Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 10:43   #16

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Water Proofing a Miwaukee Right Angle Drill as a electric winch handel

There is an actual cordless winch handle on the market specific for this, it just happens to cost $750!

WinchRite Cordless Winch Handle
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 10:50   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
There is an actual cordless winch handle on the market specific for this, check out this link!

nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 14:57   #18

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Thank you.....Yes I'm aware of the WinchRite it is a nice idea and possibly a good product but…..

The drawback for me is my boat is 50' with big reachers and main, my concern is I will run out of power at the wrong time with the Winchrite product, I don't want to find myself having to charge the battery mid maneuver. There are a number of very happy reports from users of the Milwaukee v28 (battery changing ability)

Also now the Australia dollar has dropped by 30% so $USD 750 is $AUD 1041 plus exchange rate bank charges plus delivery cost US to Sydney will be over a $USD 140.

I was fortunate enough to find a new Milwaukee drill V28 including shipping cost to Oz for a total of just under AUD 400 on ebay....that is $USD 277.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 10:11   #19

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I have seen some very disappointing reviews of the Winchrite system lately. Best to do some thorough homework before you purchase it. I just got one of the Milwaukee 28v units and am happy with it. It is bulky and not waterproof, even water resistant, at all which is a major drawback. But better that and have one that works.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 14:59   #20

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Thank you.....Yes I'm aware of the WinchRite it is a nice idea and possibly a good product but…..

The drawback for me is my boat is 50' with big reachers and main, my concern is I will run out of power at the wrong time with the Winchrite product, I don't want to find myself having to charge the battery mid maneuver. There are a number of very happy reports from users of the Milwaukee v28 (battery changing ability)

Also now the Australia dollar has dropped by 30% so $USD 750 is $AUD 1041 plus exchange rate bank charges plus delivery cost US to Sydney will be over a $USD 140.

I was fortunate enough to find a new Milwaukee drill V28 including shipping cost to Oz for a total of just under AUD 400 on ebay....that is $USD 277.
That is as good a price as I have seen in the US. About what I paid.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 11:29   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
That is as good a price as I have seen in the US. About what I paid.
The WINCHRIGHT Has indeed had bad reviews. I think the issue has been the winch bit breaking off. It also may not be using a standard battery that can be easily replaced - please check on this. I also think it does not have nearly the same torque as the 28 V Milwaukee. Ours has enough torque and reserve to haul me to the top of the main mast, 80 feet, without trouble. I have deliberately run it without recharge for several day trips to see how long it would perform. We went several days before a recharge. We use ours to tack our 135 genoa and for furling. It is able to grind in the 135 in pretty high wind. For us, the boat is 24 VDC (28 charging). This means we can plug into the boat's DC receptacles directly.

We also bought our Milwaukee on line. I recall Amazon factory reconditioned for 350 with a charger and two batteries.

I wonder if a large enough shrink wrap can be found?

Sleeve found here:
http://www.thecranker.com/the%20ulti...web%20page.htm
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 14:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The WINCHRIGHT Has indeed had bad reviews. I think the issue has been the winch bit breaking off. It also may not be using a standard battery that can be easily replaced - please check on this. I also think it does not have nearly the same torque as the 28 V Milwaukee. Ours has enough torque and reserve to haul me to the top of the main mast, 80 feet, without trouble. I have deliberately run it without recharge for several day trips to see how long it would perform. We went several days before a recharge. We use ours to tack our 135 genoa and for furling. It is able to grind in the 135 in pretty high wind. For us, the boat is 24 VDC (28 charging). This means we can plug into the boat's DC receptacles directly.

We also bought our Milwaukee on line. I recall Amazon factory reconditioned for 350 with a charger and two batteries.

I wonder if a large enough shrink wrap can be found?

Sleeve found here:
http://www.thecranker.com/the%20ulti...web%20page.htm
Thank you...On your Shrink Wrap solution, it maybe a good Idea to wrap it just in heavy weather and running seas. You have a 80' mast that give me confidence that I will have no power issues for my boat. Also On good quality shrink wrap I was told by Lindy from SV Stargaza it was a good way to waterproof your anchor winch. ...

I'm still waiting for my Milwaukee drill with the battery US 110 volt battery charger to arrive from the US possibly I will receive it next weeks mail. Also coming as a separate order from Cranks drill cover. I have had the winch bit now for a number of years just sitting in the tool box in its orginal packaging.

Since Australia runs on 220 V and so does my boats only inverter - I discovered it was far cheaper to purchase a 12v to 110 v 350 watt inverter (postage paid) then buy a Milwaukee 220 v charger plus postage ( I hope it is powerful enough) to charge the batterys on board.

Thanks for sharing your helful and informative experences
Old 25-10-2015, 05:15   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Thank you...On your Shrink Wrap solution, it maybe a good Idea to wrap it just in heavy weather and running seas. You have a 80' mast that give me confidence that I will have no power issues for my boat. Also On good quality shrink wrap I was told by Lindy from SV Stargaza it was a good way to waterproof your anchor winch. ...

I'm still waiting for my Milwaukee drill with the battery US 110 volt battery charger to arrive from the US possibly I will receive it next weeks mail. Also coming as a separate order from Cranks drill cover. I have had the winch bit now for a number of years just sitting in the tool box in its orginal packaging.

Since Australia runs on 220 V and so does my boats only inverter - I discovered it was far cheaper to purchase a 12v to 110 v 350 watt inverter (postage paid) then buy a Milwaukee 220 v charger plus postage ( I hope it is powerful enough) to charge the batterys on board.

Thanks for sharing your helful and informative experences
That's probably your best plan. We also have a small (300 Watt) high efficiency sine wave inverter just for chargers and other small users. We are wired 220 shore power to an isolation transformer whose output is two 110 VAC legs to the boat. On board, we are 24 VDC but there are two large DC-DC solid state converters. 30 VDV for the SSB & 12 VDC for the legacy devices that cannot run on 24.

You might also consider a DC-DC solid state converter if it fits your needs. The over-all efficiency is better than DC-AC-DC as you would expect. Here is one source. DC-DC Converter | Murata Manufacturing Co.
Old 25-10-2015, 05:35   #24

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Pleased to see this thread. I had no idea so many folks were using the big drill. I have been thinking of getting one and making an adapter to use it to on my manual windlass. I would guess it would pull up most of the rode but probably not be sufficient for the dead lift. If it can send someone up the mast, it might work on the slow speed side of my windlass. Any opinions if this idea might work?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:21   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Pleased to see this thread. I had no idea so many folks were using the big drill. I have been thinking of getting one and making an adapter to use it to on my manual windlass. I would guess it would pull up most of the rode but probably not be sufficient for the dead lift. If it can send someone up the mast, it might work on the slow speed side of my windlass. Any opinions if this idea might work?
Be sure - anyone who does this. Milwaukee's right angle gearing is a 2:1 reducer/increaser. You must make sure the part is installed as a reducer or you will not be happy with its performance. Also, If you apply a torque high enough in 'reverse' you could un-screw the chuck from the drill. Fortunately, forward rotation corresponds to the low speed of winches.

There are many other 28 VDC tools from Milwaukee as well. Love the drill & right angle grinder. Use the saber saw & others as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1298.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	111572  
Old 25-10-2015, 06:32   #26

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Be sure - anyone who does this. Milwaukee's right angle gearing is a 2:1 reducer/increaser. You must make sure the part is installed as a reducer or you will not be happy with its performance. Also, If you apply a torque high enough in 'reverse' you could un-screw the chuck from the drill. Fortunately, forward rotation corresponds to the low speed of winches.

There are many other 28 VDC tools from Milwaukee as well. Love the drill & right angle grinder. Use the saber saw & others as well.
Good to know! Is this something that is spec'd when the tool is ordered or a matter of after purchase assembly?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:46   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Good to know! Is this something that is spec'd when the tool is ordered or a matter of after purchase assembly?
No. You can flip the right angle reducer easily. It is marked on the case.
Old 25-10-2015, 08:03   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Cranker I think it's called removes the chuck and the adaptor connects directly, making it lighter and no issue in reverse. You keep the chuck of course so it can still be used as a drill.
I wish someone would make a three to one reduction for the thing, then it would be perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 15:51   #29

Quote:
That's probably your best plan. We also have a small (300 Watt) high efficiency sine wave inverter just for chargers and other small users. We are wired 220 shore power to an isolation transformer whose output is two 110 VAC legs to the boat. On board, we are 24 VDC but there are two large DC-DC solid state converters. 30 VDV for the SSB & 12 VDC for the legacy devices that cannot run on 24.

You might also consider a DC-DC solid state converter if it fits your needs. The over-all efficiency is better than DC-AC-DC as you would expect. Here is one source. DC-DC Converter | Murata Manufacturing Co.
Thank you for your input. I'm totaly lost as to your advise - I never heard of a DC to DC Converter. I'm I correct to understand from your note you can use from a 12 and 24 volt equipment through this converter if say even though your battery is a 12 volt system?
Old 25-10-2015, 15:56   #30

Quote:

Thanks, this information most interesting how do you make sure the part your talking about is installed in the drill?

Tags
electric, winch, water