Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 10:28   #31

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: Watch or time piece?

How about no watch when on board? Part of the reason to jump n our boat s to get away from the daily grind. Have a rule on board - If I see a watch and the see the same watch 10 minutes later the watch is in the water, whether or not it is being it is on a wrist. Very effective in getting people to relax.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 10:38   #32
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Being ordered to relax never quite worked for me.
Old 13-06-2015, 10:52   #33

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II 12m bermudia rig pilothouse

Hi are you after accuracy for navigating? I bought a watch specifically for this purpose which is waterproof robust etc and far more accurate than your $10000 rolex's etc. I forget the make name but it is a throwoff of citizen.
davefrediam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 10:55   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I can't swear to it, but AFAIK all the "solar" watches use a lithium battery, akin to the hotly debated lithium batteries in cars, planes, and boats. So if they are allowed to see some light daily, and top off their charge daily, they may last for 10,000 charge cycles, which should be many years--but not the "forever" they are often suggested as.

OTOH I think the Seiko "Kinetic" line all use a supercapacitor, not a battery. Or they used to., This means they store far less power (maybe a week, nowhere near the six months of a solar) but again in theory, the capacitor will never wear out unless physically defective. Although like the battery, letting it sit dead for long periods can help kill it.

Getting a complete Seiko or other servicing for $110 is a bargain that you won't find in the US. The three iddy biddy gaskets (crystal, crown, caseback) could sell for pennies if anyone would standardize the sizes. But getting quality parts and service from an independent watch servicer...Anyone ever notice, even Rolex won't give you more than a one-year warranty on waterproofing after servicing? If they're not willing to gamble, that tells you something. Swim with the fancy watch, sure. But use the expendable $20 Casio for diving. Unless you've got one of the "real men don't eed no stinkin computers" mechanical diving times. They'll work forever, even if they don't know how to count past "60".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 12:03   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I wear, and recommend, a Rolex oyster datejust perpetual wrist watch.

Before you get all sneezy, I'll remind you that it is available in stainless as a very economical version of the gold and diamond version.

I wore this crossing the atlantic. I swam in salt water several times with it on. Its rated down to like 100m depth, so no worries there. It has a mechanical timepiece which is wound by motion...the motion of the boat is enough to keep it fully wound all the time...or just the motion of your hand when on land. The only time you might need to wind it, is if you take it off for a week.

Its low profile, and looks very respectable. The ladies will notice, and so will the guy who stamps your hand to get into the club. Plus rolex supports sailing through sponsorships, so nice to show some support back.

You can buy new, if thats your thing, or buy used for a bargain ($100 for an older one). If you buy used, count on taking it directly to a watch repair store for a good cleaning and setting for accuracy (about $100).

Although not quite as accurate as a quartz movement...pretty close, and never needs a new battery.

And if you really want to get the gold/diamond version, I'm sure it would look very nice too.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 12:34   #36

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

i don't use my SUUNTO EXPLORER at all
Boat has 3 clocks:
:-)
Regular
24h
Tide clock

Plus, 2 time-keepers
in kitchen
In pocket during time-watch

Plus, the tablet...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 14:31   #37
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon, 420 owners version

Rip Curl ATS surf watch, has tide and moon function and bezel like dive watch. Rugged, surf, dive, and Sail for years.
Old 13-06-2015, 14:47   #38

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Cheap Timex buy two keep one clean and use for dress and the other your every day unit. I can afford a Rolex but I wear a simple beat up Timex and I don't care to impress others with my watch.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 15:02   #39

Boat: Bristol 27

Is this a real question?

Or just folks bragging (or the reverse) about their "time piece."

John Harrison was instrumental in his work to determine longitude with his "timekeepers" but today it's not that much of a problem.

You don't need a genius anymore (sorry John) just a local Walmart.

Btw, if anyone that calls himself a sailor wants to know the real story when it actually meant something to have a good "time piece" check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Longitude-Geni.../dp/080271529X
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 15:08   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
How well does a phone work in the water or rain?
How does one wear a phone or GPS on one's wrist?
When sailing, you don't need a watch on your wrist. It's not that far to the GPS. (or your phone)

But I should have guessed, for some it is a ways which is why we have roller furling mains and all lines leading to the cockpit..............
Old 13-06-2015, 15:08   #41

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

I have a Timex Ironman Triatholon, water resistant to 100 meters, that I bought in La Paz MX about 10 years ago. The only times that it leaves my wrist are for things like reading the back so I could Identify it in this comment, getting an MRI, a surgeon removed it at least once. Oh, sometimes I get sweaty under the band. I lengthen the band so that my skin under the band can get dry. Otherwise I wear it all the time - showering, swiming, sailing, rowing, etc. I can't imagine having a Rolex on my arm - I'd be afraid of leaving the bank vault!
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 15:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
I have a Timex Ironman Triatholon, water resistant to 100 meters, that I bought in La Paz MX about 10 years ago. The only times that it leaves my wrist are for things like reading the back so I could Identify it in this comment, getting an MRI, a surgeon removed it at least once. Oh, sometimes I get sweaty under the band. I lengthen the band so that my skin under the band can get dry. Otherwise I wear it all the time - showering, swiming, sailing, rowing, etc. I can't imagine having a Rolex on my arm - I'd be afraid of leaving the bank vault!
Right, this watch is practical for a sailor.

I have two of them at the bottom of lakes in Mississippi and a several others under the surface on the Gulf Coast near Pensacola, Ft Walton Beach, Panama City, or Ocean Springs................

Racing small catamarans is tough on watches but you need one for the start sequence etc...................
Old 13-06-2015, 19:49   #43
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

The Captain currently wears a Rolex Oyster, a gift from the Admiral as the Captain generally prefers function (and value!) over looks.

The Rolex replaced a TAG (another gift from the Admiral) after the latter basically stopped working and there was a ridiculous fee requested to fix it. The TAG was never all that reliable to begin with, although the Captain does put his watch through a lot of punishment.

The Rolex is reliable and it never needs to be wound, but it's time-keeping is not overly accurate, regularly gaining a minute a month or so...and that's even after sending it back to be 're-tuned'/whatever. It's not annoying enough to go through the incredible hassle and expense to send it back again. It provides time and date only...so no other functions that might be (!) considered handy for sailing.

Given an unfettered choice, the Captain would definitely take one of the more-functional (and less expensive!) options suggested above in this thread. Just sayin...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 20:17   #44

Suunto Yachtsman

I sail a lot of different boats and refuse to be without a barometer.

I also use it as my timer when I referee squash.

$189 - Costco.

Also have a Casio Protrek as a back up.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 20:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
How about no watch when on board? Part of the reason to jump n our boat s to get away from the daily grind. Have a rule on board - If I see a watch and the see the same watch 10 minutes later the watch is in the water, whether or not it is being it is on a wrist. Very effective in getting people to relax.
With our tides and currents in PNW, it is essential to know the time.

I will also not be without a barometer.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote