Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-09-2010, 19:10   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
I am 100% for G-tex stuff. I used it for climbing, sailing and anything else that requires being dry and warm while it is hell outside.

Under, we will use very (so I will guess) hi-tec wear - my fave is the climbing stuff from MASER, but my first mate uses Helly Hansen Lifa and she swears by it.

Second layer we will use fleece (Polartec). More than one, if it is cold.

I like to use Windstopper (again G-tex) on top when it is dry and I only need protection from the wind.

b.

Old 27-09-2010, 02:06   #32
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Ok I'm just about ready to buy that Navis gear, the upper spec one. (meh whats $100 when you are talking gear like this, and I want orange). Anyone wanna talk me out of it before I click buy?

I just got a couple of these small water proof torches which are to stay in the pockets on anyones gear when they are on deck at night. Just as a safety precaution should they need to be fished out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3408wt_1145

Old 28-09-2010, 02:05   #33

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Ok I'm just about ready to buy that Navis gear, the upper spec one. (meh whats $100 when you are talking gear like this, and I want orange). Anyone wanna talk me out of it before I click buy?

I just got a couple of these small water proof torches which are to stay in the pockets on anyones gear when they are on deck at night. Just as a safety precaution should they need to be fished out.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Could you please do us all a favour and make sure you post a review of the Navis Gear? If anything like the fake “North Face” jacket I have bought preferably with a follow-up after a bit of wear and tear and a few washes.

Thanks, Shane
Old 28-09-2010, 03:13   #34
cruiser

I just purchased the gear. I will do a review of it. Depends how bad the weather gets but I am probably heading from Adelaide to Brisbane via Tasmania so it would probably get some use.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:43   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am 100% for G-tex stuff. I used it for climbing, sailing and anything else that requires being dry and warm while it is hell outside.

Under, we will use very (so I will guess) hi-tec wear - my fave is the climbing stuff from MASER, but my first mate uses Helly Hansen Lifa and she swears by it.

Second layer we will use fleece (Polartec). More than one, if it is cold.

I like to use Windstopper (again G-tex) on top when it is dry and I only need protection from the wind.

b.
I have always had similar thoughts and most of my breathable shells are real Gortex. The layering principle you describe is essential in outdoor adventure sports. As I might have posted somewhere above, I really like the polar fleece due the fact it dries so fast. Windstopper is anther great Gortex fabric perfect for yachting. I actually use my Windstopper cycling anorak sailing, which is conveniently yellow with reflective stipes. Still, I find wool undergarments efficient, not so much because they dry well (mostly exactly the opposite), but because they keep body odours to a minimum and regulate temperatures better than synthetics.

Nevertheless, I got a real surprise to discover on some Bushwalk Tasmania threads http://tasmania.bushwalk.com/forum/ that a few of the alternate brand names of breathable shells – many cheaper than Gortex – actually performed better. So sometimes a bargain is a bargain? Saying that Gortex do a lot of product research and update their fabric regularly.
Old 14-10-2010, 19:11   #36
cruiser

I just got the NAVIS HG2 wet weather gear. First impressions are it looks as good as any of the expensive gear at the boat shop. It covered my face and body enough that my own dog didn't recognize me. It got scared and ran off when I walked in the room. I think the size L is a bit too small for me. The pants get little tight in the legs when I squat down.

What type of boots and gloves are people waring?
Old 14-10-2010, 21:05   #37

Did you see that this months Cruising Helmsman has a feature on wet weather gear?

That size thing is always a drama when ordering on the net. Other than the possibility of double postage on the pants, it still sounds like you might have gotten a deal?
Old 14-10-2010, 21:19   #38
cruiser

The NAVIS gear is already very well priced but the Ebay seller is MUCH cheaper again than the actual navis website. Postage was only $30. I have no time now to get new pants so I am stuck with them, unfortunately.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: