Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 04:13   #1

Boat: Meridian, 391, 41', Barbie Girl
Send a message via AIM to Barbie Send a message via MSN to Barbie Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie
We've lost our prop while under sail and need a FAST replacement. Any HELP? PLEASE?

Here is something that has been a bit of a challenge... we are out on charter right now, it ends today at noon, and 3 days ago we lost the prop on our single engine trimaran sometime while we were sailing... we don't know how it happened, because it was there when we left the mooring field and not then when we were approaching the next one at the end of our sailing day! So now we have zero engine controlling ability. So we have to sail up to the mooring ball and away from it no matter how crowded the mooring field is with other boats or how close to rocks and such and no matter what direction the wind is blowing from. And there is very often no room for mistakes because we have no brakes so we get just one chance to get it right. So far so good and if you're watching us on the satellite you can see that we've been in some super tight little places... whew.....

The map only shows the area but does not show the shallow areas with coral reefs near the surface and rocks sticking above the water, so just know tha the areas we're in are much shallower than they appear. Now if we can just make it safely back to the dock today by 12 noon then our guests will make their flight home and we will be the local sailing heroes!
The wind this morning seemed to be coming in a totally wrong direction for us to get out of our current mooring ball location so I took the dinghy out as soon as the sun came up so I could get a better feel for things to see if these surrounding mountains aren't playing more wind tricks on me, (which they do quite often).

Thankfully when I got out to sea on the dinghy out from behind the mountain range the winds were from the favorable direction for what we needed, so we pulled the boat by dinghy out far enough to catch winds from the right direction and we are now sailing back home to port in St Thomas. Our back up plan to put them on a shuttle boat from St Johns if the wind didn't cooperate wasn't needed, but once we decided to take the wind home... then we're pretty much committed to having to do that so we really had to get this decision right.

And that's how we're spending Christmas eve! LOL

Now here is the $64,000 question... Does anyone know where we can get a 26" 3-blade "classic" Max-Prop prop with 17.8" pitch left-hand counter rotating prop for a 2" shaft? The the prop is called Max-Prop by PYI out of Washington State 425-355-3669 which has moving swiveling blades, (which we don't really like) but we don't even care about THAT specific prop at this point right now... all we care about is getting a prop that will fit our shaft and work well enough for the boat to move us in and out of mooring fields.

Our engine is a Perkins 225 hp with 2" shaft.

And even if someone can find us a right hand prop then we'll just put the engine in reverse to go forward...

We have another charter that starts on the day after Christmas and don't want to have to sail every day in and out of our moorings... we've been lucky so far but can't press out luck.

Have a very merry Christmas! and thanks for any help with a prop that anyone can provide! Wish us luck!
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 04:36   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: We've lost our prop while under sail and need a FAST replacement. Any HELP? PLEA

That's a challenge! - just kicking a (barmy?!) idea out there, but what about "renting" a prop off another (broke?!) Cruiser - ideally someone on the hard, but afloat not impossible........could even be that someone upgraded to a folding prop, and kept the original onboard "just in case".

I have no idea what shaft sizes they have on big outboards (150 /200hp+) but that might be another source for a temporary loaner - even if a chewed up one (from a local dealer?).

Failing all that, how about making a large sweep?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:13   #3

Re: We've lost our prop while under sail and need a FAST replacement. Any HELP? PLEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
That's a challenge! - just kicking a (barmy?!) idea out there, but what about "renting" a prop off another (broke?!) Cruiser - ideally someone on the hard, but afloat not impossible........could even be that someone upgraded to a folding prop, and kept the original onboard "just in case".

I have no idea what shaft sizes they have on big outboards (150 /200hp+) but that might be another source for a temporary loaner - even if a chewed up one (from a local dealer?).

Failing all that, how about making a large sweep?
The outboard props are splined so that is not an option
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:15   #4

Have you dove on the prop to to actually see that it is gone?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:29   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I think I have one ithat will work n Palm Beach- can you pick it up & pay a deposit ?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:45   #6
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Here is a really good list of consignment stores, several in Florida. Bacons Sails in Maryland shows 2 Max Props in stock but no other info as to size. I would try calling all the Florida shops first and if they don't have it be sure to ask if they know where you might find one. Good Old Boat - Consignment Stores
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:40   #7

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

Sailing it Old School.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 07:35   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Another option, if you can't find a prop, and as stated before, make sure your old prop is indeed gone, is find a outboard bracket that you can mount on the transom and use your dinghy motor to push you around until you can get a prop. I would bet that finding a transom mount for your outboard wouldn't be that hard to find and if you can't find one, wouldn't be that difficult to make if your handy at all.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:12   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

There is a consignment shop in CA called Blue Pelican Marine. They have quite an inventory of used props. Reasonable prices. Google them. The list is online.

Are you the tri called Freedom?

Mike
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:18   #10

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

"Sailing it Old School...."

I think the Meridian 391 is a powerboat. She'll have to fly a whole lotta flannel shirts on a boat hook ....
Old 24-12-2012, 09:50   #11

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Since it's after noon now there's not much you can do before Xmas. Bruce at Independent Boatyard or the guys at Haulover Marine are your best options for a prop found locally. Good luck.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Another option, if you can't find a prop, and as stated before, make sure your old prop is indeed gone, is find a outboard bracket that you can mount on the transom and use your dinghy motor to push you around until you can get a prop. I would bet that finding a transom mount for your outboard wouldn't be that hard to find and if you can't find one, wouldn't be that difficult to make if your handy at all.

Something about this just seems fishy. She talks about sailing, but is this a powerboat? (Meriadian/Bayliner 391) She/they appear to be taking charter guests, but call the Charts "maps", dont appear to be aware of how to move the boat using the dingy tied along side, the prop just "fell off" (does the captain ever check this stuff?).... etc.... hmmm.....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:32   #13

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

It appears they have a second boat, a sailing trimaran in addition to the Meridian.

Regarding the replacement of the 26-in Maxprop classic, you will find that you can change the rotational direction and adjust the pitch yourself, once you receive the replacement.

http://www.pyiinc.com/images/pdf/max...de_classic.pdf
Old 24-12-2012, 10:36   #14

Yeah, I missed the Tri comment. That tri must be huge! 225 HP?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:10   #15

Boat: Meridian, 391, 41', Barbie Girl
Send a message via AIM to Barbie Send a message via MSN to Barbie Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie

Thanks for the quick replies. We are now safely back on our home port mooring back in St Thomas. Nothing "fishy" here Cheechako... Yes we have a Meridian 391 power boat and a newly acquired 63' trimaran sailboat that we take out on weekly sailing charters. The sailboat is the one that lost it's prop... ugh.... and it has a 33' beam so a side tie tow is not an option even with our 16' tender with 60 hp outboard.
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, sail