Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2014, 10:37   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Viking Hoard Found in Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
You mean like this Viking garden gnome?
No, the Danish for them, nissa sticks in my mind spelling I have no idea.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:52   #47

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
More likely Portuguese from the Cod fishing ships of yesteryear..

Boatman,
Cars mentioned the DNA study citing the Spanish sailors. I can't find it . . . but its certainly possible, as your above quote, about the Portuguese cod fishermen who were prolific fish hunters of the North. You think they were tempted by those tall blonde Viking maidens? Or were they more interested in their couture and hairstyle so popular with the metrosexual males today?
Old 19-10-2014, 17:55   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Dan,
Before international banking or the luxury of living in a protected fortress, people buried their valuables to protect them from theft.
I'm sure the people of Cyprus are happy with their banking protection
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 00:37   #49

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My wise ass remark. Can someone tell me what Danes call them?
Gnomes are called "nisser" in Danish. WE don't have them as paper doll chains that get wrapped around christmas trees. We have cut-out cardboard versions that are hung on picture frames, shelves etc. All the "nisser" are doing strange things as "nisser" are know to be practical jokers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kravlenisser.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	90006   Click image for larger version

Name:	kravleniser 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	90007  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:01   #50

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Dvergur is the term we had in Iceland; it actually means dwarf since gnome is a term and being introduced in 16th century literature. Dwarves, elves, trolls, etc. are grouped together under the term hidden folk, huldufólk.
Old 20-10-2014, 09:09   #51
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

TROLLS and ELVES and GNOMES are all different. Please do NOT confuse these. It's very disturbing if you do.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:16   #52

Boat: Monk 36

I suspect they'll find remnants that will prove this was one of Boatman's earliest deliveries.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:08   #53

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Dvergur is the term we had in Iceland; it actually means dwarf since gnome is a term and being introduced in 16th century literature. Dwarves, elves, trolls, etc. are grouped together under the term hidden folk, huldufólk.
Thanks! carstenb was also kind enough to respond. He answered what I recalled as a kid, nisser. I'll guess dvergur was a Norwegian name or a derivative of?

Thanks again.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:19   #54

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

It comes from Old Norse dvergr.

Quote:
TROLLS and ELVES and GNOMES are all different. Please do NOT confuse these. It's very disturbing if you do.
Not confusing them at all actually. The generic term hidden folk is used in Iceland to avoid calling them by what they are, as some believe this invites mischief if you catch their attention unknowingly. I believe the term Little People in Ireland serves the same purpose.
Old 20-10-2014, 11:38   #55
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

An elf is a creature of Germanic mythology. The elves were originally imagined as a race of minor nature and fertility gods, who are often pictured as youthful-seeming men and women of great beauty living in forests and underground places and caves, or in wells and springs. They have been portrayed to be long-lived or immortal and as beings of magical powers.

A troll is a fearsome member of a mythical anthropomorphic race from Norse mythology. Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants – similar to the ogres of England (also called Trolls at times, see Troller's Gill) – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds. In the Faroe islands, Orkney and Shetland tales, trolls are called trows, adopted from the Norse language when these islands were settled by Vikings.

The meaning of the word troll is unknown. It might have had the original meaning of supernatural or magical with an overlay of malignant and perilous. Another likely suggestion is that it means "someone who behaves violently". In old Swedish law, trolleri was a particular kind of magic intended to do harm. It should also be noted that North Germanic terms such as trolldom (witchcraft) and trolla/trylle (perform magic tricks) in modern Scandinavian languages does not imply any connection with the mythical beings. Moreover, in the sources for Norse mythology, troll can signify any uncanny being, including but not restricted to the Norse giants (jötnar).

A goblin is an evil, crabby, or mischievous creature of folklore, often described as a grotesquely disfigured or gnome-like phantom, that may range in height from that of a dwarf to that of a human. They are attributed with various (sometimes conflicting) abilities, temperaments and appearances depending on the story and country of origin. In some cases goblins have been classified as constant annoying little creatures somewhat related with the celtic brownie.

According to "The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English" the name is probably derived from the Anglo-French gobelin (medieval Latin gobelinus), which is probably a diminutive of Gobel, a name related to the word kobold. Goblin is also related to the French lutin[1]. In addition, there also exist various other alternative spellings of the word goblin, including: Gobblin, gobeline, gobling, goblyn, gobelinus (medieval Latin), and vulgus gobelinum (demon) (Latin).
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Scotland