near whales as a precautionary measure anyways

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 06:42   #22

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
If you look closely at the first photo, the whale is out of the water higher than the boom. The whale's shadow is cast on the boat. Yet, the helmsman is calmly looking straight ahead. There's not even a hint of surprise in his stance. He's not startled at all. The article says "There was hardly any wind, so we couldn't get out of the way," said Werner. The photo shows a full headsail and a flying flag.

While I can believe this actually happened, in my opinion this photo is a hoax. The before and after pictures were real. The whale was added later somewhere in between.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:00   #23

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Right whale in the wrong place

I would be inclined to suspect photoshop if the same thing hadn't happened here in Santa Barbara a few years back involving a Grey whale and a small powerboat. All survived but for weeks afterward you could see the boat in the marina with a stove in cabin top festooned with bits of whale skin.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:06   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh, not sayin the event didn't happen, just that that is not a photo of the event.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:26   #25

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
It did happen, the boat is parked in the harbour. My understanding was that the photo was taken from a whale watching tourist boat as there had been a lot of whale activity in the area just before the whale landed on the boat. Maybe the skipper had slow reactions.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 08:46   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
Whale of a story I can envision the 'federal investigation' and 'new regulations' that would take place if it happened here....Knowing the recent history, they'll probably outlaw sailing near whales as a precautionary measure anyways
It already exists in the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 09:38   #27

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
40-ton whale lands on sailboat

Wow. Whale of a tale! 40-ton mammal lands on yacht - World news - Africa - msnbc.com

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 09:44   #28

It did happen, and according to statements from the crew, they "harassed" the whale, causing the territorial animal to do what comes naturally.

(from Mercury )
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 09:49   #29

Boat: Barens Seatrader 32
Those so called reports also said that the yacht (a 32 foot steel sloop) was "speeding" towards the whale.... Speeding? Yeah sure. I think it's more likely the whalewatching operators in their motorboats were harrassing the whales, IF that's what happened.
Besides, I'm more likely to believe the expert views of a marine biologist, than a tourboat operator or a marine activist....
Fezela 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 12:34   #30
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post

Check your chart notes next time in Cape Cod Bay. Of course they can say not closer than 500 feet, but if the whale doesn't understand this what difference does it make!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote