Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2017, 20:35   #1
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42
Vancouver BC to Ensenada MX

Can someone tell me what the ideal month would be to sail from Vancouver BC down to Ensenada Mexico?

Thanks in advance.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 23:28   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Vancouver BC to Ensenada MX

We sailed Tofino to SF in July. Many people are trying to find a balance between going late in the season to avoid spending too much time in Southern California before going into Mexico in late October or November and not leaving so late in the season that fall/winter storms beat you up off the coast of WA/OR. We didn't mind spending a lot of time in S CA. In fact we spent 7 weeks in just San Francisco.

7 weeks in SF for $130 - Team Giddyup
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:55   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

avoid so cal by going to ensenada instead of san diego.
bring fuel receipt from last fueling just in case. they may not need it but it helps.
visa and all should be able to be obtained in ensenada port captains office, where check in is, or in marina coral or marina cruiseport or marina baja naval.
check weather before you go. worst part is before point conception.
after point conception is smoother sailing.
i left so cal in april 2011. most folks leave so cal in november to miss winter storms north of turtle bay.
it is 19 hours from sd to ensenada. you must check in in ensenada, your first available port of entry into mexico.
smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06   #4

We left Port Alberni in mid August...nights were pretty cold already and we were happy to have a full enclosure. I'd go earlier in the season next time.

By passing the USA will be about 9 days trip but worth it in my opinion as US customs are becoming more a pain in the ass for Canadians every year.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:31   #5

Boat: Camano 41

We left in early September, but we were also restricted from entering Mexico until November 1, the official end of hurricane season, by our insurance. We stayed at the Police dock in SD for 7 days, stayed another week at a reciprocal yacht club, went to Costco using the Downwind Marine pickup truck, did any last marine shopping, got our US exit papers then sailed into Ensenada. No problem.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 17:51   #6
cruiser

I appreciate the responses, thank you. I was thinking of setting sail the beginning of April so I was in Ensenada for a few weeks before sailing onto Acapulco to wait out the hurricane season. After hurricane season it will be down to the Galapagos Islands then headed West to French Polynesia and beyond. Just wasn't really sure if it was a good idea to leave the first week or April or not. I'm not familiar with how heavy spring storms are in the Pacific North West.

@Eder....Yes, I was planning on by-passing the USA. There will be 3 of us so 24hrs a day until we get to Ensenada will be no problem. I have sailed a few times south, once to SF and cringed every time I had to deal with customs. I found that according to them, you're a terrorist until you prove different which can be a very hard thing to do when dealing with paranoid officials. I learned after my second dealing with them that I have no problem spending my money at home or in Mexico.
Old 02-11-2017, 18:37   #7

Are you taking your 27 Catalina south? I mean, I don't want to tell you that a April passage from the NW to mexico is dumb on a 27' boat or really any boat for that matter but... that's a pretty dumb idea. Unless you really want to by cold and beat up. I know a Oyster 53 that left Puget Sound in June to Mexico and said it was the worst passage of his life.

You are worried about US officials which I think as a US citizen, I could say the same about your border agents or I think you call them constables... Last time I sailing to Victoria from the San Juans and checked in by phone, super convenient except for the customs officers that showed up at 11pm and spent 2 hours going through my boat with a fine tooth comb. They all suck, no matter what country.

If I were you, I would be placing my concern on the high likelyhood of heavy weather patterns all through June. Maybe wait until Aug/Sept and sail when most weather pilots recommend.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 18:58   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Are you taking your 27 Catalina south? I mean, I don't want to tell you that a April passage from the NW to mexico is dumb on a 27' boat or really any boat for that matter but... that's a pretty dumb idea. Unless you really want to by cold and beat up. I know a Oyster 53 that left Puget Sound in June to Mexico and said it was the worst passage of his life.

You are worried about US officials which I think as a US citizen, I could say the same about your border agents or I think you call them constables... Last time I sailing to Victoria from the San Juans and checked in by phone, super convenient except for the customs officers that showed up at 11pm and spent 2 hours going through my boat with a fine tooth comb. They all suck, no matter what country.

If I were you, I would be placing my concern on the high likelyhood of heavy weather patterns all through June. Maybe wait until Aug/Sept and sail when most weather pilots recommend.

No, I don't have the Catalina anymore. I know that would never make the trip. I sold it and bought a Westsail 42 in August. I guess I should update my profile.

I agree officials suck in just about every country I've been to on a plane, except Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Thailand, Malaysia, well, basically all of SE Asia. The USA is the worst I've found. Ours are no different than yours, but I can tell ours exactly what I think of them and not be denied entry. Say anything to USA enforcement officials and bullets seem to fly.

USA cruisers are some of the greatest people I've met. It's the USA officials that leave the bad taste in the mouth.
Old 02-11-2017, 20:35   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

The short of it is, your travel plan covers two regions that have their fair weather patterns at somewhat opposing times. I've run down in April twice in stout power yachts, and it's hard to get a good window. This past spring we waited all month and left on the 29th. Be patient and ready and go when there is a widespread lull in the storm activity well out around north of Hawaii. I like this site: http://windy.com

Otherwise and as a backup plan, go in late August to mid September, depending on the weather season. You should be able to be insured for Ensenada year-round and wait there for November to head on.

Customs inspector is a post coveted by certain anal folks in countries everywhere, and everywhere they're all a bit on edge but by and large the vast majority want to process you thru quickly and effectively. Be respectful without being timid, and don't bring your emotions or personality into it.

So, that said, I'd suggest making your departure from Pt Roberts and be checked in to the US already. 2/3 of the boats in the harbour are Canadian... Then you've got that covered if you do need a port call in between.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07   #10
cruiser

I'd like to leave in April, but for now that remains tentative. I'll be keeping my eyes wide open.

Yes, windy.com is a good site. I follow them on twitter and good point you made about Pt. Roberts. You never know when you might need a port during the sail.
Old 05-11-2017, 18:50   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate View Post
..... I'd suggest making your departure from Pt Roberts and be checked in to the US already. 2/3 of the boats in the harbour are Canadian... Then you've got that covered if you do need a port call in between.
I think that is a great solution to find a Canada friendly US port to clear in and then work your way down the US coast as weather windows allow in March/April to get ahead of the Mexican systems towards Acapulco.

I have actually done a delivery trip on a 60 ft racing yacht departing in December from Vancouver.
We cleared into US at Neah Bay, Washington and then waited for a window.

Need to check if still possible at Neah or definitely at Port Angeles where they still have that entry service

That would work for you as an alternate to Point Roberts and then shift up to Neah for offing
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote