Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2010, 17:13   #31

Boat: Hunter 26
Former Asst. Mang

Worked for the Evil Blue Empire for just over two years.
While serving my sentence, the directive was handed down that new hires were to have sales experience; boating experience was not required. The company gave us quotas on WM Visa card sign-ups, extended electronics warranties sold, and was directed what products to sell ("Everyone that walks through the door needs a battery!"). If those goals weren't meant, you were "wrote up".
They lowered the membership discount.
They lowered the employee discount on products.
If you think you're getting near cost pricing because you have a port supply account - think again.
Prices anywhere else are cheaper - and why should you have to do the footwork to find fair price?

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of anyone else.

MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 17:30   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
MAbell is simply wrong, good thing he/she provided the disclaimer. I have the option to use any number of suppliers in my business, working on boats. My best long deals come from West Marine/Port Supply. They have the product in stock, or can get it before any of my other suppliers, for less money. It's true that the folks who work there aren't paid well, which is surprising given the skill levels many of them have, Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's the work environment at the particular stores I frequent, but the folks seem motivated, most are knowledgeable, and all are helpful.

And I pay less than I do at other suppliers (did I say that already?).

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 17:32   #33

defender industries and jamestown distributors rock West marine is suffering the economic blues and well they had a good run. Its not convient if they don't have what you are looking for. Seems like more often then not I stop in to grab x but x aint there.

sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: