Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 13:07   #1

Used Ovni Yacht

Ovni 435 used.

What is good/bad with this model?

What is good/bad with aluminiumboats?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 13:31   #2

Boat: Valiant 50
We very nearly bought a 43 (the older model) a year ago. The only issue or concern was the low AVS (as far as I could glean it was around 100-110 degrees, but the actual number is state secret).

In the end, I guess, its only a number...lots of Ovnis go high latitude sailing and so maybe this number is not the be all and end all that I once thought it was.

Loved the shallow draft, the bullet proof aluminum hull and the quirky French design. To me its still the perfect exploration yacht to take you up remote rivers and bays and inlets. Aluminum is only a worry with electrolysis, with care, its not impossible to ensure that you are not some giant anode.

(We ended up with a Cat because of the huge live aboard space and an even lower AVS - I've never pretended to be rational)
Old 10-08-2008, 13:47   #3

I want a liftingkeel mono OR a multi.

I would like to testsail one and look at the interiorwork. And the electrolyses is a big ? for me. About stability i am not affraid when Jimmy Cornell have sailed x thousands nm with it. And that was/is a 43.

Any problem with the liftingkeelsystem?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 15:35   #4

Boat: Catana 431
No, the lifting keel design is simple and robust. On our 435, the keel and rudder are adjusted hydraulically (on older and smaller Ovni's, this is done by haleyards). Huge advantage about the hydraulic system is the clever use of rupture disk's. This is a small brass plate that will burst in the event of a pressure rise (will happen in case of a grounding or if heavy floating debris is encountered). When this disc bursts, the pressure in the system is released and the affected component (keel or rudder) swings aft with no damage at all. The rupture disk's are replaced in less than a minute.
As to the other advantages; the ability to beach the boat is probably the most famous. The ability to reduce draught and navigate shallow waters is equally pleasing. Finally, we also use the position of the centerboard to trim the boat under sail. It works great, and with the wind on the aft quarter, raising the centerboard increases speed by 0,5 - 1 knots + improves the rolling motion.
During our more than one year in the Med, we frequently encountered huge areas with tuna nets. Especialli during night time, it was wery difficult to get out of such area, and since strong steel wires are used in the surface, these nets are a real danger to boats. In our case, we lifted both keel and rudder, making the bottom totally smooth, and the wires just sliding under our boat.
There are many other examples.
Regarding the "socalled poor avs"; don't let that pull you off. I'll gladly comment that in more details - should you desire.

Finally; given some happy familiar circumstances, our boat is now for sale - advertised elsewhere.
ATLAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ovni