Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 16:39   #76

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Water maker or not?

Mark: How many gallons of water can you run in areas with brown cloudy water before changing the pre filter? I am on KY lake and have cruised to Florida down Tenn-Tom and plan on doing again. Have considered a water maker, and on my last cruise, water was not much concern as marina water was available, good quality and I have an excellent filtration system on board for fresh water. We have 80 gallons capacity. We currently use about 15 gallons per day for cooking, showers etc. I just like the idea of being self sufficient and having ability to wash down boat and not worry about water at all. I run a generator while not at the dock so energy to make water is not my concern. My concern is keeping a system working and the filter changes that would come from using in cloudy water.

Thanks for your input on this. Also anybody else with real world experience please respond.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 16:45   #77

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

It depends on how cloudy the water is. We make 30gph and run the unit every 2-3 days. Two months operating this way in Stuart FL just outside the Okeechobee had us change the filters once, but they were in use for many months before that. Two months in the Chesapeake and ICW down to Beaufort NC, and we haven't changed the filters yet (but they are getting close).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 16:47   #78

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

It makes small cats better candidates for a watermaker.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 16:58   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Clearly. But this does not make them non-sailboats. ;-)

b.
Wait, I thought cats motored 100% of the time? They can sail too!?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 17:14   #80

Boat: Liberty 458 46' sail

My wife and I have been on board 23 years. We have spent a lot of years cruising. A couple trips to Alaska, 18 months in Mexico and then a circumnavigation. IF you cannot get the salt off of you, out of your clothes, towels, etc, you will be miserable. I think the wet wipes are good for a short camping trip but not for cruising. You can count on your shorts getting wet from riding in the dinghy. IF you cannot rinse them, they will never dry. The ocean is very different than the lakes. There are lots of little organisms in ocean water and they will be on you and your clothing when you get out of the water.

We met a lot of boats while cruising. We had a saying - We are NOT camping around the world. We met a LOT of boats with lots of different "romantic notions" of what life SHOULD be like on the ocean. And, sadly, many of the boats we met quit cruising or turned into single-handers. . You and your BF need to decide how you want to cruise. Once you decide that, you can then decide how you plan on getting water, what kind of food you plan to eat, what level of comfort you want and what level of discomfort is not acceptable. If you plan to be close to shore water supply most of the time, maybe you can live without a watermaker. The Pardeys have cruised for a very long time on a very simple boat. They love it. We would hate it.

Our "not camping around the world" means that we require a water maker. This allows us to not have to go in every few days for water. We started cruising with a PUR 80. It was affordable and easy to install made enough water to live on (drink, shower, and rinse critical stuff like the scuba gear". We collected water off the awnings in the tropics when it rained. When in marinas, we did take on local water and bleach it to kill the local bacteria. Worked well. Our Pur 80 lasted about 10 years with only a bit of maintenance.
We have been home working for about 10 years and have been getting ready to head out again. Bought a PUR 150. Nice unit with lots of automation and convenience. But it is a little twitchy. There are times when I sometimes yurn for the simplicity of the PUR 80 (or 40). Just only run it in clean ocean water way from land. Maintaining the outboard motor, the head and a couple of other boat systems was much harder than dealing with the PUR.
svseawitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:57   #81

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We are spending two monghsbin Bahamas next year maybe a bit longer. Our first time extended cruising. Ibsisnr want water to be an issue so bought a spectra. Expect to b shower when we want , sleep clean etc. And not deal with hauling jugs oebhacinf to anchor up and move to another island and ferbwater when weather crappy. Consider that you are sitting at anchor on remote island and run out orb water but weather has you socked in. Then $0.60 per gallon doesn't so good.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 19:20   #82
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

In 25 years we have never felt the need for a watermaker. Lugging water to the boat has just become part of the cruising experience, kept us in shape and we had all day right? Having said that, we are older now and my back is shot. Now a watermaker has possibly become something more than a convenience, maybe a necessity if we still plan on this lifestyle. Now if my back was still in good shape.........

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 19:29   #83

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Mark: Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. Do you have a CruiseRO unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 19:38   #84

Boat: Allied 39

Have gone both without a watermaker and with as many of those responded as well. A SP tour without in the 90's and we watched the usage very closely. Before we departed in 2005 my wife said there is really one thing I want and that's to be able to wash my hair whenever I want. Ding 1 watermaker please. To be honest I fought it but oh so glad now that she insisted.

Now after 1700 hours of run time we have come to love it. It opens up the cruising to more remote spots without water. 6 weeks in San benidicto/ Socorro Mexico twice. Summer in the northern sea of cortez where we swam and showered at least 6 times a day. I could go on but you get the picture. Sure you can do without one and it's really a luxury but oh so nice. I vote thumbs up on a watermaker.

Maintenance Yep it's a maintenance item and we have our fair share of problems.

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 16-10-2015, 20:06   #85
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Sure you can do without one and it's really a luxury but oh so nice. I vote thumbs up on a watermaker.

www.jacarandajourney.com

Just a quick comment on the above.
You are absolutely correct, sure you can do without one, but then you can do quite well without a boat too. Both are luxuries.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 20:37   #86

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Tellie, as always...thanks for the real 'dope'. Much appreciated mate..
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 22:28   #87

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Having, at times, the need to strictly ration my water use, even for drinking, I consider a water maker a first level luxury/necessity, far, far more important than radar or a furling headsail, although I have both, though old -them and me, and since I mostly solo, it takes the place of a berth. Yeah for solar and wind as supplements that can reduce or eliminate the need to run the engine. I do admit there are circumstances when I'd trade it all for a refrigerator that made beer cold. Oh well, sailing itself is a trade off.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 01:00   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

If you go sailing offshore and can afford it, go buy a water maker.

If you cannot afford one. Start saving.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 01:14   #89

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ok...I will define the time as 'winter'. I will define the Caribbean as 'eastern'. I do not have a boat yet but from boats I have looked at 33' is as small and 38' is as big as I think I want to buy.

How do I keep towels, swim trunks, shorts, sweatshirts and tee shirts clean.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

The last thing you should be worrying about is a watermaker. Get a boat first then ask the question and let's talk about it.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 03:02   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
The last thing you should be worrying about is a watermaker. Get a boat first then ask the question and let's talk about it.

if the cost of a decent watermaker is as high as ive seen i cant agree with you, think about it before buying the boat..
BeOur3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water