Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 17:24   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Water maker or not?

Cruising in the Tropics, we did very nicely with 80 gallons of water. Seldom if ever used more than 40 gallons before getting a refill from the heavens. Never had to lug water to the boat in a year in French Polynesia. Had our awning rigged with boat through hulls and caught water into the tanks with the passing showers. That won't be possible in arid regions like Baja but we used so little fresh water that we could go for months without needing to worry about a refill even without catchment water.

As far as clean, didn't have a problem with staying clean with salt water. Snorkeled every day and didn't have to lather down to get the crud off. An hour or two in the water took care of 'clean' without soap. When we felt the need would lather up with salt water soap like Joy and rinse off with fresh water but that was mostly from a rain shower. With the camping towels available today, you can dry off and remove most of the salt. They are very light weight and dry instantly. Shaking in the wind tends to remove most of the salt accumulation and an occasional rinse in freshwater makes them as good as new. The only time we took freshwater showers was the very short times we spent in Papeete and didn't want to swim in the yucky looking water at the Quai. They had fresh water showers so we used them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
But what of the cost benefit analysis? Water makers are not cheap and there is maintenance too. Does the convenience out weigh the cost?

Im actually very pro water maker. But my BF is not. I would like to give him solid answers as to why a water is maker is better.

We will seldom use a marina and so lug water we will! That does not sound like fun to me! And, as I understand it, water is not very cheap everywhere either. So it will "cost" in time, energy expenditure and financially too. But are these arguments realistic justifications for a water maker?
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 18:35   #17

can't one just get one of those gizmos like on waterworld!? you pee in it and get fresh water?!!! hehe
BeOur3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:17   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The "cost/benefit" question is non-sensical when it come to a water maker. There is a cost and a benefit, but not a ratio or tradeoff between the two. On paper, they will never make sense, but have your BF lug water for a while (and be sure you do not go down the Wet Wipe or the "allowed two sprits from a spray bottle" routes) , and see what he says then.

Mark
I'll play devil's advocate. If you get a job making 2O $/ hr you would have to work 3OO hours or somewhere around 2 months to pay for a decent spectra. Lugging water 10 hours a week you would be ahead by buying a Watermaker if you were cruising for a year. Just fun fuzzy Math but think of all the extra fishing and snorkeling you could do!!!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:22   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeOur3rd View Post
can't one just get one of those gizmos like on waterworld!? you pee in it and get fresh water?!!! hehe
That's available now, the Spectra RePee 2.O ( product output may vary, but greatly improved by drinking mass quantities of pabst blue ribbon or Milwaukee's best) very low power consumption!

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:35   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeOur3rd View Post
A Dune stillsuit would be even better.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:53   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If your tanks are big enough, and you are diligent about collecting and conserving water, you might get by just fine without a watermaker, the whole installation of which is a rather expensive project, thousand$.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:56   #22

See what these folks did:

Sawadi's Sourdough | Sundowner Sails Again
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:20   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Stephan definitely makes some of the best sourdough bread around, but I don't see the connection with water makers in that link.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:40   #24

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I do want to keep things as simple as possible...camping I have placed water in the sun to warm it up so I could take a luke cool sponge bath. Fresh water lakes jump in, come out and soap up, jump in again to rinse.

I might use a mix of solutions. From getting water at a marina, capturing rain water, just taking salt water baths. When I am by myself water will not be a problem but when I have a female companion with me that will be a different story.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:44   #25

You haven't told us your planned cruising grounds. This will make a big difference in your choice.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-10-2015, 06:51   #26

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Oh...sorry. I will be sailing from Florida north east coast to Bahamas and Caribbean then back. I plan to do this during the chilly north Florida winters.

Typically there will be two of us. But on a rare occasion there could be 4 for a week or so as friends/family want to visit.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
capturing rain

as ive been looking for a boat.. ive noticed something

boats are designed for weekender's. not for live-aboard's.

it would be so easy to design most boats so that they collect rainwater right into your cistern, and you could have a ball valve set-up to ensure you dont "collect" unless its raining..

this would mean very small and easy design changes to boats..
Old 16-10-2015, 07:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A Dune stillsuit would be even better.
yes that would rock! lol although designed for the desert~! (maybe modify a wetsuit into one! )
Old 16-10-2015, 07:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
That's available now, the Spectra RePee 2.O ( product output may vary, but greatly improved by drinking mass quantities of pabst blue ribbon or Milwaukee's best) very low power consumption!

where do i buy it!? lol does it still work with red wine or dark ales? ;[
Old 16-10-2015, 07:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Oh...sorry. I will be sailing from Florida north east coast to Bahamas and Caribbean then back. I plan to do this during the chilly north Florida winters.

Typically there will be two of us. But on a rare occasion there could be 4 for a week or so as friends/family want to visit.

So you can count out rain during this time in these areas (maybe some rain in Dominica). The E Caribe is full of places to get water at docks if you have the tankage to carry it through the places that do not. The Bahamas have some RO water that can be jugged, but if you plan to explore the less common (ie, better) areas, there will be little water available.

Mark

Tags
water