Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 07:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau 440
Water Tender 9.4 on davits?

We bought our Catalina 34 back in August 2016 and it came with davits and a water tender 9.4. We haven't used either since we bought the boat and have been sailing locally (Lake Michigan) and of course doing a lot of upgrading.

We are planning to sail to Lake Huron's north channel this next summer for a month and we will need to use the dinghy. With all that we have put into the boat and all we still plan on putting into it a new dinghy is not in the budget. The fittings on this dinghy are not recommended for davit use so I've been wondering what would be a good system to hoist it and secure it to the davits. We have been thinking of some sort of sling but wondering if that would allow us to get it high enough to be able to properly secure it. Also given that the dinghy's hull is pretty flexible I would think that a sling would need to incorporate spreader bars so as not to compress the hull. The out board (a Tohatsu 3.5) will be mounted to the stern rail and not kept on the dinghy while sailing.

I've looked around the web and found a number of people do use this dinghy and many seem to like them, however I haven't been able to find any information on what they are using to hoist them with their davits.

There is so many experienced sailors here I'm betting you all may have an answer.

Thank you in advance
Steelshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, tender, water