Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2016, 05:55   #1

Location: Boat is currently at a marina in Point Richmond, CA
Boat: Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 34'
Wanted: Yanmar Instrument Panel advice

Hello all: I have a Yanmar 3YM30 with approximately 1,200 hours on it. The instrument panel hour meter has stopped working. It seems to me I have three options: Have the existing panel repaired; Buy an all-new panel; or install a separate hour meter and leave the old panel on. The boat is in La Paz, Baja and I am currently on the West Coast of the U.S. Any suggestions? This is the panel I'm referring to:

jenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 05:57   #2

Re: Wanted: Yanmar Instrument Panel advice

This is it:

Old 18-06-2016, 06:40   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Wanted: Yanmar Instrument Panel advice

Buy an hour meter for a couple of dollars on ebay and install it inside the boat, somewhere easy readable. The hour meter on the panel is still working, it is just the LCD display that stops functioning. But the fault is intermittant, sometimes all of a sudden the display is showing the hours, taking into account the run hours since the last readable hours.
I have the same problem and installed a cheap hours meter at the nav station.
For the feed wire I used an unused wire in the Yanmar standard cabling harness (water in sail drive).
Hours now run when contact is on and not not when engine is running. The difference is infinitissimal.
I wired the new hours meter to the battery to get to an easy conversion with the Yanmar hours.
Let it run for the hours above the one hundreds. Now I just have to add 700 to get to the actual hours.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 06:45   #4

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

[QUOTE=sailormed;2147071]Buy an hour meter for a couple of dollars on ebay and install it inside the boat, somewhere easy...same problem and installed a cheap hours meter at the nav station. For the feed wire I used an unused wire in the Yanmar standard cabling harness...Hours now run when contact is on and not not when engine is running. The difference is infinitissimal.
(/QUOTE]

+1 - We had exactly the same problem and took the same action; ours is just wired back to the ignition switch. Buying a new panel is not the answer, those things are an astronomical price!
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 09:07   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and whether it is function or appearance. I'm guessing that panel is costly and hour meter is cheap. I assume it is not a wiring problem since it is integral to the tach. but maybe not.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 09:52   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 48

I have the same panel on my ship and the same advice as Sailormed. I noticed my display shows the data on and off. Allthough in my case it seems to show data often when de motor is running some minutes. I do agree that the hours are still counting and the problem is in the display.
I would also install a seperate hour meter connected to the contact of the motor.

Seeing this panel I also advice you to install a separate coolwater alarm alarming when the water in the exhaust gets to hot, the alarm on this panel shows a red led when overheated but then in most cases the damage is done. Next to this I would install a temperature meter. Same applies for the oilpressure, a lot of problems can be spotted in a early stage on a oilpressuremeter, only a red ligth as in this panel is not early enough for me. In the larger Yanmar panels these meters are standard. if you are prepared to spend some money you can buy a larger panel.

Last suggestion is to write a mail to the inporter of Yanmar in de place you live, USA?. Yanmar has great service and I am prettry sure that when asked they send you an new display.
AndreBruijntjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 10:28   #7

Thanks. This is good advice.
Old 18-06-2016, 10:29   #8

Thanks. It all depends on how much money I want to spend. I prefer gauges to "idiot lights," but those panels are very expensive.
Old 18-06-2016, 10:41   #9

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Jenders...
I have a 3ym30 panel as shown...hour meter has low hours...maybe 50? Was installed and removed from project boat. Also vdo temp and oil pressure gages... Some scrote pinched the engine from my warehouse. As I recall the panel corner screw holes broken, have a key, maybe two. Pm me if you are interested...

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 11:50   #10

Boat: islandpacket

A new panel is like $500,
Old 18-06-2016, 15:06   #11

Boat: prairie32 cutter

These panels are noted for this. mine has only 327 hrs on it and does it. Spoke with my friend that sells and installs yanmars. his advise, wire in a sepatate hr meter. I did
TOPGALLANT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 15:32   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Had the same problem. Hour display returns intermittently. Placed a vibration meter on a fuel hose on motor, cheap and easy.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 18:28   #13

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

On our cat, the starboard one works almost perfectly, the port one hardly ever shows hours, but it does now and then. I just note this when it does. I also time when the port engine is running by itself and can work out the hours for my log. One of the units was replaced at sometime before we purchased the boat as well.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 19:23   #14

Boat: Jarkan 10.5

I got the same problem on my 3ym30, looks like a common problem. Sounds like Yanmar needs to lift their game and issue a recall.
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 17:15   #15

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I'll add my vote to the "get a new hour meter". We have a Yanmar 3JH4SBE, with a slightly different larger panel, but also with an LCD hour meter display in the tach. Same problem and it was difficult to read in sunlight even when it was working regularly. Wired a new one to the ignition switch at a fraction of the cost for a new tach, but had room on the panel to do so. And will confirm that hours are accurate when and if they reappear on the original.
desodave is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wanted, yanmar