Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 11:27   #61

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
Re: Watch or time piece?

It's actually connected via ANT+, not wifi, which is related to Bluetooth and has a range of about 30' max. It requires NMEA2000 connection for MOB functionality and instrument sending.

You have to purchase the Garmin wireless base for it even if you already have something like a Navico GoFree. It's about $200, so with the $500 for the watch you're $700 in for full functionality.

The Quatix overboard sensor is water detection. I've yet to fall overboard to test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 06:33   #62

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Heh Slick new watch. What is range of Wifi trigger, i.e how far from mother ship will it work and and is the MOB function automatic ( water triggered or hydro pressure) vs manual. THAT is a function worth paying for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ
Russ--

The MOB function is dependent upon the watch communicating with a Garmin GNT 10 transceiver via an ANT+ wireless system which is similar to "Bluetooth" (I earlier used the term WiFi in just a generic sense for wireless communication between devices). The GNT 10 will speak to/listen to any other ANT+ capable device streaming NMEA 2000 data, (e.g. plotters et al). Assuming one has such a system aboard (we do not), according to the manual, if the Watch is in Auto MOB mode, whenever communication between the Watch and the GNT is broken for 10 seconds, the GNT 10 sends an "Mark MOB" command to all other connected plotters. The ANT+ transmission system has an effective range of 10 meters (32.8'). So if one goes over the side, the GNT would have to move more than 10 meters from the Watch/wearer before communication would be lost and then the alert would not be sent for another 10 seconds. At six knots, the yacht is moving at about 10.12 feet per second and so would cover about 101.2 feet before the "Mark MOB" command is issued. If the GNT were centrally located on our boat, that would put the MOB Marker about 115-110 feet from where the wearer actually hit the water (if he/she were not tethered to the yacht). Frankly, having had the misfortune of being in big seas at night in very crappy weather, 100+ feet might as well be 100+ miles although an "about" position is better than nothing at all. I won't stake my life on it however!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 10:00   #63

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Somewhere along the line I developed a fascination with watches. I have a small collection of German micro brands, like Sinn, Stowa, and Damasko. They are all mechanical watches, so they require no batteries. They also feature innovative technology like treatments to the base stainless, making them much harder and resistant to damage.

This is my main watch for passagemaking:

[ATTACH]104004[/ATTACH

I use the bezel as a timer, and the GMT function is used regularly for actual GMT, or simply another time zone. These are expensive, kind of like the difference between a monitor wind vane and an auto pilot. Quartz watches have their strengths, like autopilots. I could list reasons why I'd prefer to have a time piece that doesn't require a battery, or why I like the features of an automatic mechanical, but it's not pragmatism that drives me. I just really enjoy the watch, the complexity, the artfulness of the design, the copper sulphate tabs inside that protect from moisture/condensation, the hard tegimented finish, and the idea of a watch industry with skilled trades people.

I also have a Casio pathfinder for the cabin, it is a very practical watch. All of my watches I've bought used, and they are a bit of an investment. They hold their value remarkably well, and the market is brisk for the brands I listed.

Brands like steinhart do "homages", basically copies of Rolex or other iconic brands. Rolex is considered boilerplate by serious watch enthusiasts, because the high end watches are commonly $10,000 and easily $25,000, with Rolex being around $5000.

Ya, I know. Rolex is a very good watch, and it is cool to see the watch manufacturers sponsor ocean races, or even women's World Cup, so that's a good point. I think many of us have a reaction to Rolex, I know I would not wear one, but they are high quality.

I love wearing a watch again, having used the cell phone for a number of years. I'm loathe to use the cell phone for time now, in and out of the pocket, all day. And when you're a busy guy, spread thin, with people sucking up your time, a quick glance at the watch speaks volumes.

I'm not sure I would relax on your boat if you threatened to throw my watch away! I sorta get the concept, but I think time is really what you are concerned with. Not the tool that measures it....

Btw, if anyone is interested in mechanical watches, the seiko 5 line is super affordable with a Japanese movement. The pathfinders and g shocks are great, and very popular, but some don't like wearing a big ole hunk of plastic. Something like the 5 is a good affordable alternative. Then there is grand seiko, which are $5000 or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434817518.873621.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	104004  
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 13:46   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post

(...) a small collection of German micro brands, (...)
Germans are coming!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ivkki0xJw9...%2BSet%2B1.jpg

I nice set for any navigator who discerns accuracy ... and jewellery.

Glashutte. No, I do not hold their shares. Unfortunately! ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:41   #65
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

I'm a little bit of a watch freak, a sailing freak too. I would recommend an Omega Seamaster. Virtually indestructible and will last several lifetimes. NASA uses Omega watches as it is the only watch ever worn on the moon. Buzz Aldrin still wears his.

For sailing get a Seamaster GMt easily keeps two time zones so you will always know the time in your home port.

Rolex are good but Omegas are imho the best watches made. The only other watch but tremendously more expensive are Ullysse Nardin. Truly nautical watches.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 16:49   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" NASA uses Omega watches as it is the only watch ever worn on the moon. "
That's slightly backwards. It is the only watch worn on the moon, because NASA had chosen Omega. Actually, there was very little competition and very little interest among watchmakers for the job.
NASA had two big questions. Whether a watch could perform accurately (by then standards) in a zero gravity environment, which no one really knew. And whether operating in a vacuum would cause the watch to perhaps explode or fail in other ways, like lubricant failure from the extreme cold.
There's been a lot eventually posted online about NASA and watches. Bottom line, Omega got lucky, no one else was in the right place at the right time. Not that Omega isn't still a fine mechanical timepiece, but they mainly got lucky.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 14:15   #67
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Thanks Hello sailor for the info. Interesting update. But I still have to add, it was worn on the moon and is still the preferred watch of NASA. Lucky, ok, but still a works and a great time piece. I sail with mine for over 10yrs now and have never had a problem. Needs a cleaning so it's off a min every month.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 14:22   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Somewhere along the line I developed a fascination with watches. I have a small collection of German micro brands, like Sinn, Stowa, and Damasko. They are all mechanical watches, so they require no batteries. They also feature innovative technology like treatments to the base stainless, making them much harder and resistant to damage.

This is my main watch for passagemaking:

[ATTACH]104004[/ATTACH

I use the bezel as a timer, and the GMT function is used regularly for actual GMT, or simply another time zone. These are expensive, kind of like the difference between a monitor wind vane and an auto pilot. Quartz watches have their strengths, like autopilots. I could list reasons why I'd prefer to have a time piece that doesn't require a battery, or why I like the features of an automatic mechanical, but it's not pragmatism that drives me. I just really enjoy the watch, the complexity, the artfulness of the design, the copper sulphate tabs inside that protect from moisture/condensation, the hard tegimented finish, and the idea of a watch industry with skilled trades people.

I also have a Casio pathfinder for the cabin, it is a very practical watch. All of my watches I've bought used, and they are a bit of an investment. They hold their value remarkably well, and the market is brisk for the brands I listed.

Brands like steinhart do "homages", basically copies of Rolex or other iconic brands. Rolex is considered boilerplate by serious watch enthusiasts, because the high end watches are commonly $10,000 and easily $25,000, with Rolex being around $5000.

Ya, I know. Rolex is a very good watch, and it is cool to see the watch manufacturers sponsor ocean races, or even women's World Cup, so that's a good point. I think many of us have a reaction to Rolex, I know I would not wear one, but they are high quality.

I love wearing a watch again, having used the cell phone for a number of years. I'm loathe to use the cell phone for time now, in and out of the pocket, all day. And when you're a busy guy, spread thin, with people sucking up your time, a quick glance at the watch speaks volumes.

I'm not sure I would relax on your boat if you threatened to throw my watch away! I sorta get the concept, but I think time is really what you are concerned with. Not the tool that measures it....

Btw, if anyone is interested in mechanical watches, the seiko 5 line is super affordable with a Japanese movement. The pathfinders and g shocks are great, and very popular, but some don't like wearing a big ole hunk of plastic. Something like the 5 is a good affordable alternative. Then there is grand seiko, which are $5000 or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I shall stick with my very accurate Seiko as it tells me the day of the week, the date and the time. I dont need to go to the GPS to check.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 14:34   #69
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" Needs a cleaning so it's off a min every month. "
Nah, that's all that a "certified swiss chronometer" can be expected to do. Certification just means it runs within +-2 minutes per month, so you've got yours down way better than can be expected. OTOH, Accutron, the other contender who didn't make it for a variety of esoteric technical reasons, was always guaranteed within 1 minute a month, and could easily be adjusted better than that, for the user. In 1962 Accutron became the first--and only--wristwatch certified as a "Railroad Chronometer" and in 1969 an Accutron movement was left on the Sea of Tranquility. The only watch movement left on the moon. A number of them were used in instrument panels, including some aircraft, where the unique mechanism allowed three movements to be stacked, one atop the other, and linked. That also meant they would mechanically average each other out, providing even better accuracy.

I think the Omega is probably more robust on an earthbound wrist, although the company really went to pieces (i.e. lost all their records of movements!) before Swatch picked them up.
Old 13-07-2015, 14:36   #70

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post
I'm a little bit of a watch freak, a sailing freak too. I would recommend an Omega Seamaster. Virtually indestructible and will last several lifetimes. NASA uses Omega watches as it is the only watch ever worn on the moon. Buzz Aldrin still wears his.

For sailing get a Seamaster GMt easily keeps two time zones so you will always know the time in your home port.

Rolex are good but Omegas are imho the best watches made. The only other watch but tremendously more expensive are Ullysse Nardin. Truly nautical watches.
The Seamaster was a good watch before quartz crystal watches came along. Mine's been in a drawer since the late sixties. Frankly I can't afford to have it cleaned. The last time it was cleaned was nearly fifty years ago and it was over $100 then. Anyone want to buy a gold (plated 120 microns) Seamaster? I think I got it in 1959.
Old 13-07-2015, 15:05   #71

Boat: Bristol 27

Yep, and if you are really worried about having the correct time you can buy just about any cheap watch these days and be good.

Buy 5 or 6 Timex Ironman watches and you should be set for a while.

John Harrison's day is long past...........

http://www.amazon.com/Longitude-Geni.../dp/080271529X

but if you are trying to impress with an expensive watch, now that is totally different.

It's like who has the best ornaments on their Christmas tree
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:08   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Seamaster was a good watch before quartz crystal watches came along. Mine's been in a drawer since the late sixties. Frankly I can't afford to have it cleaned. The last time it was cleaned was nearly fifty years ago and it was over $100 then. Anyone want to buy a gold (plated 120 microns) Seamaster? I think I got it in 1959.
I was quoted $400 to get my Tissot cleaned. I laughed and said that's all it cost on Amazon. Sad, I know.
Old 13-07-2015, 15:11   #73

"Brands like steinhart do "homages", basically copies of Rolex or other iconic brands. Rolex is considered boilerplate by serious watch enthusiasts, because the high end watches are commonly $10,000 and easily $25,000, with Rolex being around $5000."

Funny, I thought Rolex had the reputation of having a $2000 movement in a $25,000 watch. Omega have a nice price to quality relationship - an excellent movement for the money.
Old 13-07-2015, 15:28   #74
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You just have to watch out for the $5 specials on Timex and Casio and all. If they are made with a 3-5 year battery, some inventory gets dumped as the watches get older, so when a watch may be two years old, someone dumps it to one of the cheap cheap places, and the unsuspecting buyer needs another battery in six months or a year, instead of 3-5.
Old 13-07-2015, 16:43   #75

Boat: Bristol 27

Yeah, good idea or just glance at your GPS every so often........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote