Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2006, 11:44   #1

Boat: 40 ft Fuiji
Vehicle Storage

We will be driving from Canada and picking up a boat in San Carlos Mexico. We were wondering about storage of our vehicle. I presume the marina may have some but also wonder about alternatives as well. We will be permanent liveaboards. I am aware that the car is legal as long as we are and am aware of insurance requirements..
Has anyone had problems with damage or theft and what would the fees be monthly or yearly. I have emailed a couple of marinas but have had no reply.

Terry Fallis
Terry Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 15:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Crime against vehicles is as common in Mexico as any place else clearly no less common. If the vehicle is perceived to be unattended then it is at higher risk. There is nothing unique about Mexico.

The marinas in many places have good security but not in the parking lots as far as I have ever seen. If it was just a plain cheap car I wouldn't so worry much if you were particular where you parked it. If it were a new BMW I would worry a lot.

I'm not sure how to take any reply you might get from from a marina. Would they really tell you they have cars stolen there all the time? About all you should expect is if they will remove your car if you leave it on their property. Suppose they told you sure go ahead and park here? I would find a secure facility for your car if you need to ask here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 17:08   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Vehicle crimes in Mexico?

I've heard from more than one person who said "take your wiper blades off unless it is raining because they will steal them while you have parked your car!" and those folks were talking from personal experience--not urban myth.

I suppose it varies with where you are, they were in Mexico City. But even here in the States...unless you can find a secure facility, long time parking areas are often known as a smorgasbord for car thieves.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 00:32   #4

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Sell the car, it will only depreciate. You can always buy another.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 04:25   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Selling a Canadian titled car in Mexico might be complicated, but I agree with Seafox. Unless it is a classic. Sell it. If it is a Classic, leaving it anywhere in Mexico is not a good idea.

One possible solution: Sell the car in Canada. Rent a car in the US one way to El Paso or other border town. Drive it home, load up, take your stuff to the boat, and drive it back to the US side of the border. Then take public transportation (that will be the exciting part) back to San Carlos. Yes I know the rental company is touchy about taking cars into Mexico. I might forget to tell them. Oops. Sorry.

Two adages I like: It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Never ask a question if you don't like the probable answer.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote