Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 19:24   #16

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Value of a Repaired Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thread Drift.............................
Hey Aquarian.... hows the new old boat going... long time no see...
Spent the day scraping bottom paint. Looks like she had a not so good repair once, but nothing I can't fix. She is keeping me busy and smiling that's for sure. :-) - think I might name her Happy Girl (in Swedish).
Old 20-03-2011, 19:34   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
The 2-wheeler issue is actually based on the "assumption" that it will never be true again, something tweaked, rolling sideways, rather than the "somebody bit the Big One on this."

I'm gathering that a damaged, and then well-repaired boat is a No Big Deal. That's what I was hoping to hear. And you guys are all experienced experts I understand?
Thank you 97, but I believe I am the only true all experienced expert here...

In my opinion, I say, without hesitation, listen to boatman61.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 19:40   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Value of a Repaired Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
Spent the day scraping bottom paint. Looks like she had a not so good repair once, but nothing I can't fix. She is keeping me busy and smiling that's for sure. :-) - think I might name her Happy Girl (in Swedish).
Damn.... my Google translator won't let me convert Happy Girl...

Back to post... its not just the Caribbean... its all the way up 'Hurricane Alley'... NC and beyond... I've seen boats lifted onto pilings in the Neuse...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 19:52   #19

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32

I don't think it matters much if your talking about old boats or boats that are going to be relatively cheap to begin with. Fancy expensive boats probably will be an issue. If your salvaging the goal is to pay a lot less then market for it when your done right? Otherwise why do it, just buy a good one. My boat was made in 1964. It wasn't "salvaged" but it has had major repairs done to it. Some previous owner had redone all the decks. At somepoint someone patched a hole in the stern, the wiring has been redone, it is not the original engine, the fuel and water tanks are not original, It's a 45 year old boat stuff happens to boats over the years you just have to fix them. I'm glad I don't have to redo the decks or fix the hole in her. They seem like they were done well, didn't bother me. I paid more for her today then the original owner bought her for new in 64.
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 21:29   #20

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I don't think it matters much if your talking about old boats or boats that are going to be relatively cheap to begin with. Fancy expensive boats probably will be an issue. If your salvaging the goal is to pay a lot less then market for it when your done right? Otherwise why do it, just buy a good one. My boat was made in 1964. It wasn't "salvaged" but it has had major repairs done to it. Some previous owner had redone all the decks. At somepoint someone patched a hole in the stern, the wiring has been redone, it is not the original engine, the fuel and water tanks are not original, It's a 45 year old boat stuff happens to boats over the years you just have to fix them. I'm glad I don't have to redo the decks or fix the hole in her. They seem like they were done well, didn't bother me. I paid more for her today then the original owner bought her for new in 64.
You make a very good point if you are trying to "flip it" or sell soon after repair/purchase. Either way, those that live "lifestyles of the rich and famous" will not likely buy a used boat anyway. It is more likely they will commission their builds. If it is repaired correctly then a good survey and pictures will prove it out. You have to make sure you get it at a price that won't bite you after repairs, and that you have the repairs done "right."

PS. Boatman - It is pronounced, using American English spelling, Gairna Fleeka.