Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 00:24   #16

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386
Video of boat damage: Hurricane Irma in Florida/Keys

As a fellow sailor who lost his boat to Irma while she stood on the hard in St. Augustine, would any of you mind clarifying what additional prep should have been completed? As a resident of the Tampa area, I’m sure such information would be helpful for the next big storm. I’d really like to know...Do you drop anchors even when tied to piles? Would an abundance of additional fenders help? There are only so many extra lines you can tie when docked and nary any escape from a Boat-on-the-loose in a mooring field, no?
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 12:19   #17

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Video of boat damage: Hurricane Irma in Florida/Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
As a fellow sailor who lost his boat to Irma while she stood on the hard in St. Augustine, would any of you mind clarifying what additional prep should have been completed? As a resident of the Tampa area, I’m sure such information would be helpful for the next big storm. I’d really like to know...Do you drop anchors even when tied to piles? Would an abundance of additional fenders help? There are only so many extra lines you can tie when docked and nary any escape from a Boat-on-the-loose in a mooring field, no?
It appears the one that has been the most loud / rude in this thread has little to no advice / information to share, outside of the "captain obvious" level concerning storm preparations, much like the video itself.

When large scale storms hit all one can do is prepare as best as they can, and then hope for the best end result. Mother Nature cares not about we humans. So much comes down to the luck of the draw so to speak.

I do hope you are able to repair or replace your boat in a most timely fashion.

Fair winds all.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 16:05   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Video of boat damage: Hurricane Irma in Florida/Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
Two practical thing to consider. Mooring fields are never safe. Any boat can break loose and take you out. When in a slip you need lines long enough to keep you off the dock and piles for a maximum expected storm surge. For example a 100' line anchored at a 10' depth secured to a 5' freeboard will shorten about a foot in a 5' surge. Lines to the base of a tree or pile are more secure the those tied higher.Obviously ties to adjacent piles do little good as the lines are too short. Even then a breakaway can create a domino effect. Best is no neighbors and lots of trees to tie to
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida, hurricane