Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 20:39   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Volvo Ocean Race Start - You Ready?

Well guys, just 8hrs & change, till the race begins. Always an exciting thing. It'd surely be fun to be in HQ or one of the team compounds right about now. The energy & emotion before the start of a big race is always amazing!
Spectacular Sunday on tap as crews ready for the start of the Volvo Ocean Race - Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18

www.volvooceanrace.org
Who's your fav? Got a good story? Share anything you've got.

To me, the shift from being a family guy/dad or woman/mom to professional sailor is one that's kind of without words to describe it. I know what it feels like. But it's amazing to see.
Saying goodbye to the family one minute, & the next you're a totally different person; focused entirely on racing, the boat, & the team. Making the shift almost without thought. Not that you forget about the folks ashore, but... It's a lot different than heading out for your morning commute to the office. And a much grander "office" & commute it is!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:07   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Volvo Ocean Race Start - You Ready?

Hi UC,

I missed this post when you originally made it, otherwise I would have said "YES! I am ready."

But seriously, I am finding this a very disappointing race. I don't know if it is just my perception but the video coverage for this race feels very poor.

Unlike the last race I am seeing no good on-board interviews, the scant footage from the boats is coming from the fixed stern cameras which always seem to have wet lenses and are running a lower resolution than last race. There was some ok helicopter footage but it feels repetitive now and there's only so much of a VOR65 bow ripping through the water that i can handle before I get bored.

Some of the strategic analysis from the shore team is better for me (or at least pitched at a level I can understand).

They got rid of the annoying girl doing the land coverage last time only to replace her with a strident twit who waves his arms around like he is trying to fly.

The race is just losing me. It's not like I don't have an emotional investment, I REALLY want Bouwe Bekking and his team on Brunel to win (Bouwe really won me over in the last race), though I would also be happy if it was David Witt and his team on Scallywag after how they handled that furler pin failure on leg 1. That was some good positive team work and some refreshingly Australian language being used.

So, I am watching this year, but only when I remember, not like last time when my FIRST activity of the morning was to fire up the app and see where the boats were placed.

How about you?

Matt

Edit: Oh yeah, and I just got reminded the web site is buggy as hell. Half the time I have to go directly to YouTube to get the videos because they won't load in the frame on the web site. This is happening on all three home computers, on IE and Chrome.

Tags
race, volvo