Originally Posted by theonecalledtom
Lets say you really wanted to get a boat to Newport
by Saturday early am, and it was currently in San Diego
and the weather
was a bit dicey, what would you be thinking right now?
The boat is a bit over 30 foot fin keel
and fairly well equipped. The crew would be a mixture of experience but have a lot of hours between them.
Based on current forecast
, I'd plan to depart San Diego Friday morning. It's 65 miles to Newport from San Diego, you'd be there in 12 hours or so at 5 knots boat speed, weather looks pretty good for Friday.
If you wanted a faster ride leave tonight, you'd be in Newport Thursday mid-day.
If you wanted Mr. Toad's wild ride, leave Thursday afternoon - though that might be no fun and you'd risk some gear
of course I'm not there
I'm in San Francisco
, and the forecast
weather, especially coming out of the south, actually looks quite nice for the whole period - 20-25 knots out of the south is a good time to set the kite and boogie north. I don't know if local harbor conditions would factor into a decision, and it would be nicer to head
out early AM Thursday or Friday and have most of the trip during daylight hours. Thursday night looks like the most unpleasant time to be on the water