Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-07-2007, 13:57   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Want to circumnvigate?

If you've ever thought you'd like to race around the globe on a sailboat, this could be for you. It's from today's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude:

So You Wanna Race Around the World?

July 9 - Pt. Richmond

Who says you have to be a sailing rockstar to race around the world? Anyone with a sense of adventure (and the right bank balance) can join the 2007-08 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race, no matter their skill level. The race, created by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston in '95, gives "ordinary" folks the chance to sail around the globe on one or more legs aboard one of ten 68-ft one design boats.

This year's running of the event will bring racers to the West Coast for the first time. Hawaii is one confirmed stop and there may be more - heck, San Francisco is a natural, if you ask us. To find out more about the race and crew positions, stop by KKMI in Pt. Richmond - call (510) 235-5564 for directions - tonight at 6 p.m. for a presentation by Crew Recruitment Manager David Cusworth. If you can't make the presentation, contact Cusworth by email or call him on his UK-based cell at +44 (0) 7884-490-645. You can also find more at clipperroundtheworld.com.

- latitude / ld

I can't help feeling it's the nautical equivalent of being short-roped up Everest for a huge fee, but maybe it's perfect for a certain class of sailors.

TaoJones

Old 09-07-2007, 14:35   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
This might be fine and dandy for the fast-moving gotta go set but I couldn't do it coz I don't think they'd stop for a spot of snorkelling or to really enjoy a stunning sunset or do a spot of fishing....."Are you able to slow down to the required level of laziness??"....that's my kind of cruising.....

Old 11-07-2007, 01:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I have to agree with Rangiroo on that one. There were some articles published in the Pacific Yachting magazine about a reporter joining the Canadian entry from Victoria, B.C. ( it won the race) for the leg in the Northern lattitudes from China to Victoria. It sounded like you had to enjoy punishment. Cramped Quarters, Cold and wet in some heavy seas. Didn't really sound like my kind of Holiday.
Old 26-07-2007, 10:28   #4

I'd love to take this old Hunter around the world. It would p*** off all the right people...lol

I have an evil dream...far away at some remote idyllic Polynesian island, half a world away from the nearest "Starbuck's", in an anchorage full of center cockpit ketches, ocean going multihulls and ZERO vessels with less than a $300,000 price tag, one morning they wake up and there's a lowly '77 Hunter 27' anchored right in the middle of them.

The wind would stop blowing as a great gasp of air, and a collective "W...T...F?????" registered on a seismometer in Japan...

Just a dream...lol
Old 26-07-2007, 10:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Ooops, just checked and you can no longer get "half a world away" from a Starbucks. To late.
Old 26-07-2007, 11:28   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton R
I'd love to take this old Hunter around the world. It would p*** off all the right people...lol

I have an evil dream...far away at some remote idyllic Polynesian island, half a world away from the nearest "Starbuck's", in an anchorage full of center cockpit ketches, ocean going multihulls and ZERO vessels with less than a $300,000 price tag, one morning they wake up and there's a lowly '77 Hunter 27' anchored right in the middle of them.

The wind would stop blowing as a great gasp of air, and a collective "W...T...F?????" registered on a seismometer in Japan...

Just a dream...lol

Anton,

love it, all sounds doeble except the half a world away from Starbucks, thats becoming extremely hard these days!!!

Danny
Old 26-07-2007, 15:25   #7

If I go thru all the crappe of upgrading the Chevy of the Sea and fight giant squids and rogue waves to finally ghost into Fatu Hiva or somewhere only to find a Starbuck's and a Mickey D's there...I'm gonna be Pee Ode.

Wellll...first I'll get in line to get a sack of Big Macs n Fries and a GIANT Espresso Americano...but then I'll have my strength back and I'm REALLY gonna be pee ode ... lol
Old 27-07-2007, 04:19   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Jimmy Buffett sang

... Times have changed for sailors these days
When I'm in port I get what I need
Not just Havanas or bananas or daiquiris
But that American creation on which I feed

Cheeseburger in paradise ...

Home

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread