Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 18:09   #16

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Using bilge for storage

we are normally dry bilge but that being said water across the deck with a hatch open and that situation changes fast / a good place for storing wine in bladders with a larger zip lock bag over the top (for sundowners) and lots of hardly ever used things in clip lock bags / hand tools, spare bilge pump and hoses / forward we have 15 kilo CQR with 10mtrs 8mm chain / 100mtrs 12mm rope, easy to access through front hatch / swages, thimbles and tools have migrated slightly out of the bilge to a forward locker on the stem in front of the anchor chain / emergency water 2x25 ltr drums either side of the mast step in the bilge and another 20ltr drum in the bilge just forward of the lazarette all these things are either impervious to sea water or protected from it solidly / they all need to be secured in place in case of knock down / it is also interesting small things that have been lost that turn up in the bilge while checking bilge pump strainers or looking for something else. if something is dropped it's called lost to the bilge monster. to answer your question if you take care of water ingress of your stored goods and secure items so as not to block pumps and have heavy objects hammering around you can store just about anything in the bilge
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:48   #17

In the aft section of my bilge I keep 2*90 Gallon water tanks. In front of these is my 20 gallon grey water tank. In front of this is one of my spare anchors and 15 metres of chain plus an area for tools, bolts, shackles and other spares. Further forward I use the next space for beer storage and then there are two reasonable spaces for shoes, walking boots, slippers and sandals.

Running through all this is a solid length of hose that takes the water from the anchor locker and directs it right down to the lowest point in the keel so that it does not dribble through all the afore-mentioned storage.
Nadezhda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:54   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I consider the bilge to be that area along the center-line under the sole and cockpit that collects misguided and nefarious liquids, hopefully just water. My engine is under the cockpit and the fuel tank under the engine. The top of my built-in potable water tanks are about 7cm under the saloon sole. There's a 1m X 1m x 1.25m deep sump well forward the diesel tank and aft the water tanks. The areas under my settee, berths, and galley have a slight slope, but are dry... in my book that's regular storage.
Old 27-11-2018, 18:25   #19

Boat: Colegate 26

Resurrecting an old thread!

/me waves arms wildly in all directions

EACH of my 43' catamaran bilges could probably hold more than 200 gallons of water without disturbing the cabin soles. They are marginally compartmentalized, in that there are "rib walls", but have water passage holes drilled at their low points, along with a long "spine" at their widest points separating port and starboard of each hull (it's rather difficult to access the outer compartment of each hull ).

It's a HUGE volume of space, and I ponder its usefulness occasionally. One thing I've thought of putting down there is dive gear. I haven't measured, but I believe standard sized tanks could lay in-line with the hull in the bilge. Further, I've considered having a DC compressor (stored elsewhere) that automatically kicks on at high battery voltage to fill the tank(s), and valving to make use of the tanks for compressed air tools. But that's mostly day dreaming.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 18:36   #20

Your water SHOULD be in the bilge. Anything else under there will get ugly fast. even wine or food cans.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 19:41   #21

Bilge of my new boat (Hunter C37) is very deep. Can put batteries and more here, which is great for weight.

Absolutely could put spare chain, food, wine, etc.. and I intend to as long as it is properly stored.

Bilge does get wet. Most of the water seems to be from water intrusions in the mast. We have in-mast halyards and I feel this is where the water finds its way.

Not a lot of water. But certainly not dry.

Other than the batteries, I would not put things that are extremely sensitive to water there. Why would I need or want to when I can just store it somewhere absolutely dry, and put the cans or whatever in the bilge instead?
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, storage