Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2013, 09:21   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: went to the NE Boat show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
You just be associated with the show in some form.

It was $42 for 2 tickets and parking and it took less than 1.5 hours to see everything. I looked at the seminars when I got there and as I was leaving to see if any were worth going to and at least for me none were (my past experience in ones I've gone to is that the seminars sound better in writing than they in person).

I had a couple of items I wanted to find out about when there but there wasn't vendor to match (seemed less vendors than 2 years ago).

So my free magazine was pretty expensive!
Yes I mentioned I give a seminar at the show. Thats the only link I have with the show. I sell nothing. Just give my seminar for nothing in return, and I still have to pay for parking..for 3 days!

I know..the price is still pretty low for 2 tix and parking. cheapest parking in Boston!! What else can you do in boston for 2 people for 42? $42 usually wont cover parking alone in most areas of boston!

We just happen to try and enjoy the show. We usually go 2-3 days anyway to catch all the seminars we want, even if we saw them before.

We go to all the vendors to get information about sailing destinations for our sailing club. Pick the brains of the vendors of products I want, see whats new. Actually looking at the boats is the last thing on our list.

everyone uses the shows in different ways. If you go only to look at sailboats, its a waste of time. There are really no modern sailboats I would trade my Ohlson 38 for. I go on them so the wife can look at the pretty curtains and dishes!

I happen to think its a good value for a day out. Nothing like the smell of gelcoat in the morning!

We even make the most of the providence show, which had 1 sailboat I think this year. Its a day out looking at boats and boat stuff. I will take a day of that than being at the office any day!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:12   #17

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Went to the NE Boat Show

We go every year, actually we typically will go for two days most years. This year we went on Sunday and spent most of the time on the sailboats and talking to friends. A group of about 14 of us did the stupid picture with Flo from Progressive Insurance. It was goofy but we all have a fun picture now. We talked to the people at Cape Ann Marina and set up our 20 boat flotilla. We plan to go this Saturday as well.

As for the $42, don't know where that comes from. Tim R posted a discount code that got the tickets down to $12 each, parking was $12, so that's only $36 for two adults with parking. You could park elsewhere for less or free, but then you have to walk. Since we went in the middle of the snow storm, we ponied up the $12 for parking.

We buy our boat zincs from Boatzincs.com. So that usually saves us about $10 on shipping, so now your down to $26.

The seminars this past weekend weren't that good, that's why we spent the time looking at the boats and talking to friends. Next week we will spend Saturday going to the following seminars:
  • Coastal Cruising - Using tides and currents to lower costs
  • Planning your first cruise Downeast or how I learned to love the fog
  • Where to start when the engine does not
I usually pick up a good tip or two from the seminars. Plus we are planning to do Maine for our summer cruise so the timing on the Downeast seminar is great for us.

I also plan to spend some time talking to different vendors about electronics, water makers, marine heads and hard bottom inflatables. I am sure I will spend some time talking to my favorite broker, Shep Shove at Eastern Yatchs.

And now I might try to find Paul S. and buy him a beer. I always like putting a face with forum folks if I can.

All in all I think the show is usually worth the price of admission. If this show was in September, I propably wouldn't give up a day of sailing for it. The Newport show is usually much better in terms of more vendors selling stuff and more boats to see.
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:40   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Went to the NE Boat Show

I only go to boat shows anymore if I have to purchase specific gear where I want to compare various manufacturers. Last time I went I wanted non-tailing spinnaker winches. Before that it was folding props.

I find it pretty easy to score comp tickets, but by the time you pay the parking, et cetera, boat-show prices tend not to be as good as they appear.

I don't really look at the boats anymore--no longer in the market. That's a nice place to be.