Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2010, 13:10   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
wetsuit. nekkid. only 2 options for wet weather sailing. nothing else works--i tried a survival jacket, rubber jacket with hoodie built in, goretex waterpruf jacket- london fog foulies jacket--lol-- everything had rivers flowing unchecked down each arm. my feets were sopped and all was a really truly wonderful bath , had it been slightly warmer. i did find that if wearing any kind of sweat clothing--fleece-- will never ever in this life dry. so much for warmth. so keep those dry at all costs--hence nekkid in storms. or wetsuit or drysuit.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:16   #17

Boat: Newport 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Bottom line, there is more than one way to effectively skin a cat and it doesn't take $1000plus to guarantee complete dryness and warmth. Here in the pacific northwest, we live in layers 3/4ths of the year and do real world testing of water resistant/proof products just as a part of daily life due to our unique weather. So you tend to learn what works and what's just marketing...
I agree. Alaska is the Pacific Northwest on steroids. We also do a fair bit of "testing" just in daily life. And commercial fisherman work in far worse conditions than 98% of cruisers face. And they do it for days and weeks on end. Their needs are somewhat different of course, in that they put a very high premium on durability. They mostly use fairly simple gear that of bulletproof construction. However, the point is that there are a lot of options that work.

Also, keep in mind that the 80/20 rule applies for any outdoor clothing. The first 20% of cost gets you about 80% of the benefit. Really high end gear does have some advantages over more mid-price stuff, but those advantages are pretty small, really. A $1000 jacket is definately not 5 times more effective than a $200 jacket!

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't buy the top end stuff. If your budget permits, why not? But for most of us, we can get by quite well with gear that's a lot cheaper and does almost as good a job. If the $1000 jacket won't put too big a dent in your bank account, go for it. As for me, I have other more pressing needs for the extra $800.

Old 25-09-2010, 14:53   #18
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ski Clothes v. g-strings...

I keep a complete set of ski-wear in Kuwait, for the three months of winter when temperatures plummet to near freezing, and the biting chamals (northerly arctic winds) slice through the gulf. I swear by it. Keeps my bum warm and dry.

I have a dry-top, but it's a pain in the arse to get on, largely because of all the seals. I gave my brand new dry pants away for the same reason, although I have to admit they kept my bum dry!

When the **** truly hits the fan, for some reason it always seems to be on the off watch. And then hubby yells for me with a tone to come and take the helm (regardless of who else is crewing - he trusts me, bless!) - so I shoot up in my underpants. The advantage is, they dry quick (there's not much of them). Disadvantage - full on view of goosebumps!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 16:37   #19

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Yes. Normal goretex mountaineering/ski jackets that provide ample sealing will definitely be sufficient 95% of the time.

For that other 5% of the time, an actual dry top/suit does a better job than any "jacket" could ever hope to imo. ..
Nice choices; a real pity the thread is not just simply called ‘Wet Weather Gear” or the likes.

One thing I have personally found about those breathable jackets is if you can get one with the zips under the arms they are worth the extra cash. It really saves having to take it off every time the sun comes out and will make the jacket a lot more usable in the tropics. The other thing I find is no matter how perfect the jacket you will still get water dribbling down your chin and chest. This is why in cold weather it is just as important to have a good fast drying and heat retaining polar fleece style under jacket/jumper and/or thermals.

With the dry/top suit option I have always thought the cheap way out for me would simply be to wear my surfing wetsuit on deck. Most now are partially smooth skinned to minimise heat loss from the wind and a diver’s hood would be a bonus? Still, the suit you suggested can also double as a wetsuit?

At any rate, when using gear not specifically designed for yachting without reflective stripes etc in heavy weather I would be making sure I was pocketing other equipment such as a mini strobe light if not a personal epirb?
Old 25-09-2010, 16:58   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Thanks for all the replies. Regarding the kayak jacket. Will this be long enough to make a seal over my normal raincoat pants? How do protect your head and is it difficult to put on?

I inspected the jacket and offered $150 but only his wife was there and could not accept. It looked in good condition besides in the wrist cuffs where the rubber coating of the foam was flaking off so I dint think it would be worth 220.
Old 25-09-2010, 17:45   #21
cruiser

What do you think of this? Would be under $300 shipped and has trousers included.

NAVIS HG2 OFFSHORE RACE SAILING JACKET W/ TROUSERS - eBay (item 130388260047 end time Sep-30-10 02:44:42 PDT)
Old 25-09-2010, 19:17   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Musto hpx closely followed by musto mpx.

Why?

Because it works as advertised.

b.
Old 25-09-2010, 19:58   #23

Boat: PETERSON 44
looks good. When its real nasty the water will find its way in so its important to look at whats underneath all that cool gear. wearing a tensioned kayak bib is really uncomfortable. Maybe you would be okay but wear one for a bit and see if thats a reality. You have rubber squeezing against your neck it chafes and it feals like something is around your neck.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:38   #24

Why not even a cheaper one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NAVIS-PERFORMANCE-BREATYHABLE-OFFSHORE-SAILING-JACKET-R-/140355011632?pt=Men_s_Clothes&var=&hash=item66720e a198

The seller does not look at dodgy as the one I bought the “fake” North Face” jacket from that fell apart after one wash. At least if you trace these guys back to head office it looks like they are just out to make their own products, which could be half decent value considering not much isn’t made in China these days? See http://www.tradevv.com/chinasuppliers/hngltd

Worst case scenario if you spend a bit less cash you won’t feel as bad if you do have to inform us of any problems?
Old 26-09-2010, 01:17   #25
cruiser

Shane I cant see why the one you linked is so much cheaper given they are from the same manufacturer. Apparently the one I linked is the top of the range for Navis but I cant see much difference in those 2 products? And yes they do seem like a legit company rather than cheap fakes

http://www.navismarine.co.uk

I sent Navis an email asking the difference between the HG1 and HG2 lines (it appears the one you linked is HG1). If I went to a local store and purchased a Helly Hansen or Burke offshore jacket and trousers it would cost me like $700 and that is not the best ones either! Anyhow if I end up with it, and it seems the best bet so far, I will be sure to give some reviews.

Mark, as for the fashion contest I will probably go orange even though it isn't so stylish. I just need to ask myself what colour I would want to be waring if someone has to look for me when I am floating around in the ocean given the worst case scenario, however unlikely that might be.
Old 26-09-2010, 02:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Mark, as for the fashion contest I will probably go orange even though it isn't so stylish.
Maybe it is just the older model or missing a minor feature?

Then as far as colours are concerned I really cannot see anything wrong with orange! In fact, of late I have bought a couple of orange vests for boating. The rationale behind the purchases is that the orange Ronstan floats I use spearfishing have always stood out like the proverbial “dogs balls” at sea. Red is probably the next best option though being darker might not stand out as much in squalid conditions? Then yellow could be mistaken as glare?
Old 26-09-2010, 02:30   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I inspected the jacket and offered $150 but only his wife was there and could not accept. It looked in good condition besides in the wrist cuffs where the rubber coating of the foam was flaking off so I dint think it would be worth 220.
will be losing (have lost) the elastication in the cuffs. as I said, not a fully waterproof wrist seal when new, but every little does help IMO that does rather **** up what may be an otherwise nice coat, the sort of thing if it was yours you would probably have no problem living with - but IMO no reason to spend $200 having to.

offer him $50 in many respects you are doing him a favour as coat not really worth selling. his problem though
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 16:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I am currently using Helly Hansen Offshore wet weather gear. I think it is good quality, well made and well designed. The current recommended retail on HH Ocean wet weather jacket is probably about $1000 (fortunately, my wonderful Missus got asked to steer a boat in a regatta where there was some HH sponsorship for the crew, heh).
Old 26-09-2010, 17:08   #29

I was really lucky to walk into a deserted WestMarine last year in Chicago and discover that foul weather gear was all on sale. This was in the FALL too. Amazing.

The Girl Friend grabbed a Gil Key West jacket in Black and Blue for half price. Was an absolute steal and she swears by that jacket. She claims it's a perfect balance between staying warm but not feeling too "Stuffy".

Make sure to call around and ask when their next sale is.

I personally love Musto gear with a mix of Dale of Norway merino sweaters. Expensive is an understatement but honestly, being crippled by cold is my Achilles heel. Must be poor circulation because my hands are the first to go.

A Dale of Norway sweater has been my "go to" for skiing for many years and somehow despite the abuse still keeps the water away. They make two differnt kinds of sweaters, traditional and "sporty". My suggestion is just to avoid the traditional ones and go for their more simpler Merino sweaters. You can find them online sometimes for under $100.

I got my Musto BR Offshore Jacket for around $300 off ebay. Was worth every penny.

Last suggestion would be to check out the Sail Expos. In Chicago there were some great deals at last years Strictly Sail, but West Marine's sale got to us first.
Old 26-09-2010, 17:22   #30
cruiser

Thanks guys.

I got a reply from Navis describing the difference between the dearer and cheaper gear they have.

Quote:
Dear Dennis,
Thanks very much for your message,
First of all, both HG1 and HG2 have internal wrist collars to keep water out.
However, there are a few difference from HG2 to HG1.
(1) difference cutting and design, HG2 is designed for racing, therefore the slim cutting makes HG2 looks much better when you try it on.
(2) HG2 trousers has higher protection for your chess against the water, and it has two hand-warm pockets with water-resistant zips.
(3) HG2 has better accessaries, like 500D Cordura Reinforcement on ham and trousers, YKK water-resistant zips and more adjusters on high-vis offshore hood.
(4) Finally, they have different prices too.
If you have tried Helly Hansen and Burke, Large size should be alright for you.
Anyway, it is up to you to make your choice.
Wish you happy sailing
Regards,
Gene

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: