Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 01:50   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Westsail 32 Owners

Thought I would ask this question on here, researching in other areas, the WS32 I'm looking at has a Monitor Wind Vane, I was thinking, if I buy this boat, about adding an auto pilot, do you think it would be a good addition, even though it has the vane, if the answer is yes, which auto pilot would you recommend, of course anyone that knows about this, I would certainly like to hear from you also, the purpose for the boat is "Long Distance" Thanks
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:55   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Westsail 32 Owners

http://www.selfsteer.com/products/monitor/autoPilot.php

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-07-2016, 04:02   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I know I've seen people on different boats with an auto pilot that they attach to the wind vane itself since the vane is setup to steer, just setting up the autopilot to it instead of the fin and it usually works out.

If not attached to the wind vane, then attached to the tiller without the vane being setup. Either way, I think it would still be the same kind, one made for a tiller.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
http://www.selfsteer.com/products/monitor/autoPilot.php

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks, Good link
Old 09-07-2016, 12:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You can use a tiller pilot on a Westsail but would limit use to powering. Not a big thing as the vane is for sailing and should steer the boat if it will sail. Someone used a tiller pilot as their self steering from the Caribbean to halfway to Tahiti under sail and power before it gave out. They sent it to the manufacturer for repair and the tech's were totally amazed that it had lasted anywhere near that long.

On some designs, you can attach a tiller pilot to the vane to get a very low amperage draw compass steering system. Would not recommend using a Monitor, especially, to steer the boat under power, however. The prop on a Westsail is quite close to the vanes rudder and there is considerable turbulence that causes a pendulum servo rudder to dance about. Might work on an Aries or other aluminum vane but the constant flexing caused by the prop turbulence could cause the Monitor's stainless steel to work harden and break. Know that Monitor recommends not using their vane under power.

Did many thousands of miles with an Aries which the Monitor pretty much copied and it worked a treat. If there was enough wind to move the boat, the vane would steer. Didn't have an autopilot and barely missed it. The only time we really could have used it was getting through the doldrums when we had to motor for over 24 hours.

We built #163, power away kit, lived aboard and sailed her to Tahiti. Subsequent owners took her twice to SoPac, NZ, and Australia. She's now doing occasional dinner cruisers in Kona.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 19:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You can use a tiller pilot on a Westsail but would limit use to powering. Not a big thing as the vane is for sailing and should steer the boat if it will sail. Someone used a tiller pilot as their self steering from the Caribbean to halfway to Tahiti under sail and power before it gave out. They sent it to the manufacturer for repair and the tech's were totally amazed that it had lasted anywhere near that long.

On some designs, you can attach a tiller pilot to the vane to get a very low amperage draw compass steering system. Would not recommend using a Monitor, especially, to steer the boat under power, however. The prop on a Westsail is quite close to the vanes rudder and there is considerable turbulence that causes a pendulum servo rudder to dance about. Might work on an Aries or other aluminum vane but the constant flexing caused by the prop turbulence could cause the Monitor's stainless steel to work harden and break. Know that Monitor recommends not using their vane under power.

Did many thousands of miles with an Aries which the Monitor pretty much copied and it worked a treat. If there was enough wind to move the boat, the vane would steer. Didn't have an autopilot and barely missed it. The only time we really could have used it was getting through the doldrums when we had to motor for over 24 hours.

We built #163, power away kit, lived aboard and sailed her to Tahiti. Subsequent owners took her twice to SoPac, NZ, and Australia. She's now doing occasional dinner cruisers in Kona.
Thanks, Yeah, I just thought it would be nice to have one available, might finally be able to own a WS32, found one that's cruise ready, with the exception of a few things that a lot of people don't take anyway, made an offer, not a low ball either, we'll see, it's a gem

Tags
sail