Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2009, 20:18   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Don't ever try to video an LEO doing his job......You will get busted for interfering in some localities.
Old 14-02-2009, 21:07   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Sorry - but what is a LEO?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-02-2009, 21:22   #18

::chuckle:: Well, I can only keep my US-registered vessel in Canada for so many months. Then I have to clear out or pay the Canadian tax-man. But since I'm living mostly full-time in Canada, it's awfully nice to have the boat moored nearby.

The only real drawback for me if I register the boat in Canada is paying taxes (again!) on the boat. Which, if I get a current survey, might not be as bad as it would have been last year...

However, there is a national registry for boats, called Coast Guard documentation. And yah, my boat's registered despite its diminutive waterline length.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Old 16-02-2009, 18:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Don't ever try to video an LEO doing his job......You will get busted for interfering in some localities.

They would be dissapointed with me then. It is MY choice whether to record the episode or not.

WA Brown
Old 16-02-2009, 19:04   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Learning to pick one's windmills with discretion is one of the benefits of experience.
Old 16-02-2009, 19:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sorry - but what is a LEO?
Law
Enforement
Officer = leo
Old 16-02-2009, 19:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post
They would be dissapointed with me then. It is MY choice whether to record the episode or not.

WA Brown
so you would rather video tape than cooperate... sounds like you want to spend some time in the pokey.. and your boat get impounded..

just so you know... under the patriot act DHS has right to board at will..
customs uses Title 19 of the federal codes as thier right to board.
IF you are documented the USCG has a legal right to board at will...
if you not not doc'd and state registered..the state marine patrol
as a legal righ to board at will...
hand over the documentation.. answer no questions that do not pertain to the boat specific.. such as where ya going, where ya been.. that is none of thier business.. all you have to produced is your boat papers, and your ID... while you are not legally bound by any law in the United States to carry Identification.. no there is NO law saying one has to carry ID...
it is wisest to cooperate..

This is small piece of advice... we are ALL in this together.. what one does can make it hard on those who come after.. having a sense of entitlement and giving a water cop a hard time over a law that might be illegal is a futile thing to do.. first the cop has no say in whether or not a law is illegal.. and until it either winds it way thru court and is tossed out by a judge or repealed by a legislature it is still a law.. some cops will overlook something if you are willing to be nice.. and try to comply..but when you harangue them, and basicaly act the fool.. well not only will you get hassled, again.. so will those who come after you...

So when you piss off the marine patrol.. and they show up at 3am route you out of your nice warm comfy V berth in the cold cruel wee hours of the morning... to do a check of your head, which is entirely within his rights... remember it is better to be pissed off than pissed on..
fair winds.. stay warm..
Old 16-02-2009, 19:26   #23

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
It is perfectly legal to videotape police and Coast Guard even if they are on your boat....

ACLU of PA Announces Settlement for Man Arrested for Videotaping Police Officers in Public :: American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania

Granted, it is not exactly a boating case, but you get the drift.

The best advice if they tell you to turn off the camera is to just set it down, still recording.

And remember, Patriot Act or not, in US Waters, during most boardings, the scope of what they can do is limited to determining the vessel's regulatory status and checking for compliance with U.S. civil law applicable to vessels of that status.

If you feel at anytime you are being mistreated, be sure to ask for a supervisor, and get all names. Then get an attorney and sue the **** out of them.

Be sure to sue each officer individually as well as the department.

It will make it easier for those of us who follow to not get pushed around if those who are abused stand up for their rights.
Old 16-02-2009, 19:33   #24

There is no excuse for treatment such as that. Call the Chalreston NewsPaper or the TV stations. I would be screaming from the top of the world and pointing fingers at people who abuse their powers. Here are a few contact numbers and info.

WMMP/WTAT
4301 Arco Lane
Charleston, SC.,29418
843-554-9649
comments@wtat24.com

WCIV-TV
888 Allbritton Blvd.
Mt.Pleasant,SC.,29464
843-881-4444
NEWS 843-723-4403

WCSC TV
2126 Charlie Hall Blvd
Charleston,SC.,29414
843-402-5555
wcscdesk@live5news.com

WCBD -TV
210 West Coleman Blvd
Mount Pleasant, SC., 29464
843-884-2222
news@wcbd.com

The Post and Courier
134 Columbus St.
Charleston,SC.,29403
843-937-5626
letters@postandcourier.com

Governor Mark Sanford
Office of the Governor
PO Box 12267
Columbia,SC 29211
803-734-2100

WA Brown
Old 16-02-2009, 19:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
so you would rather video tape than cooperate... sounds like you want to spend some time in the pokey.. and your boat get impounded..

I didnt say I would not cooperate but If I felt I needed to record the event then I would. There is no reason for them to be running roughshod over people.

WA Brown
Old 16-02-2009, 19:40   #26

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
And don't forget to report it to Copwatch.com -- Policing the Police.

The Copwatch Database is a permanent, searchable repository of complaints filed against police officers.
Old 16-02-2009, 21:09   #27

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post
I have decided to chalk this one up to experience.
It is what it is....

They need to keep their Homeland Securty funding coming in. When there's no Taliban boating on the rivers of South Carolina, the authorites need to keep busy. You did win, although I know how frustrating it is. I've been on the business end of it a few times before. A few were me own fault, a few were wrong place wrong time. When it comes down to it, you're right, your word against there's... Yours rarely wins.

Be proud. They couldn't stop ya from reachin your goal.

Cheers

Bill
Old 17-02-2009, 05:39   #28

Boat: Beneteau 305
I cannot speack for th US but you may remember seeing the video the polish immigrant being tasered to death at the Vanvouver Airport. The reason we all saw that video is because you can only deny someone taking pictures or video on private property, and then by the propriater. Airport, Post office, lakes rivers and oceans are all public property and the police cannot force you to stop filming or taking pictures (if you notice on the video at the Van Airport the cops asked the fellow to stop recording, sure glad he knew his rights). Also here north of the 49th, a search warrant is neccessary to enter if the boat, tent, trailer, house, etc.., if it contains a place to sleep, a place to cook, and a plce to crap (now unless there is some sort of porta-pottie in the tent cops can barge right in).
Taking pictures or video can be a tricky approach to take, but try to remind the cops that it is in their best interest as well as yours, besides it really keeps them on their toes, and hopefully keeps them mindfull of their responsibility to the public.
Old 17-02-2009, 06:06   #29

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
The reason we all saw that video is because you can only deny someone taking pictures or video on private property, and then by the propriater. Airport, Post office, lakes rivers and oceans are all public property and the police cannot force you to stop filming or taking pictures (if you notice on the video at the Van Airport the cops asked the fellow to stop recording, sure glad he knew his rights).
Airports have some areas where it is illegal to photograph or film. These areas will be clearly posted and ussually include customs/immigration and security checkpoints. If you are questioned for a DEA type investigation that will also be done without any pictures.
Old 17-02-2009, 07:47   #30

Boat: 36 gulfstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
no there is NO law saying one has to carry ID...
it is wisest to cooperate..
While there is no law that says you must carry ID, here in Florida we have a law that says an LEO can detain you for as long as he wants until you identify yourself or answer his questions to his satisfaction.

Richard
Closed Thread